Shoulder Shots

Kris87

The doe on my avatar was shoulder shot and was 18 yards. Went through her shoulder and through bottom briskit splitting it in half her brisket that is. Blades still sharp. I shot 400 grain arrow total that's with the 100 grain shwacker.

No bone, scapula, or joint where u shot. Good shot though.

DYI hunting

I would think expandables would hurt the chance more than being Chinese knockoffs. They just don't penetrate as deep as cut on contact broadheads. And from what I've read the lighter arrow weight is hurting you too.

I hope you didn't take offense to my posts on the other thread. Shoot what you can afford. But I'm personally not a fan of any Chinese products ripping off US patients. I shoot cheap Muzzy broadheads to save on money, but they have always done the trick.

2bbshot

If you'd been using a Muzzy or a Simmons Land Shark, the arrow would be buried in the ground on the other side and your deer would be dead. Have you not learned anything from this thread? :yeah:

Tell you what moderator. You hang a whitetail deer up by its feet and draw an x where you want it to hit. I'll stand 20 yards away and shoot through it until your sick of watching it? If I'm right you cover the feathers I'll destroy if your right I'll give you 100 bucks?

2bbshot

I said 15 inches.. I didn't break out a tape you said a leaf mines through a deer there 5 in feathers and are 28 in long. What's your point? It's buried in the dirt into a fit I had to wiggle it out of and the next critter I kill will be with the same head it's a razor blade again.

2bbshot

I didn't say any of that to say look at me etc. I know a hundred people that know more than me about bows and bow hunting but the broadhead riddle has been solved for a long time. I just can't fathom why you would shoot that flimsy bladed fold back/slip back nonsense. It takes some tuning to shoot the big fixed heads in the X but there so deadly. I didn't mean to sound abrasive to anyone. I hope you all have a good season.

lungbuster123

I hit a doe in the top of the leg bone one time a few years back. 29" 65lbs with about a 470 grain arrow and a 125 grain Slick Trick Mag on the tip of it...shooting a very well tuned PSE X-force. Sounded like I cracked her over the head with a 2x4 and that's one of the few I've lost bow hunting. Got no penetration, but I'm not gonna blame my equipment for my bad shot. Broadheads are not designed to punch through the biggest bones you can find. If there's a setup that will go through a leg/joint bone I would like to see the damage pics because this was one of the meanest bows I've shot and I got zero penetration on this deer like maybe 1-2".

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
The above post..... Excellent and honest. "I'm not gonna blame my equipment for my bad shot" . It's impossible to say for a lot of folks. I judge my equipment by how it performs on good shots. I've swapped heads once or twice over the last 15 years after judging damage and penetration on pinwheel shots. I don't chalk bad shots up to poor equipment performance. Wish more people wouldn't cry "victim" over bad shots

Kris87

Tell you what moderator. You hang a whitetail deer up by its feet and draw an x where you want it to hit. I'll stand 20 yards away and shoot through it until your sick of watching it? If I'm right you cover the feathers I'll destroy if your right I'll give you 100 bucks?

Easiest $100 I'd ever make.

oppthepop

Boy you guys are gettin' excited! here's my 2 cents, and probably worth less than that.........I shot a nice 10 pointer two years ago on the point of the right shoulder with a QAD Exodus coming out of a 60 pound Obsession Phoenix at a little over 300 FPS. It shot all the way through the shoulder and exited out his far rib on his left side. Will that happen every time? Don't know, and hope i never have to take that shot again. But, it did it THAT time. And that is why i stick with the QAD Exodus fixed blade broadhead.

2bbshot

I hit a doe in the top of the leg bone one time a few years back. 29" 65lbs with about a 470 grain arrow and a 125 grain Slick Trick Mag on the tip of it...shooting a very well tuned PSE X-force. Sounded like I cracked her over the head with a 2x4 and that's one of the few I've lost bow hunting. Got no penetration, but I'm not gonna blame my equipment for my bad shot. Broadheads are not designed to punch through the biggest bones you can find. If there's a setup that will go through a leg/joint bone I would like to see the damage pics because this was one of the meanest bows I've shot and I got zero penetration on this deer like maybe 1-2".

It's never the plan to hit the leg bone it's about what happens when you do because if you bowhunt long enough it will happen. Run the KE numbers on the setup you were talking about. Mine is just over 91ft pounds with a solid one piece steel broad head. It's a moose rig that I shoot southern whitetails with. I hope the moderator picks a day for our experiment. I'll have him shooting sharks in no time lol

Kris87

2BB, I got the photo of the deer you're referencing. I suggest everyone go lookup deer anatomy, AGAIN, and identify where the shoulder blade(scapula) actually is. Its not even close to this hole. Heck, there's not even a major leg bone right here. The top of the ulna is close, where it protrudes past the radius, and that wouldn't be hard to shear, but its still not where this shot is. Rib bone at best right here. The humerus, which is the bigger front bone that joints with the scapula is much forward, almost on the very front of the leg. Probably could break it as well, but as it joints into the scapula, you're not going to. Nor if you hit the actual ridge that runs north and south on the scapula. Its very thick, and I've never seen anything break it.

Attachments

• IMG9509141[1].jpg
    IMG9509141[1].jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 209

2bbshot

Her upper leg bone above the joint was chopped in half. It just flopped back over her back when I field dressed her. This is one deer I shot this year I've been doing this a long time. Set up a time and place and chop leg bones in half for you. It's not a big deal people that hunt big game would laugh at this tread. It's a whitetail deer leg bone. There's nothing on the front half that is stopping my arrow at 20 yards except the skull.

Kris87

Sir, you may have hit the lower leg joint...where the humerus and the radius connect. The upper leg joint is where the humerus joins with the scapula. Major difference. Look it up.

2bbshot

Shoot whatever garbage you want. You won't see a pic of bent broadhead from me unless I shoot it into a rock. Play with that nonsense and I'll keep blowing holes through them. I don't have thw penetration/broadhead issue here. You shouldn't be wondering if your going to get a pass through unless your physically unable to pull enough weight. People kill Cape buffalo with bows and wet having a discussion about shooting through deer? His broadhead failed him. If he had a decent head that wouldn't have happened. Have a good season gentlemen. I hate I joined this discussion. Your talking about what you think I'm talking about what I do. Keep losing deer it's your problem not mine.