Firearm Choices

chuckdog

I was reading another thread and saw comparisons being made between this one and that one.

I read things along the lines of hating this one, loving that one, and I agree with different strokes for different folks and applications.

I know that many things have changed for me over the years. Things that I once considered undesirable now have more appeal. Plastics, two stage triggers, 9mm caliber, selfloading rifles, double action anything, electronic sights, automatic transmissions, lower easy entry smooth riding trucks, higher easy exit smooth riding cars, and the list could continue forever.

On firearms, I can't recall many types that I absolutely hated. Due to tee-tee poor customer service there are manufacturers that I steer clear of. Any thing I shoot well I like. Anything I can't get to shoot, I dislike. I've learned not judge a model based on one unit of that product.

Application makes a difference too. I recently had an AR magazine fed bolt action rifle that I couldn't get along with. Nothing wrong, by design it simply doesn't fit my usual type of shooting. In order for the next round to be properly fed you must close the bolt much faster than this ole benchrest/varminter does or it ain't going to be reliable. Yea I'm disappointed, but I understand it's just not compatible with my application. (The strong spring of the AR mag will toss the round up and sometimes out in a slow motion push feed environment.)

I've always enjoyed shooting T/C Contender pistols. Bought my first Contender around 1980. I admire the company's customer service and I have a first generation $200 Compass 5R turnbolt that with a little trigger work outshoots many target .308's I've owned. This brings me to the Encore rifles. I don't know how many I've owned, (a bunch) but I've yet to find one that lives up the hype they enjoyed 15 or twenty years ago. In all honesty, I don't recall a single centerfire combo I've shot that would do better than 2" groups. I swear at them while other folks swear by them. I ain't ever wanted something to shoot well anymore than this design.

On the other end of the spectrum we have the once most undesirable AR design. I had no interest in any selfloader, but the AR's reputation as a high maintenance pea shooter made them bottom of the heap for me.

Not too far in to the new century I happened into a DPMS 24" heavy barrel .308. I upgraded to a Jard trigger and found this thing out shot every bolt rifle I'd had. Five shot one hole groups were the norm. 100% reliable with normal cleanings and accuracy beyond anything I had owned to that point. Needless to say, I ate lot of crow!

The 2008 election raised the price to a point that sent this rifle to a new owner, but the ice had been broken.

I've done a 180° on a lot of things. A couple month back I even went so far as to buy a bottle of Jack Daniels! It was a Single Barrel/Barrel Proof version, but it was Jack Daniels. Anyone that has known me any length of time would tell you that would never happen. (It was better than expected, but I doubt it will start a trend.)

Another early morning ramble.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

transfixer

I've changed my mind on various things as well over the years, back in the 80's and early nineties i disliked AR's, I was never a fan of the .223/5.56 cartridge, still aren't , fast foward about 6yrs ago, I got my first AR in .300bo, I've now built about 8 or 9 of them in various calibers from .300bo to .458socom, currently own 5, 7.62x39 being my favorite,
i used to be big into revolvers, more so than self loading pistols, not so much anymore, I still have one single action 45lc, but every other handgun I have is magazine fed.
Used to be a Ford truck guy through and through, drive a LS engine powered Chevy truck now, nothing Ford makes or has made in the last 15yrs gives me confidence or makes me want to own one.
Used to only carry concealed at the 3 or 4 oclock position , IWB, thought that was the only way to carry,, I now carry mostly appendix,,, ( i credit that to my stepson's influence, who is LE and showed me the advantages of doing so)

Mattval

We need to make this a Sunday morning thing.

Mattval

In fact there is a couple of us here that would be good candidates for a weekly post/article

Dub

You had me nodding my head in agree right until the Jack Daniels madness. I was always a rum, tequila shooters with ice cold suds, Jimmy Beam or Evan Williams sorta drinker. :rofl:

Next weekend will make three years alcohol free for me. I replaced drinking with handguns. :)

Easy-to-enter trucks ?

9mm?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I believe that with age and maturity comes a change in taste.

I'm old enough that I wanted a lever action for my first deer rifle, like every other kid, for a lot of reasons.

