Shoulder Shots

Kris87

Its not possible there shoulders and leg bones are made of AR500 plate. Somehow that won't be in the magic spot of solid steel they think exist in a deer. I was shooting long bows through one side of a steel drum with a 75# longbow and a snuffer at Archery traditions back in the day. They did it with many heavy bamboo long hunters. Now we have 80lb compounds and we cant shoot through deer.

I'm curious when you hung around the shop. I worked there many years and learned a lot from Dan. I'd like to know which bow you shot.

2bbshot

I'm curious when you hung around the shop. I worked there many years and learned a lot from Dan. I'd like to know which bow you shot.

I had several of there bows 2-3 bamboo long hunters and one other that's slipping my mind. A 72# ( I believe) low 70s for sure. This would have been late 90's. That place was cool to be around I miss it.

2bbshot

I would like to have another bamboo long hunter in the 70-75# range. I traded all mine off over time and now I hate I don't have one of Dans bows.

Kris87

I worked there 93-98. Probably saw you. I still have a couple dozen original swaged Snuffer heads.

Kris87

I shot the Longunter, the Canebrake, and the Patriot most of my time in the shop even though I was a compound 3D shooter and hunter. I love traditional archery and I still shoot a recurve when I bowfish

2bbshot

I worked there 93-98. Probably saw you. I still have a couple dozen original swaged Snuffer heads.

That's awesome. That's a bad dude sharpened up right. Ha being a snuffer out of a longbow stick in one and not exit makes for some impressive damage. Running off with a snuffer in you is bad news

2bbshot

I shot the Longunter, the Canebrake, and the Patriot most of my time in the shop even though I was a compound 3D shooter and hunter. I love traditional archery and I still shoot a recurve when I bowfish

CANEBREAK! That's the one I couldn't remember. Dang it about to hunt a quillian bow down now lol.

2bbshot

I miss traditional. I just don't have time to shoot a heavy weight stick bow enough to hunt with one. I carve out 5-15 arrows a day with my Hoyt and that's about all I can get but I do it year round. If it rains I shoot 20 in the basement. I feel like a have to shoot a longbow more than that to feel confident enough to hunt with. Not to mention. The time you get to hunt. 40 is a chip shot with this new stuff it's a bomb with a longbow lol

Permitchaser

I hit a doe in the top of the leg bone one time a few years back. 29" 65lbs with about a 470 grain arrow and a 125 grain Slick Trick Mag on the tip of it...shooting a very well tuned PSE X-force. Sounded like I cracked her over the head with a 2x4 and that's one of the few I've lost bow hunting. Got no penetration, but I'm not gonna blame my equipment for my bad shot. Broadheads are not designed to punch through the biggest bones you can find. If there's a setup that will go through a leg/joint bone I would like to see the damage pics because this was one of the meanest bows I've shot and I got zero penetration on this deer like maybe 1-2".

I shot a doe years back with my old Hoyt, 60lb.draw 2512 shafts, muzzy 100 4 blade. At 20 yds. The arrow went through he shoulder out the other side and pinned her to root by her leg. The broad head did not go through the middle of the leg bone it went down the side of the bone and into the root. The doe struggled for a second then trotted of a fell over DRT
The broad head was so deep in the root I unscrewed the shaft and left it
No pictures

Permitchaser

I hit a doe in the top of the leg bone one time a few years back. 29" 65lbs with about a 470 grain arrow and a 125 grain Slick Trick Mag on the tip of it...shooting a very well tuned PSE X-force. Sounded like I cracked her over the head with a 2x4 and that's one of the few I've lost bow hunting. Got no penetration, but I'm not gonna blame my equipment for my bad shot. Broadheads are not designed to punch through the biggest bones you can find. If there's a setup that will go through a leg/joint bone I would like to see the damage pics because this was one of the meanest bows I've shot and I got zero penetration on this deer like maybe 1-2".

I shot a doe years back with my old Hoyt, 60lb.draw 2512 shafts, muzzy 100 4 blade. At 20 yds. The arrow went through he shoulder out the other side and pinned her to root by her leg. The broad head did not go through the middle of the leg bone it went down the side of the bone and into the root. The doe struggled for a second then trotted of a fell over DRT
The broad head was so deep in the root I unscrewed the shaft and left it
No pictures

Curvebow05

I have, not super knowledgeable about him but I know he did penetration test and shot some really big game with a bow. Im going to go refresh myself on it. I think I read his penetration test 10 years ago or so.
Some of the best info I have ever read and listened too. Tradgeeks just had him on their latest podcast. Great show.

Last edited:

Hunter922

:love: Nice to see archers coming together instead of bickering..:bounce: