coon trouble on my deer feeders

old florida gator

has anyone tried using old motor oil on the feeder legs to keep coons from climbing up and dumping out my feed using their paws to get all the corn on the ground.

I won't be buying any more corn , don't need to be feeding coons or hogs. :shoot:

bandit819

We use truss plates on all our legs. Get them at lowes ,screw them on all sides of legs about 2-3 feet off ground. Solved our coon problem.

old florida gator

we have those truss minders on all of the feeder ports does not stop those rascals also thinking about using silicone spray that is the water proof type on the feeder legs. last resort will have to just "shootem troy".

We put a varmint cage on all of our feeders and they have kept the coons and the squirrels out of the feeders. They can be ordered on line-mine was shipped via Amazon-Academy Stores have them on line as well as Cabela's, etc...Amazon was less expensive with free shipping in that we ordered 6 at one time. Easy to install. Make sure your particular barrel or container will accommodate the guard.

Additionally-there is a rodent repellant you can purchase and apply to the legs called "Detour For Rodents". It is available online from most do it yourself pest control suppliers. It comes in a caulking tube and the content is :

3% White Pepper
87% White Mineral Oil
10% Silica

When the rodent (or you) gets it on the skin it burns like crazy-animals will try to lick it off-it makes it worse. It is manufactured in California. It works great-but-use great care when working on or filling your feeders upon which you have applied this to the legs or other areas of the feeder. If it get on you-wash the affected area with soap and water. The animals that get into it tend to figure it out and avoid the stuff. It has no odor and will last about a month in the outdoors.

Last edited:

GA DAWG

I put a coon dog on the ground close by. Takes care of em quick:D

specialk

but dogs scare the deer and they will never come back.....

Hunt&Fish

I haven't tried it, but maybe someone else has. But I bet tack strips on the legs would work

I tried tack strips on the legs of my trough. Lot of work covering all 4 sides of 4x4 legs. Did not stop them. I have a camera so I have before and after. I tried peanut butter flavored corn. Coons don't much like that flavor. However, it is too expensive to use on a regular basis. I don't know how it would work mixing flavored corn and regular corn. I think it would be worth a try.

Good luck

WNewman

For our spinner type feeders, I bought a roll of chicken wire and made cages for all of them. Got tired of watching the tree rats ignoring all the corn on the ground and climbing the tree, jumping to the feeder and pulling all the corn out while I'm sitting there.

GA DAWG

yeah but that runs all the deer off forever and ever amen! ::ke:

You may need me to hunt your neighbors land. I'll run all the deer to your land...Maybe some of yall can talk your neigboring clubs into letting me hunt them. Tell em how good a job Im doing and all :D

Patent Pending
Your Feeder Deserves a
GREAT SET OF LEGS
HOME
PHOTO GALLERY
VIDEO GALLERY
PRODUCTS
DEALERS
ONLINE STORE
CONTACT US
Model 300 is Available, Order in the Online Store, or Contact Offset Feeder Legs using the Contact Us page.
For the past 15 years, I have bought and tried many deer feeders and they all share one common problem, raccoons stealing feed and damaging the spin cast units. The Offset Feeder Leg system eliminates that problem. With this system, The Offset Feeder Legs put the gravity feed ports or the spin cast unit out of reach of raccoons. I have field tested Offset Feeder Legs for more than a year and have watched over 8,000 videos of raccoons at my feeders and I can tell you, IT WORKS! The Offset Feeder Legs fit almost all feeders, including Boss Buck, On Time, American Hunter, Spintech and Moultrie, to name a few. To learn more about this innovative system, click here to CONTACT US.

What You Can Expect
Reduces feed cost
Prevents raccoons from accessing your spin cast or gravity feeder
Adjustable gravity feeder heights (37� to 42�)
Adjustable spin cast feeder heights (42�-60�-70�)
Easy leveling of feeder
Eliminates the need for varmint cages
Prevents damage to spinner plates, spin cast units and solar panels by raccoons
Fits most feeders

Google+

Offset Feeder Legs
Your Feeder Deserves a Great Set of Legs

Copyright © Offset Feeder Legs 2015 All rights reserved. Custom Design by The Think Network

Last edited:

AStrick

How bout baited live traps at feeders?
I get maybe 6, 7 coons a yr this way.
I check with locals that want'em.
Choot'em in da head and carry'em down to local hang out & give'em away.
Coarse ya gotta be there to trap'em.

Scrapy

Banned
What I would really like to know is what dang fool magazine writing author convinced 99% of it's readers about dogs and effects on deer???? And Yes, I am ready to debate Troughie Buck Management. They have had their time and now it is time for them to back up their stuff.
Who still subscribes to long antiquated hype????

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You could stop feeding the deer.