Shooting from the barn

specialk

Done it many times.....called turkeys up to the same old house and killed them too....

godogs57

My best stand when I lived in Chattooga county was an old chicken house that stretched from the dirt road clean into a 10 acre alfalfa field that bordered a jungle of planted pines and briars. I could park at one end of the chicken house, walk all the way through (obviously undetected) and climb up into the loft on the other end and overlook the pines and alfalfa.....out of a lazyboy recliner! Had a shooting rest built into the opening in the loft and lit up tons of deer that moseyed out to munch on the field. Stayed warm and dry all the time. Probably the most "Perfect" stand I ever had.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I was a kid I shot one from my bedroom window. It taught me how good concealment works in your favor.

gt40

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hunt the barn but wear your orange vest just the same

The mtn man

If deer season is open, I don't see what the big deal is about how you shoot a deer as long as your not shooting one along the highway out of your truck window, that's going a little too far. I get the whole thing about hunting and shooting, but if I'm just wanting a deer to eat, in my eyes there's no shame in shooting one from the kitchen window. MEAT ON THE TABLE!!!!

ryanh487

Fine, nothing wrong with it. But if that is the only way someone shoots deer, then they shouldn't call themselves a hunter. There is no sport in that...

Hunting ain't about sport, it's about herd/resource management.

If you want to make it about sport, that's a personal challenge.

I hunt because I like nature. When I decide I want to kill something, I'll take it as easy as the animal will allow me to. I consider being comfortable enough to spend hours and hours watching creation the trophy of every hunt. No sense in making yourself extra miserable just on principle.

I wish I had a barn with a hay loft to sit in and watch the deer/rabbits/squirrels/etc until something i felt like putting in the freezer wondered by.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

I hunt because I like nature. When I decide I want to kill something, I'll take it as easy as the animal will allow me to. I consider being comfortable enough to spend hours and hours watching creation the trophy of every hunt. No sense in making yourself extra miserable just on principle.

I wish I had a barn with a hay loft to sit in and watch the deer/rabbits/squirrels/etc until something i felt like putting in the freezer wondered by.

U have got to give the barn a name. Like the "shooting shack" then it's OK.

The mtn man

That's how I feel about it. Hunting for a trophy buck is sporting hunting, hunting to just shoot a deer for the freezer imo is just plain old hunting. No matter if it's shot out of a box blind over a food plot, a hardwood Ridge in a climber, or off the back porch eating your wife's flowers. They all eat the same. Pigeon shooting is for sport:biggrin3:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I've sat on my grandparents porch eating fresh cooked ham biscuits (hand delivered to the stand )while hunting a buck that used their yard as a crossing point. Yes I had on an orange vest too

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Fine, nothing wrong with it. But if that is the only way someone shoots deer, then they shouldn't call themselves a hunter. There is no sport in that...

More than a few here say shooting a deer with a scoped rifle isn't sporting

Lukikus2

That's how I feel about it. Hunting for a trophy buck is sporting hunting, hunting to just shoot a deer for the freezer imo is just plain old hunting. No matter if it's shot out of a box blind over a food plot, a hardwood Ridge in a climber, or off the back porch eating your wife's flowers. They all eat the same. Pigeon shooting is for sport:biggrin3:

Perfectly said. :clap:

Stroker

Shot'em from combines, tractors, tobaccer and hay barns, the patio, the back porch and kitchen window, brush blinds, climbers, and ladder stands, stalking them in the rain, walked up on them in strong winds in the woods, 300 yards+ across a 200 acre wheat, corn or soybean field, but no matter how or where I shot'em from they all tasted the same. YMMV.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Just trying to see how others feel. I live on my property. I have a barn that sits in the middle of the areas I usually hunt. I usually hunt from the ground or a ladder stand. I feel a little guilty hunting from the barn. I guess its the same as a ground blind, but?. What about shooting from the porch or when you see a good one in the front yard?
Should I feel guilty? Do y'all find it unethical or immoral?
Just wanting opinions. Would y'all?
The question is........how do YOU feel about it??? There's nothing wrong with it and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. But if you do, don't do it. I've done it and it doesn't bother me. There's an old mobile home on my lease and when it's raining or real cold, I will kick back in there with the kitchen window raised and a propane heater going.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Ok, I will say this. Perhaps I used the wrong word "sport" in my previous comment. Y'all are right, hunting doesn't have to be a "sport", nor should it. It can be whatever you make of it, right? What I meant to say is: there is no honor in it because there's no fair chase (unless you have a legit reason). Heck, may as well fence them in and drop a load of corn in your back yard so you can shoot them from your kitchen table while your wife makes you breakfast, all while sitting in your boxers. But we call ourselves "sportsmen", right?

Yeah, veni in the freezer is nice, and sure, I would do it to if my family desperately needed the meat. But I'm still not going to consider it "hunting", and I darn sure wouldn't be proud of it. At this point, suppose it's just semantics...

So what's the "right" way to hunt?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
So if I put a lean up in a tree by the barn and shoot it it's ok.

The mtn man

So what's the "right" way to hunt?

In a tree stand, or a box blind I suppose. I wonder if the op puts a tripod stand, or a ladder stand either in the barn, or up against the barn if that be honorable. Or if he put a box stand beside the barn, would that be honorable?