Shooting Doe

Meriwether Mike

The largest does are usually the matriarchs of the deer family. They run the show and decide who gets run off or can join the family. They set the timing of the rut as well as other events. I have read a recent D & DH article that recommended leaving the matriarchs and shooting the next younger age class of does. It made sense so that is what I am doing this year.

Waddams

I just know I haven't killed a deer yet so when we get back from our Christmas trip, the last two weekends are gonna be on food plot over watch and the first decent sized deer that walks out is going home with me. I had a few guys in the club full on meat give me 3 deer worth at the start of rifle season, we've got 130 lbs of venison in the freezer, so I was waiting for one that was worth the trouble of dragging out. Saw a bunch of deer on limited sits (I hate it when life gets in the way of hunting), never saw one I thought was worth the trouble. We're covered in doe's and small bucks. Just one doe with a nice long rectangle body (the small ones have the more square body) is all I want at this point.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I dont put that much thought into it, i try and wait for 2 to come out and take the biggest...usually that results in a doe and not a button....

This. ^ Closest to the logging road also comes into play. I don't need to prove to myself I can drag a deer all day long. Already did all of that in my ute.

Deernut3

Shooting button bucks is one reason I'm picky about shooting doe. I'm planning to better my optics this off-season to try to help with that and judging racks and such.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

sleepr71

This. ^ Closest to the logging road also comes into play. I don't need to prove to myself I can drag a deer all day long. Already did all of that in my ute.

After having back surgery in my younger years…I use tools now. IF I can drag it to the edge of a field,or to a big enough area to get a tractor to..I go get a tractor with a front end loader on it. Easy peasy :) Shoot,just a half a sheet of 3/4 plywood in the bed of the truck will make pulling one up a Breeze(vs lifting 150-200 lbs). Learned my lesson the hard way…:(

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
After having back surgery in my younger years…I use tools now. IF I can drag it to the edge of a field,or to a big enough area to get a tractor to..I go get a tractor with a front end loader on it. Easy peasy :) Shoot,just a half a sheet of 3/4 plywood in the bed of the truck will make pulling one up a Breeze(vs lifting 150-200 lbs). Learned my lesson the hard way…:(

My tractor doesn't have an FEL. I just tie a rope around the hind legs and the head, get one of them up in the bed of the truck, tie it off then pull the other half up.

I've thought about getting one of those receiver hitch hoists but then I find better junk to spend my money on. :bounce:

sleepr71

My tractor doesn't have an FEL. I just tie a rope around the hind legs and the head, get one of them up in the bed of the truck, tie it off then pull the other half up.

I've thought about getting one of those receiver hitch hoists but then I find better junk to spend my money on. :bounce:

I dunno..IF you had one of those,that spins & can drop it in the bed..that would be a back saver..

Lilly001

I dunno..IF you had one of those,that spins & can drop it in the bed..that would be a back saver..
I just ordered one.
I hope it works for other stuff too.
I spend a lot more $ on “stuff” of dubious worth than it. So we will see the next heavy object I have to load.
It is supposed to be good for up to 300 lbs.

B. White

I'm not a big doe killer anyway but I never shoot one anymore that has fawns with her.

Getting soft I reckon.

My attitude depends on what I'm seeing on the place I'm hunting, but for the most part I like hunting and seeing deer better than killing them. Growing up it was rare to see one where I lived and the old folks I hunted with wouldn't shoot a doe. I've gone a 10 yr stretch before and not shot one, but I was seeing pretty equal amounts of bucks and does. I'll shoot one at the house late season, if I'm seeing a lot and if I'm seeing a lot of roadkill. I'd rather eat one of any size than to drag it off from the end of the driveway. I haven't hunted a property where you could see a browse line since the 90s, so I figure there are plenty of them being killed by everybody else.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I just know I haven't killed a deer yet so when we get back from our Christmas trip, the last two weekends are gonna be on food plot over watch and the first decent sized deer that walks out is going home with me. I had a few guys in the club full on meat give me 3 deer worth at the start of rifle season, we've got 130 lbs of venison in the freezer, so I was waiting for one that was worth the trouble of dragging out. Saw a bunch of deer on limited sits (I hate it when life gets in the way of hunting), never saw one I thought was worth the trouble. We're covered in doe's and small bucks. Just one doe with a nice long rectangle body (the small ones have the more square body) is all I want at this point.
My selection process is similar, but I seldom see deer so I’m usually happy to shoot the first one giving themselves up. I let a bunch walk this year, but they were all small.…like really Small. That buck I killed was probably only a year and a half, but was perfect in my book!