Model 94 Pre-64 Rear Sight question

hallroyal

Hello I have a pre-64 winchester 94 manufactured in 1912. The rear sight is weird, it is a buckhorn sights that fold down and leave a small sight. It will not stay up or down, it falls down with each shot. I'm hoping to replace these with something that is historical but functions a little better. If anyone has any ideas or experience with these sights and knows what I should do that will not be super modern, I would want it to fit with the old rifle. Tell me what y'all think please!

Attachments

• pre64 rear sight profile.jpg
    pre64 rear sight profile.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 189
  • pre 64 rear sight top down.jpg
    pre 64 rear sight top down.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 183
  • Pre64 pov front sight.jpg
    Pre64 pov front sight.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 183
  • model 94 pre64.jpg
    model 94 pre64.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 182
  • model 94 pre 64 saddle ring reciever.jpg
    model 94 pre 64 saddle ring reciever.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 184

hallroyal

Here is a pic with the buckhorn sight folded down

Attachments

• pre 64 front sight pov.jpg
    pre 64 front sight pov.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 185

Capt Quirk

That is a really cool sight, on a nice vintage rifle. I'm thinking the hinge pin on the sight has loosened up, and likely wouldn't take much to tighten it up like new.

transfixer

Go to the gunpartscorp.com website, under Winchester they have the pre-war, pre-64 and other models listed, their inventory is hit or miss on guns like that, but you may find a rear sight from another Winchester back then that will work and look correct on your rifle.

rayjay

I don't see an elevator. Maybe the elevator puts tension on the leaves and keeps them in position.

ETA, if this sight doesn't use an elevator maybe the sight can be drifted out of the dovetail and tweaked so there is tension on the leaves.

Personally

I would put that gun away and show it to certain friends of mine and I wouldn't do anything to that weapon.

If the elevation leaf is missing, you would need a part from that era. I don't see a slot for a leaf.

That is a classic. I have two, one in .30wcf and the other in .32 win special. I have not shot either one in a long time but they both shot well the last time I did.

s&r

Last edited:

frankwright

I don't know much about the sight and it is hard to tell from the pictures but I think it is a Winchester 3 Leaf Express Sight.

It was a special order factory option.

I have not seen one in person but suspect pressure on the pin is what keeps it up and something might need to be tweaked.

hallroyal

Nice, thanks for all the responses. This is a great forum and so glad I've found a great community like this. I certainly show this off to my friends that are interested in such. It shoots well too! I've been considering making it a wall piece but something about these lever guns begs them to be shot, right?!?! I will tweak on it and look up ya'lls suggestions, thanks so much!

Hall

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep elevator missing.............it looks like a small set of steps that go underneath....................

hallroyal

From my research looking at the websites links provided by ya'll it seems to be the 3 leaf sight and it looks like the middle sight is broken. I'm not sure if there is an elevator that goes with this type of sight, from the ones that are for sale on ebay from $60-$230 !! there is no elevator with them.

Attachments

• pre64 3leafsight1.jpg
    pre64 3leafsight1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 112
  • pre64 3leafsight2.jpg
    pre64 3leafsight2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 112
  • pre64 3leafsight3.jpg
    pre64 3leafsight3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 112
  • pre64 3leafsight4.jpg
    pre64 3leafsight4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 112

rayjay

If you push down on the flat strap just ahead of the sight leaves do you then have detent action and the leaves stay in place as they should ?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
If it had an elevator, wouldn't the leaf be slotted longitudinally to accommodate the elevator slide?
It looks like the sight is intact, just flips, small "v" for longer distance and large "v" (like an express sight) for closer range.
Pins have loosened over time.