Rock Climbing Harness

Stackem

Does anyone have a pic of the way you connect to the tree with your harness. I am switching this year and would like to see how others do it. Tried searching but could not find any good pictures.

Kris87

I don't have any pictures, but I use the Summit rope(same as the HSS Rope) with a prussic knot and connect the carabiner to the belay in the front of the harness. Pretty simple, works great.

Stump06

This will be my first year with a rock climbing harness as well. I use the same set up as mentioned above. I'll probably make the prussic a little longer for some extra space.

I believe the main rope is 1/2" diameter or so and the prussic is maybe 3/8." You want your prussic knot rope to be around 60% diameter of your main line for it to slide and grip properly

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 283

Kris87

That's the exact rope I have. I keep one in my pack at all times and a spare in the truck just in case I ever leave it in a tree(been there, done that).

Stackem

That's the rope I have also. So you connect to the tree and run it around your side and connect to the front....correct. Then just adjust the slack that hangs to your side.....?

Kris87

That's the rope I have also. So you connect to the tree and run it around your side and connect to the front....correct. Then just adjust the slack that hangs to your side.....?

That's all there is to it. I typically pull it tight while its dark and I'm resting my head, and loosen it up later so I can stand and turn in all directions. Its never in the way! That's the best part.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Are you guys using your RCH with a linemans strap/rope?

Hooking into the strap on the front belay just puts everything in my way. I'm thinking about making something like the below out of webbing so I can hook in on the sides. The rear haul loop on my RCH is rated at 13-15 kN - obviously, most of the tension will be on the webbing on this setup but it's nice to have the rating on the rear haul where it will be threaded through anyways.

9ddb0e69c7414e02d48e1060d59523d1.jpg

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I've found the RCH superior to the traditional safety harnesses in almost every way. It's like the little secret BIG SAFETY HARNESS doesn't want folks to find out about.

I have a Black Diamond Momentum that I bought from amazon. If you can stomach a trip over to REI, you can probably try a few out there to see what you like. They are all basically the same but some could be better for your body type and have different ways of securing the thigh straps.

This video does a great job of explaining the set-up:

jwillban

What brand do you all recommend?

I've got a Petzl climbing harness (Corax model, I think) and the HSS rope mentioned previously. It does hook in front, but like everyone else says, put a little slack in it and it's not in the way at all. And it's better while climbing up/down.

ak314

I switched to a Black Diamond Vario last season and was very pleased. Much more comfortable, quicker and easier to put on, and better freedom of movement. Coupled with an HSS strap with prusik knot I am confident it will save me should something bad happen.

hoptoit

I've found the RCH superior to the traditional safety harnesses in almost every way. It's like the little secret BIG SAFETY HARNESS doesn't want folks to find out about.

I have a Black Diamond Momentum that I bought from amazon. If you can stomach a trip over to REI, you can probably try a few out there to see what you like. They are all basically the same but some could be better for your body type and have different ways of securing the thigh straps.

This video does a great job of explaining the set-up:

Please do not take offence at this comment, there is so many things wrong with that video, please before any one tries that kind of technique seek professional instruction.

uturn

I've made up some sweet light weight ones with line that I've bought from REI..they fit in my pocket!!

I've got quite a few of them made up and have handed several of them out to some of my buddies...I can make them up cheap and that so I always keep nice crisp ones in the line up!

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Please do not take offence at this comment, there is so many things wrong with that video, please before any one tries that kind of technique seek professional instruction.

No offense taken. Other than longer tails on his knots and and end knot to stop that ascender, what else is wrong with it? Fwiw, I posted it for the RCH set up more than showing the 1 stick technique.

Stump06

What brand do you all recommend?

I got the marmot Ophir 3 slide from backcountry.com for around $44. I read/watched a lot of reviews on it and when they put it on sale (Usually $55 I think) I pulled the trigger. I also got a locking carabiner and got free 2 day shipping. Hard to beat.

