GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Muzzleloading

Old 11-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoon View Post
You mean like this?

FlPerc by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Yeah....I use 'em real regular like! They ain't wall-hangers!
A couple of very nice looking Hawkens there Muldoon. I would take that LH Percussion if given the choice as I'm a southpaw and don't currently own a percussion.
I have had a couple of Hawkens in the past but now shoot flint longrifles. Shoulder problems in my right (support hand) shoulder no longer allow me to shoot the heavy straight barrels of the Hawkens. But the swamped barreled longrifles are still doable.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Default Southpaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
A couple of very nice looking Hawkens there Muldoon. I would take that LH Percussion if given the choice as I'm a southpaw and don't currently own a percussion.
I have had a couple of Hawkens in the past but now shoot flint longrifles. Shoulder problems in my right (support hand) shoulder no longer allow me to shoot the heavy straight barrels of the Hawkens. But the swamped barreled longrifles are still doable.
Same here as my left eye is Master eye! The Caplock is a GRRW build and is really accurate....along with the flintlock as well! Flinter made by Tom Watson in Georgia. I've had no trouble shooting the flinter even though it's on the wrong side for me!

God Bless America!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:37 AM

I also own a TC Hawken and took 2 very nice bucks with PRB's! First Musket kills ever for me!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Default I've got this hankerin.....

to put a PRB through a gobblers' head and today I found out just what kind of 'hold' it would take to make it work. Shot this from 50 yards. Higher shots were before I learned just what kind of fine bead to take and then the rifle shot 9 rounds into one ragged hole!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 AM

If you could get one to hold it's head still your good to go. Personally I go for the body shot with a PRB. I've shot 2 with a .54 prb through the body and the damage is much less than you'd expect.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Default Hold still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
If you could get one to hold it's head still your good to go. Personally I go for the body shot with a PRB. I've shot 2 with a .54 prb through the body and the damage is much less than you'd expect.
Darkhorse

I've seen old gobblers come in to a call....see a decoy and stand still just looking for a full minute or so without moving! Maybe one day I'll find one that's stupid!

Old 06-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Have had my Hawkins for around 40 years and have no itch to get or hunt with anything else.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 PM

FYI: check out Buffalo Arms for bp items...great folks to deal with.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/
Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_racin_fan View Post
Jack why do you hate to clean it? I prefer cleanin my BP firearms over my smokeless firearms. I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter. Being an ex army guy I clean my guns more than once and the second and third trips I use TC #13 or some other modern BP solvent and season with bore butter or crisco.

I built a CVA Hawkenish firearm back in the early 80's. Got some home brewed stuff to brown the barrel and really liked that rifle. Dang kid that lived nearby stole it and I never got it back. Few years back I got a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock, it's kinda Hawkenish as well. I will be aquiring a much better rifle when I can afford it but I have ever intention of killing a few deer with what I have. Got my son a CVA Bobcat, and even tho it is a rather cheapish cap and ball rifle I imagine it will do the job.
Was that sarcasm?

Quote:
I prefer cleanin my BP firearms over my smokeless firearms. I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter. Being an ex army guy I clean my guns more than once and the second and third trips I use TC #13 or some other modern BP solvent and season with bore butter or crisco.