Thru the years, I have done it all rifle wise. I wanted a Sendero with a big scope. I wanted a .300 WM. I wanted a BAR. I wanted a Steyr Mountain Rifle. And a Steyr Scout. I wanted an AR. And the list goes on. And on.

This year, I hunted with a Hawken and a Savage 99.

I used to trade trucks at least once a year. I've owned and liked/disliked them all.

Now I have been driving the same stuff for a decade, with no plans to change.

I have developed an interest in things that LAST. I used to wear ball caps and chunk em for the next one.

Now I have become a "real hat" guy like my Daddy, and appreciate the fact that my Minnetonka leather outback "huntin' hat" with the moccasin band I made and coyote claws I caught will last me the rest of my life, and go along on all adventures...

I have finally put down the Tacticool Switchblades in favor of a drawer full of old school pocketknives, and belt type sheath knives.

Leather holsters for carry guns, and I no longer own any tennis shoes, and haven't for a few years now that I think about it.

That's my ramble...

rmp

Good read. Thanks for posting.
Application absolutely makes a difference as does one’s perspective.

I grew up with Bushnell and Tasco for optics. Even dad used the same which of course influenced my decisions. Grandpa had a gold ring Leupold and it was something special to look through. Even a privilege. Fast forward a number of years and I bought my first Leupold on close out which was still expensive to me at that time. I was the envy of my hunting circle. Within 5 years or so, I Leupolds on everything and was proud. Then came the disgust. After sending a few back with broken erector assemblies, I realized they weren’t all I’d once thought. It was just the next level in my little world according to magazine advertisements and of course the fact that grandpa had one. The difference was grandpa shot 3-4 rounds a year and I shot 100’s upon 100’s. A lifetime warranty is useless when you need that product most and it fails. I still have a few that appear to be bombproof.

Similar beginnings with Chevrolet. A family affair. We always worked our vehicles hauling & towing and someone’s truck was always in my dads shop or the local repair shop if too much for us. Spun bearings, 4L60, starters, calipers locking up, water pumps…always something. Finally one day I’d decided to try something different and I remember my dads words verbatim trying to talk me out of it. It’s been 10 years now and there’s not a Chevrolet truck left..from grandpa on down, although he doesn’t drive anymore. None are without fault but these work better for us.

I could go on about other trials through the years. Bottom line, Sometimes we try things and are pleasantly surprised and sometimes disappointed. First hand experience is the teacher. Not someone else’s opinion. Even though you might trust them…they might be speaking of the one bad example they saw or the one good example. Or worst yet, hearsay. See for yourself. You shouldn’t live in a bubble cursing everything that doesn’t line up with your way of thinking. Keep an open mind and you just might be surprised.

lonewolf247

Nice morning ramble's going on in here!

I've always loved firearms! My beginnings started at an very early age with a Red Ryder, then a few years later, I was given a Benjamin Pump, in .177 cal.

At about 10, I got my first adult firearm, it was a Franchi 48AL, and it is probably still my favorite shotgun, in 20 gauge at least.

At 14 or 15, my brother and I, picked and sold, enough pecans to fund each a Remington 1100 in 12 Gauge. Mine was 3" magnum.

I still own all of these above firearms, except the original Red Ryder I had. My Benjamin pump is approaching 50 years old, and it still functions as it should!

For deer hunting, I always wanted a Browning Bar, in 30-06. We hunted with dogs, and most members, older than me had Remington 742's and were trading them off for Bars, and I liked the look of them. So, at 18, I bought me one to hunt with. I used it for 15 years, then sold it to buy another one, but it was a BAR Lightweight Stalker. This one is my main deer rifle today.

So, between 18, and 20, I felt like my collection should include a .22 LR, and a revolver of some sort. So I bought a Ruger 10/22, and a used Ruger Security Six, in .357 magnum.

All of the guns to this point, were sentimental to me, because they were either birthday and Christmas presents, from my parents, or firearms I purchased by my own means, that I worked extremely hard to get! Being that I was <20 years old, and working part time, or doing sideline work for cash. That said, I still own all of those, minus the Red Ryder, and the first BAR.

