Looking at building a log splitter, kinetic or hydraulic?

rjcruiser

You probably don't need the kit....I usually clean them all out without kits anymore. Just be careful with the seals and that you don't booger up the gasket when you take it off. Just drain the bowl, clean it with carb cleaner and dip, use a wire brush needle to poke the jets clean and run some compressed air through it. Then, reassemble. Should have it good as new.

Looks good btw.

tree cutter 08

Going to pick up a rubber gasket at local shop tommrow. The rubber has started to gum and is leaking which I think is the problem.

muzzy17is

Tree cutter what size and brand hydraulic pump did you go with?
I went with an 11 gpm pump with a 24 gpm valve with an auto detent both from Rugged Made. Gonna get mine together this weekend I'm hoping.

tree cutter 08

I bought them from splitz .com I think it was. They got a lot of wood splitter stuff. Went with a 16 GPM pump since I'm running a 10.5 HP engine. I'm right in the middle of the HP range from bumping on up to the next size pump. I think 12hp was required for the 22 GPM pump. Im pretty happy with the speed of this pump. Plenty fast enough to keep wood moving through.

tree cutter 08

Ran about a half cord through it this evening and did great. Best part is my back isn't sore at all! Now sawing is going to be more work than the splitting.

Attachments

• IMG_20180215_165622770-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180215_165622770-600x800.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 54

muzzy17is

log splitter tank.jpg

Hey tree cutter did you put a baffle in your hydraulic reservoir. Here is what I have drummed up for mine. Suction and return will be on opposite sides of the tank caticorner from each other. Let me know what you think?

tree cutter 08

No, didn't put a baffle in it. I did put a suction strainer in. If I had to do over again I would have ran a hard pipe in straight from filter like in your diagram. Would have saved few bucks on fittings.

tree cutter 08

That's what the loading arm is for. No lifting required! Roll it to the arm and machine picks it up. I would do a video of it but posting pictures is about all I can manage to do.

tree cutter 08

A cable runs from the loading arm up to a pull at the top and down to the back side of the wedge. It lifts on the cylinder down stroke.

Attachments

• IMG_20180215_163344272_HDR-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180215_163344272_HDR-600x800.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 53
That's alright in my book. Do you ever have logs roll off the opposite side of the loader arm. We have a small piece of angle iron on the opposite side to keep the logs from rolling off. Its a pinky pincher if you don't watch out, though.

muzzy17is

A cable runs from the loading arm up to a pull at the top and down to the back side of the wedge. It lifts on the cylinder down stroke.

I'm probably gonna put the same sort of set up on mine. It's a good way not to have to spend a bunch of money on hydraulic parts.

tree cutter 08

Haven't yet but would be nice to have a bigger table. About 2 peices of wood is all you want sitting on the table and still have room to work. I may put a valve and cylinder on the loader arm one day as it would be nice to be able to stack 3 or 4 peices on it, lift and roll as needed.

one hogman

Haven't yet but would be nice to have a bigger table. About 2 peices of wood is all you want sitting on the table and still have room to work. I may put a valve and cylinder on the loader arm one day as it would be nice to be able to stack 3 or 4 peices on it, lift and roll as needed.

Do you mind saying what kind of $$ you have in parts and Materials??

muzzy17is

Tree cutter how much hydraulic oil did you put in your splitter and how did you figure out when you had the right amount?

tree cutter 08

I got more than I was hoping but wound up with around 1200 or so in it plus torch gas, might gas and probably 100 in wire and rods. I already had the engine and made hydraulic tank from old compressor so if I had to buy those it would have put me close to 2k . there's a few splitters out there similar commercially produced in the 5 k range. Metal is $$$