Scope on Hawken?

Rabun Guy

I have a Traditions 50 cal. Hawken. I use a peep sight. Because of my age, I cannot use my open or peep sight. I know that I can use a scope when using my modern rifle. I know that a scope on a Hawken is not the norm, but most people are not near 80YO who shoot Hawkens. I enjoy shooting the rifle. What are everyone's thoughts on using a scope on a Hawken. Thanks for your answers.

GregoryB.

I saw one on a Hawken once when I was at the range. Thought it looked weird at the time. It was accurate. Now that I am older it doesn’t seem so weird. I have actually been thinking of a small red dot like the Burris Fast Fire II on a adapter plate.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I know for certain that there are mounts out there for the T/C Hawken and Renegade. The slickest one I ever saw was a handgun scope, forward mounted scout rifle style.

As for the Traditions, I don't know. They always were a pretty close copy of the T/C. I once put a fiberoptic rear off of a T/C onto a Traditions Buckskinner and it fit...

My first thought would be a large fiberoptic front and your peep???

I'm sure it could be done, if you are willing to go far enough with the process...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Just went a did a little research...My Traditions Hawken Woodsman is not drilled and tapped for a mount, but my little Traditions Buckskinner IS drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

There are bases showing available from Traditions, Weaver, and Talley.

Just thinking out loud here, but a little pistol red dot red dot replacing the rear sight might be very cool...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler

SASS249

I am about as much a died in the wool traditionalist as you can get. My opinion is if you like to shoot the rifle go for it. Of course it is not period correct and looks really out of place but so what?

Darkhorse

I'm with SASS249, just about as traditional as you can get. Even got cussed out a few times because I was too traditional.
But as for your problem I've been there. I made a prototype scope mount to fit a custom longrifle a few years back. It worked but just didn't look right. But I got lucky and made a simple peep that has worked out real well.
https://i.ibb.co/4dcLYH0/SS850041-800x600.jpg

flconch53

There also is the ethics of being able to clearly see the animal you are shooting at. I love period correct stuff but all my hunting guns have optics

frankwright

I remember,long ago, they actually sold a scope mount for a muzzaleloader that was held on with magnets. It had velcro straps for a backup.
If your Hawken has a rear dovetail they make a Red Dot plate that slips right in the dovetail if they are the same size. This is just an example, there are other ones.
81z6zvaXeiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Rabun Guy

I remember,long ago, they actually sold a scope mount for a muzzaleloader that was held on with magnets. It had velcro straps for a backup.
If your Hawken has a rear dovetail they make a Red Dot plate that slips right in the dovetail if they are the same size. This is just an example, there are other ones.
81z6zvaXeiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I like the Red Dot. If I have to have it drilled and taped, then so be it. Thanks.

Darkhorse

It's not hard to cut a dovetail with a file. Put it right where you want it.

frankwright

The Traditions most likely already has a 6mm or .355 dovetail.
Most modern guns and sights are 3/8 or .375.

It would not be hard to enlarge the dovetail to fit a standard 3/8 dovetail even though standard gunsmithing 101 says always file the dovetail not the barrel, but having a standard dovetail would open up a bunch of options including a plate for the exact type of Red Dot you wanted to use.

Rabun Guy

I saw one on a Hawken once when I was at the range. Thought it looked weird at the time. It was accurate. Now that I am older it doesn’t seem so weird. I have actually been thinking of a small red dot like the Burris Fast Fire II on a adapter plate.
I also am thinking of a red dot or something similar instead of a scope. Did you get your red dot sight?

GregoryB.

I also am thinking of a red dot or something similar instead of a scope. Did you get your red dot sight?
Haven’t got a red dot yet. Ordered a cheap Glock rear sight adapter plate from eBay last night. Once it comes in I will see what I have to do to make it fit. Will report back.

Latest posts