I considered the firearms I had at that time, to be my minimum requirements, and I deemed them necessary. So, for all of my 20's, and into my mid 30's, I didn't buy any more firearms.

About my mid 30's, I came across a few really good deals in pawn shops, and I started to buy a few of them, just for pleasure shooting, and wanting to start a bigger collection.

Fast forward to now, I have bought and sold several firearms, to fund other firearms or optics, and all of these guns really have no sentimental value to me, so at any given time, I buy or sell, just to try new things, and satisfy my love and passion of shooting, hunting and such.

As far as vehicles, I've always been a pick-up truck man. I don't like driving cars very much. My first truck was a Toyota single cab, and I bought it to be fuel efficient, while attending college. Next I bought a Nissan single cab, to do the same as the previous one. I really was not a fan of the smaller trucks, but it seemed to make the most sense, going to school, working part time, and on a tight budget.

Once I got settled in on my permanent job, that I still have now, I started buying full size Chevy and GMC trucks. I have had several in the last few decades. I'd trade them about every 5 years. My current one, is a GMC 2500 HD, and I'm content with it. It's 7 years old, and I don't plan on buying another one anytime soon, unless I'd start having mechanical problems.

So anyhow, as I've gotten older I am trying to live life a little slower and more simple. I don't need the latest and greatest of anything. I will keep the sentimental firearms forever, and trade a few of the others.

I did recently buy a couple of AR-15's, I'm just getting in the game, so that platform, is giving me some new interest for now.

Ya'll have a great day!

doomtrpr_z71

I've had perceptions changed after owning several firearms:
Springfield 1911s aren't special
Springfield XD s aren't special
AK s aren't special
AR s aren't unreliable
Glocks are nice but overpriced
Sig striker guns are awesome
AR-10 s are entirely too heavy
Remington is nothing more than a name on a shadow of it's former self
6.5 grendel is overated
40 s&w doesn't do anything that 9mm doesn't do
380 is a viable round with modern bullets
Revolvers are not the gold standard of reliability

As far as trucks go.... My granddad owned ford's, my dad Chevrolets, my best friend in highschool had a 89 f150, I had a 89 k1500, he sold it after a year because it was a Ford and I still own that 89 k1500 and even after 200k+ miles of a teenager driving it, it still runs. My company truck is a daily reminder why I don't buy trucks that aren't Chevrolets.

TJay

A good thread to chime in on. Musings about firearms, trucks and liquor.
My first rifle was a Marlin 336 which I had for a few years until it was stolen out of my truck by a guy I went to high school with. I had no way to prove it other than second hand information. My bad anyway, rifle was in plain sight and the doors were unlocked. My next rifle was a Ruger 77 and my first bolt action rifle (except for .22's). I believe that was probably the early eighties and about that time I got into reloading. I've owned a sold a bunch of rifles since then, most of them bolt action centerfires. I never got into the whole AR/AK thing and I tried. All this is leading up to something that I ponder on regularly, and that is MOA accuracy. My only requirement for a bolt action deer rifle is that it can shoot an inch or less. And this puzzles me because now and for most of my hunting life the type of terrain I like to hunt are ranges of less than 100 yards. Why do I get spun up on trying to make a rifle shoot under an inch and then go hunting and shoot a deer at 40 yards? The answer that I settled on is that I'm an "enthusiast". This excuse works on a lot of things besides deer rifles too.
Now my eyes are bad enough that I'm just as likely to flinch into a tiny group as to actually shoot one but that's ok too.
I've had some bad experiences with used trucks so I've always bought new. My rule was to own the truck for twice as long as it was financed for. If it was financed for four years, own it for at least eight.
I like beer and as I get older I lean towards quality as opposed to quantity. I really like bourbon and have sampled quite a bit of it, inexpensive and expensive. Some ice in a glass, a splash of water and some Old Grandad and I'm set.
So that's it for me, ya'll keep it going.

deerslayer357

I am younger than most here probably at 35, but have an old soul according to my wife and daughters.

I have found that some things I turned my nose up at 5-10 years ago I now regret. One example was a beretta silver pigeon 12 gauge. A friend wanted to sell it cheap and I wasn’t interested as I was collecting a5’s. Fast forward 2-3 years and I purchased that same shotgun from another friend as my first over/under shotgun.