Obviously I don't have a lot of experience with it but Its super lightweight and comfortable, I actually tend to forget I have it on.

hoptoit

The loop on the back of the harness is a haul loop only and is not designed or intended to be use in the manner shown, the gear loops are intended for quick draws or spare Karabiners and are not rated to be load bearing, the wildcountry ropeman ascender is not supposed to be shock loaded, the person in the video shows several times that he climbs above his anchor point, a fall from that point onto the ropeman will destroy it and himself, the rope running around the tree and through the loop is a very bad idea, you can generate a lot of heat in a fall situation that could possibly weaken the rope loop, at 5:03 he shows that he's weighted a Karabiner then opens the gate and places another rope into the Karabiner, this is dangerous, once you have weighted a karabiner you should never open the karabiner gate, in the same segment he shows a screw gate karabiner being side loaded again this is incorrect and dangerous.

Once you've tied your knots you should always weight them, this will take any slack out of the knot, if you don't there is a possibility that in the event of a fall you may/could generate enough friction/heat to cause the rope to weaken at the knot.

I could go on but it would eventually lead into nitpicking and personal preferences.

The only thing i would give him credit for is the prusik loop, he's tied the ends with a double fishermans knot.

How the heck are you going to get down if you fumble and drop your climbing stick.

Last edited:

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Points taken on the karabiners and ascender, especially when he's up in the tree using the linemans belt and ascender as his tether and hanging off to the sides.

So say you set up the linemans rope with a prusik instead of the ascender and set up the webbing on your RCH to hold it in place. I realize the rear haul loop is not to be used like the front belay...my RCH rear haul is rated at over 10 kN. I feel like that is more than enough to be the key point of connection for your linemans rope to the RCH while moving up the tree. When using the linemans rope, the bulk of the tension be on the rope and webbing, correct?

My method is to move up the tree with sticks and a linemans rope, set the stand and place my tether, hook up to my tether, unhook the linemans belt, and move into the stand. Reverse the process coming down.

hoptoit

Points taken on the karabiners and ascender, especially when he's up in the tree using the linemans belt and ascender as his tether and hanging off to the sides.

So say you set up the linemans rope with a prusik instead of the ascender and set up the webbing on your RCH to hold it in place. I realize the rear haul loop is not to be used like the front belay...my RCH rear haul is rated at over 10 kN. I feel like that is more than enough to be the key point of connection for your linemans rope to the RCH while moving up the tree. When using the linemans rope, the bulk of the tension be on the rope and webbing, correct?

My method is to move up the tree with sticks and a linemans rope, set the stand and place my tether, hook up to my tether, unhook the linemans belt, and move into the stand. Reverse the process coming down.

Hi jsnake,

I may not be of much help on what to do as i would approach tree stands and climbing trees differently than what i'm seeing here, i would be using a combination of SRT and arborist techniques.

As for the haul loop, the loop is rated but the way its integrated into the harness may not be adequate enough to take a dynamic load, having said that the chance of slipping through the rope is slim, you would most likely end up with the rope under your arm pits and bark rash on your face.

Before i continue i will say that everyone has come to the conclusion that there is a possibility of a fall when ascending and descending trees and while in a tree stand, and as such all equipment should be fit for purpose and used as directed.

Personally i would do every thing from the front of the harness, if and i say if i was to use a lineman setup( which i wouldn't) it would be additional to a climbing harness.

I hate it when people write/say i wouldn't do it like that but don't give a alternative method, unfortunately i'm in that position now, i will not commit my self to instructing over the internet, there too many variables, what i will do is give you a site of very useful information on equipment and how to use it correctly, look through the sport section and the professional section which is what my work used to involve.

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport
https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/Activities

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Professional
https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Professional/Activities

if i was to do what your folks are trying to achieve on the cheap, this is a better method, meaning that you are utilising the the front loading points on the harness, not ideal but better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4p-KU5LWU