6mm Creedmoor - Does anyone shoot it anymore?

idsman75

I recently became aware of a cartridge that came out a few years ago but I've never heard mention in discussion -- in person or online. Does anyone shoot 6mm Creedmoor anymore? I did some searches on Facebook and it seems there were discussions about it for a couple years after it came out and then completely fell off the face of the earth. Now I'm curious if it was an answer to a question that was never asked, was replaced by something superior, or if it was never a hot item to begin with.

BriarPatch99

I have looked seriously at the 6mm Creedmoor, but now that several .243 Win makers are using faster twist barrels ... I will probably stick with the .243 because I have all the cases I will ever need ... all I lacked was a faster twist barrel for the longer .243" bullets ....

I see that Ruger will be chambering the 6mm Creedmoor in the Gen II American supposedly first quarter 2024... may eye ball one those ... not that I "need" one !

As far as I can tell the 6 CDM does nothing a fast barrel .243 won't do

Dub

It is very much alive and well among the competition shooters who developed the cartridge for their needs.

JR924

I have looked seriously at the 6mm Creedmoor, but now that several .243 Win makers are using faster twist barrels ... I will probably stick with the .243 because I have all the cases I will ever need ... all I lacked was a faster twist barrel for the longer .243" bullets ....

I see that Ruger will be chambering the 6mm Creedmoor in the Gen II American supposedly first quarter 2024... may eye ball one those ... not that I "need" one !

As far as I can tell the 6 CDM does nothing a fast barrel .243 won't do
Please define what a fast twist 243 barrel is. I have a 1:10. What bullet weights does that generally support. Thanks in advance.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Please define what a fast twist 243 barrel is. I have a 1:10. What bullet weights does that generally support. Thanks in advance.
it may struggle with bullet weights over 100gr. A fast twist would be 1:7 or 1:8. Sometimes you can overcome some twist rate shortfalls with with more velocity.

you can also over rotate one

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks, guess I have a coyote gun or a short range deer gun. Pretty much bought if for coyotes.
a 100gr Berger bullet is only marginal unstable in a 1:10 or it is right at the limits. Using a flat based bullet might make it acceptable. There have been many deer killed with an 80-95gr bullet coming from a .243 outside of what some consider short range for deer (100-150) yards.

JR924

Going to range in the next few weeks to test 4 kinds of ammo of varying bullet weights. Will post the 5 shot groups (after barrel cooling) I get with each.

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

According to Cal at precisionrifleblog.com the 6mm Creedmoor is still somewhat popular on the competition circuit. Getting into any of the new 6mm cartridges for non-competition guns is kind of a gamble. They seem to have new ones popping up all the time and plenty of those won’t make it. In fact, the most popular PRS cartridge has zero factory loadings and only a couple of companies that make the brass,……that’s the 6 Dasher. It’s a hand loaders cartridge, period! Who knows if the 6mm Max gains any traction.

Last edited:

Dub

According to Cal at precisionrifleblog.com the 6mm Creedmoor is still somewhat popular on the competition circuit. Getting into any of the new 6mm cartridges for non-competition guns is kind of a gamble. They seem to have new ones popping up all the time and plenty of those won’t make it. In fact, the most popular PRS cartridge has zero factory loadings and only a couple of companies that make the brass,……that’s the 6 Dasher. It’s a had loaders cartridge, period! Who knows if the 6mm Max gains any traction.

George Gardner (GA Precision) Tom Jacobs (Vapor Trail Bullets) put their noggins together and conjured up yet another 6mm wonder cartridge, the 6GT....sorta Dasher-ish.

SAAMI listed two years ago.

It has my interest as a target cartridge that'll run off small primers.

There is factory match ammo from Hornady out there, but of greater interest is it being listed on Shooters World Powder reloading data and same with Hodgdon.

Forster, Hornady & RCBS making dies for it...maybe Redding, too...not sure.

No plans on ever hunting with it....but can see some fun poking paper and whatnot.

Buckstop

I shot one for awhile. Was a 1 in 8" barrel that I had swapped on to a M70 for a bit. I did like it, but 243 cal never really grabbed me for deer hunting. I tend to prefer 25 cal on up. Still have the barrel and goodies if I ever fall into a win short action. It shot pretty well with 105 HVLD's and 88 HH's with RL-16.

Bobby Bigtime

Our oldest daughter has a 6 mm Creed. Full blown custom everything with a superscope. It is crazy accurate (but should be for that kind of dough) and she has popped a couple antelope, deer and coyotes. It is a bit heavy for long stalking stints though. I will probably start loading for it here sometime. The various 6 mm cartridges are a good bridge from the furry stuff to the light hooves and can sure kill bullseyes. Nice cartridge.

Buckstop

All this 6cm talk is giving me an itch to put one together again for a coyote rifle. Been thinking might be my first suppressed rig. Cut the 25” #3 Bart barrel I have down to 18”. Should still be plenty fast enough with light varmint bullets.