My dad was a ford truck fan and a Chevrolet Camaro fan. I went to Chevrolet trucks and have been pleased so far.

Blantons, weller, and eagle rare are good on ice.

Nimrod71

Well, fellers I am like the most of you, my taste have changed in most things. What I use to not like I now like and some of the things I loved I no longer care for. It's amazing how one changes over time.

I started my gun life with and old Winchester 22 single shot my Dad bought back in the 30's. He worked all summer in Tobacco to save the money to buy the rifle. I wish I still had it.

My next gun was a Savage 20 ga. single shot that I got from my Grand Dad's estate. I hunted a lot of squirrel, rabbits and quail with that gun. It worked good, many a good supper of quail came from it. I still have this one.

For my birthday I wanted a Remington 550 automatic 22 rifle. Dad said I would waste to many bullets so he bought me a Remington 514. It's gone too.

On my 16th. birthday Dad bought me a Sears Ted Williams pump 12 ga. shotgun. I finally moved up to adult hunting. I still remember my first dove shoot. Dad was not a big hunter, he really didn't care about it, he like to socialize. His brother invited us to a shoot at the McNatt place. This was a big farm the two fields covered about 250 acres with two ponds separating them and a powerline running through the middle on a fence row. I ask my Uncle were to go and He told me to get in the middle on the fence row by the gate. Dad had bought me 4 boxes of shells and he said I better not shoot them all up. The birds stated coming in about 4 and let me tell you I surprised myself as well as my Dad. I got 10 birds out of the first box. Since I had never been to a dove shoot I didn't know what the limit was but I knew I must be getting close so I carried my birds back to the truck where Dad and some of his friends were hanging out B.S.ing and planning a dove cooking for the night. Really they were planning a card game and party. I left the birds and went back to my stand. My shooting was like I couldn't miss, everything I shot at went down. I had been back on my stand for about 45 min. when the game warden walked up. He ask who I was and for my license and how many birds I had. I told him who I was and showed him my license. He said he knew my Dad and ask where he was. I told him at the trucks. He left walking to the trucks. I'm glad I didn't tell him how many birds I had. Later I found out I had way over the limit. The dove party that night was a big success, the game warden was there too. I still have that Sears Ted Williams pump 12 ga. shotgun.

As for mind changers, I have really made a change on Glocks. When they first came out a friend bought one and he came out to my house to shoot it. He told me all the great things about it and it really sounded good until I shot it. The trigger was awful. I had thought I wanted one until then. Well time pasted and after 20 years or so I shot a New Model 17. The trigger was not bad. I kind of liked it. I shoot S. & W. mod. 27,28,29 double action often so my fingers are in good shape. Well to make a long story short I bought a 22,45 and 20.

AR's are still ho hum.

Mattval

I believe that with age and maturity comes a change in taste.

I'm old enough that I wanted a lever action for my first deer rifle, like every other kid, for a lot of reasons.

Thru the years, I have done it all rifle wise. I wanted a Sendero with a big scope. I wanted a .300 WM. I wanted a BAR. I wanted a Steyr Mountain Rifle. And a Steyr Scout. I wanted an AR. And the list goes on. And on.

This year, I hunted with a Hawken and a Savage 99.

I used to trade trucks at least once a year. I've owned and liked/disliked them all.

Now I have been driving the same stuff for a decade, with no plans to change.

I have developed an interest in things that LAST. I used to wear ball caps and chunk em for the next one.

Now I have become a "real hat" guy like my Daddy, and appreciate the fact that my Minnetonka leather outback "huntin' hat" with the moccasin band I made and coyote claws I caught will last me the rest of my life, and go along on all adventures...

I have finally put down the Tacticool Switchblades in favor of a drawer full of old school pocketknives, and belt type sheath knives.

Leather holsters for carry guns, and I no longer own any tennis shoes, and haven't for a few years now that I think about it.

That's my ramble...
Hey do you have a link or a pic ture of your hunting hat?

