Update on my saga with the Buckhorn.

RockyMountainBasser

I finally got the chance to go out Saturday morning and try to sight in the Buckhorn. I have enough pellets for 5 shots.....so I had to make them count.

I spent Friday evening attempting to old school bore sight this thing......and it might have helped me a little.

The first shot at 25 yards was about 2 foot to the right and 2 foot down of center. I adjusted the scope accordingly (or so I thought) and the second shot landed 6" above the first. I scratched my head, adjust the scope a bunch (3 full rotations for the windage and 3 full rotations for the elevation). The third shot landed just under the cross of the painters tape I used for the middle of the target. I was happy with that, but adjusted the scope slight more.

So, with 2 more shot available, I set up for 50 yards. First shot landed in the same spot as the 25 yard - 3rd shot did. So, I was happy with this and decided to waste the last shot just to make sure.

Now, I have never been one that is jumpy when I am at the gun range. Luckily, the first 4 shots were done in peace and without many folks there. The final shot, however, was done with several additional folks just wasting ammunition there, and when I finally went to squeeze the last shot off, a guy decided to stand in the middle of the two sections of shooting benches (which was right next to me) and fired off a shot just as I went to squeeze the trigger.......which caused me to jerk and caused the shot to drop about 4".

So, while I am certain the muzzleloader is dead on......I have to wait until Thursday to get more powder to make sure.

I also found out, from some advice taken from Twinkie.308, that this gun does best if you clean it between shots. I did a single wet and a single dry patch, and shot a primer off after cleaning it. I can't be more pleased with how it reacted, especially after the debacle that was the first attempt to sight it in.

Roadking65

Yay! Glad you have it figgerd out! If you read my "debacle" I was pulling out my remaining hair trying to get my Hawken to drive tacks. The guys on here gave me tons of tips and things to try and it is now deer hunt worthy.

RockyMountainBasser

I am having to go tomorrow night and get more powder for it. Then, Saturday, I am taking it back to the range and making sure that I feel comfy with how it is shooting. Rather be safe than sorry. Then, I will have 6 bullets for hunting season..........which for me, will be 1 or 2 days, depending on how things work out.

RockyMountainBasser

245 gr. Powerbelt Hollow Point with 2 - 50 gr. pellets of Hodgens 777 and a Winchester 777 primer. Makes the Buckhorn a sweet shot.

shane256

I also found out, from some advice taken from Twinkie.308, that this gun does best if you clean it between shots.

A few years ago I started doing that with my T/C Encore .50cal... after every shot, run the Bore Snake through it at least once (usually twice) and my shots were quite a bit more consistent.

Twinkie .308

Good deal. Now the fun begins. Good luck with it this season