Fish Disappearance

whchunter

I went to Lake Sinclair on Wednesday this week. The water level was down about 3 feet. I have a expensive and great Lowrance Depth Finder. The strange thing is my unit didn't show hardly any fish not even bait fish. I can't ever remember not seeing plenty of fish and bait on this lake. I usually see fish and bait from the time I put the boat in. I found a few and I mean few places where I saw some fish/bait. The surface water temp was about 85 degrees and there was hardly any current and no wind. Any ideas where they all went?

whchunter

Bad Fish Day

Also fishing was real bad. The catfish we did catch were small and did not hit hard.

Eugene Stinson

they swam to Oconee? Check the transducer to see if it pointing right. Otherwise go to any creek mouth off the main lake. There are shad showing up everywhere. Other than that maybe some new spectacles?

whchunter

Nope

they swam to Oconee? Check the transducer to see if it pointing right. Otherwise go to any creek mouth off the main lake. There are shad showing up everywhere. Other than that maybe some new spectacles?

I said I saw some fish and the depth was showing correctly. Transducer good. I can't remember ever not seeing fish and bait from the time I put in at Bass till I take out. Just some places more than others. It was just weird. The only time I saw fish on this trip was in 5' or close to bottom near structure. Just weird. :crazy:

bigblocktransam

I have found the vanished fished in other lakes.. Lately I've been finding nothing but tumble weeds in my typical locations. I told dad Saturday, they are some where, and where ever they are there is a lot of them.. I was right. I found a location and they were stacked in like cord wood.

whchunter

Conditions

I have found the vanished fished in other lakes.. Lately I've been finding nothing but tumble weeds in my typical locations. I told dad Saturday, they are some where, and where ever they are there is a lot of them.. I was right. I found a location and they were stacked in like cord wood.

Were the conditions similar? If not describe. Where did you finally find the fish? Did they pull off to a lot deeper water? The only ones I found were around some fallen trees on a hump in about 28 feet of water.

bigblocktransam

Were the conditions similar? If not describe. Where did you finally find the fish? Did they pull off to a lot deeper water? The only ones I found were around some fallen trees on a hump in about 28 feet of water.

Yes the shad had mover out over channels with timber, and the fish were suspended in the timber. Very tough time of year, the thermocline was at 20' and all the fish I found were hanging out at 14-18' I had to find those magic timber lines where the trees topped out in the 14-18 range. Now this is a totally different lake, your best bet this time of year is find the thermocline, then start there. They will generally be a few feet above that. Shad will generally be in the same place, it's Getting to tail end of summer, a very tough time. Oxygen levels are pretty low.

bigblocktransam

May seem funny, but I found this to be dynamite on these picky bass in tree tops or on channel ledges. It sinks FAST, work it slowly like a buck tail and be ready!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 993

whchunter

Used

May seem funny, but I found this to be dynamite on these picky bass in tree tops or on channel ledges. It sinks FAST, work it slowly like a buck tail and be ready!

I used to catch a lot of fish on that lure. How does the thermocline show up on the fishfinder? Do you have to increase your sensitivity? If you have a pic it would be great.

ebrauns23

I was at Sinclair this past weekend and saw tons of bait fish at sunrise/sunset, being chased all over the lake by hybrids and white bass.

bigblocktransam

I used to catch a lot of fish on that lure. How does the thermocline show up on the fishfinder? Do you have to increase your sensitivity? If you have a pic it would be great.

Yes turn up sensitivity some. Turn your ping speed all the up, motor out to deep water and park, you should see a steady constant line at that depth.

bigblocktransam

I'll be on lake tomorrow, I will take a pic of it.

GaMudd

Below is a picture I posted on another forum looking for some input on my Lowrance settings. One of the guys pointed out that I had a picture showing the thermocline. It's the haze or fuzziness that shows up about 3/4 of the way down the water column. Hope this helps.

whchunter

Hmmm

I may be too illiterate cause I don't see it. :bounce:
I'd like to take a class on use of finder e.g. mine.
Thanks anyway.

bigblocktransam

Yes I did forget. I apologize. Actually I got skunked , and left early that day.

across the river

I may be too illiterate cause I don't see it. :bounce:
I'd like to take a class on use of finder e.g. mine.
Thanks anyway.

It will generally look like a line, typically in the 15 -20 foot range, although it can vary in depth and thickness depending on the lake, time of day, time of years, etc… All the little pixels that show up to form an arch when there is a fish will show up and form a line across the screen. Sometimes it can show up where the lower denser portion of the water column shows up darker (more pixels) than the up portion, but there will still be a pretty distinct line between the two. I'm sure if you google imaged it there will be some pictures.