Jester896

Senior Clown
and here I sit trying to get all of the tastes outta my mouth. I kinda like Filson hats, 700 foot prints, striker fired, 1911s, revos, O/U and auto loaders.. and my Ford has 480K on it. I like a good bourbon, good shine and good tequila...even a good darker beer once and a while. But most of all I like boiled crawfish.

Last edited:
Good read. Thanks for posting.
Application absolutely makes a difference as does one’s perspective.

I grew up with Bushnell and Tasco for optics. Even dad used the same which of course influenced my decisions. Grandpa had a gold ring Leupold and it was something special to look through. Even a privilege. Fast forward a number of years and I bought my first Leupold on close out which was still expensive to me at that time. I was the envy of my hunting circle. Within 5 years or so, I Leupolds on everything and was proud. Then came the disgust. After sending a few back with broken erector assemblies, I realized they weren’t all I’d once thought. It was just the next level in my little world according to magazine advertisements and of course the fact that grandpa had one. The difference was grandpa shot 3-4 rounds a year and I shot 100’s upon 100’s. A lifetime warranty is useless when you need that product most and it fails. I still have a few that appear to be bombproof.

Similar beginnings with Chevrolet. A family affair. We always worked our vehicles hauling & towing and someone’s truck was always in my dads shop or the local repair shop if too much for us. Spun bearings, 4L60, starters, calipers locking up, water pumps…always something. Finally one day I’d decided to try something different and I remember my dads words verbatim trying to talk me out of it. It’s been 10 years now and there’s not a Chevrolet truck left..from grandpa on down, although he doesn’t drive anymore. None are without fault but these work better for us.

I could go on about other trials through the years. Bottom line, Sometimes we try things and are pleasantly surprised and sometimes disappointed. First hand experience is the teacher. Not someone else’s opinion. Even though you might trust them…they might be speaking of the one bad example they saw or the one good example. Or worst yet, hearsay. See for yourself. You shouldn’t live in a bubble cursing everything that doesn’t line up with your way of thinking. Keep an open mind and you just might be surprised.
I did the same as you on the scopes. Changed every one I had on a deer caliber rifle to Leupold, took the Tascos, Bushnells, and Simmons' and put on the 22s. The reason I replied to what you wrote is this. I'm just wandering what kind of problems you had with Leuopold? I own probly 12 or more VariX 11s and 111s and I've never had to call the factory or send one back. These Leuopold scopes are the most trouble free that Ive ever owned.

Newt2

Firearm choices? I wish I still had the ones I had 25-30 years ago.

Ruger Mini 30
Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Browning BLR-81 308
Browning BL-22
Browning Auto-5
Browning MKII Hi Power
Ruger Redhawk 41 MAG
Ruger GP100 357 MAG
Ruger Mark II 22LR
Taurus Mod85
Davis Derringer 32 Auto

I lost all due to losing my job when the plant closed after 20 years and a very nasty divorce and a theft. All but the Taurus Mod85. Since then most of the jobs I had were minimum wage.

I don't care for most of the guns available today. Most seem to be just modifications to those I once had. Oh well. It was good while it lasted.

rmp

I did the same as you on the scopes. Changed every one I had on a deer caliber rifle to Leupold, took the Tascos, Bushnells, and Simmons' and put on the 22s. The reason I replied to what you wrote is this. I'm just wandering what kind of problems you had with Leuopold?
PM sent

SC Hunter

While I don't wear a hat much except in the summer I have a straw hat I wear to keep the sun off me. I do like brown likker and homemade clear likker. I like most every gun I touch for the most part and I go through phases and get the itch for something different. Right now I'm wanting a single action 357 magnum or 44 magnum, the reason I haven't given in yet? I don't shoot the 357 and 44 I already have. ?

I used to think I needed all the shots in a shotgun to kill birds but now I admire nice O/U's and smile when I shoot them.

My truck is the same 1500 Z71 I've been driving for 6 or 7 years now and I hope it last me 10 more. It burns a little oil and will eventually need a head gasket but that head gasket will be cheaper than a payment. I like to think I enjoy the simple things. I prefer to site by myself or with my wife and kids and listen to crickets and smile.