Can someone recommend quail and pheasant recipes?

Northwestretriever

Could someone recommend some quail and pheasant recipes? I've never cooked them before and have heard they are very easy to overcook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
When I cook quail I use a little salt and pepper, and dust em with flour, then fry till done in oil or lard. Can`t really tell you how long, I kinda go by feel. I take the quail out and make gravy with the drippins`, make a pot of grits, a pan of biscuits, and that`s a fine supper.

I don`t marinate them or use a lot of spices because quail have a good flavor all their own, and I don`t want to overpower the flavor of them.

If the pheasants are young, I do them the same way.

Lukikus2

Nic hit the nail on the head with quail. Fried whole and 10-12 minutes tops. The gravy is a must. Not that the birds need it. They are good enough on their own. The only other way I've cooked them is in a oven smothered with wild rice.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fried like Nic said is my favorite. I have cooked them on the grill. When cooking on the grill, I like to stuff with boudin, wrap with bacon and drizzle a little Italian dressing. I have stuffed them with jalapeno and pineapple slices, wrapped with bacon. Nothing beats them fried with gravy and biscuits.

Bream Pole

By all means what Nicodemus said. Only way to cook quail in my opinion, but then I'm like the guy said, "If it ain't fried, I'm suspicious of it."