Shooting Doe

uturn

OP- I'm sure science will say it really doesn't matter a whole lot on wild herds. For me I think the older does are better carriers and providers. So they walk for us. We are carrying capacity thinkers not what the freezer needs thinkers.Now days gone today likely means gone tomorrow. IMO our numbers are not what they use to be.
I’m in with this mind set…although I really do not shoot does much at all anymore!

As mentioned science probably says different as I am sure many others will as well but, I have not seen in areas that I hunt an over abundance of does or deer as a whole!

I have learned a ton on the local herd and how it was affected by the killing of the Matriarch Doe and the herds or doe group‘s recovery or the length of time it took to have one of her offspring doe fill her position as the herd leader!!

A very interesting, eye opening and learning experience for me in my journey with Whitetail and has been a game changer in how I manage and hunt them!!

Just my .02!

Last edited:

Hunter922

I have learned a ton on the local herd and how it was affected by the killing of the Matriarch Doe
^^^ Agree completely.. Those does are to be left alone. Although my son has put tension on the bow string more than once threatening to shoot a few over the last 10 years... :bounce:

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I've killed 4 does off my new property this year, but then I am covered up with them as this is the 1st year its been hunted since 2016.

That being said, I normally only shoot 1 or 2 does, and will do so in the following seasons at my place.

Still have 3 buck tags, rut starts next month and I may or may not fill one or all of them. I do know I will not shoot another doe.

JDBrown

That one that walks around looking up in the trees and blowing and stomping all the time. I hate that one, and revenge tastes sweet fried and covered with gravy. :)

I don't shoot any on my place, because I would like to see more deer than I have at the moment.
I've got one of those, that I've been trying to shoot the last few seasons, she's always got two younguns with her, and she knows to check stands, blowing, stomping, makes all kinds of racket.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
125 pound doe is a giant, I haven’t seen one that big in Georgia ever
137 and 119 , this afternoon ! Won’t shoot anymore off this property this season but really should kill several more . I couldn’t find a little one in neither one and I can usually find them . Both had 2 big fawns with them , the one I shot had 2 button heads IMG_4624.jpeg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If you shoot two in one day or two in the season what is the difference? Just curious..
Staggering the age group of the does you shoot, not necessarily the number of does or when you shoot them.