Surprising Afternoon at Jackson

B

Beagle Boy

I went bass fishing yesterday at Jackson thinking there's not a chance in this world it would be a trip I'd always remember.

HOWEVER, I was with "Mr.-always-gonna-catch-em." :fine: That's Mr. Batson for those of you who don't know.

We ran up the river and started catching a few small spots on some main-lake stuff. We were throwing small crankbaits, more like you would on a mid-February pattern. I picked up a blade with double Colorados and really went to slow-rolling. I put about a 2-lb. largemouth in the boat, right before Aaron stuck one nearly three. Before we knew it we had seven keepers that'd go around eight or nine pounds. Not bad in three hours when it's 40 degrees and it's been raining for two days. I felt like we'd had a heck of an afternoon.

OH NO, THAT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

We eased up on a main-lake point and Aaron hooked a big, I mean BIG, fish. I can still hear the drag ripping. Two minutes later I netted the biggest hybrid I've ever seen in the boat. We couldn't believe it.

After a few photos, Aaron tosses back out there and catches the hybrid's twin brother.

We went back to Berry's and Berry got his tournament scales out. They weighed 11.87 and 11.93 pounds. Lake record was 15-2.

It was a very memorable way to spend a nasty, raw day on the water.

B

Beagle Boy

Of course, I need to download them. They'll be in the April issue.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Beagle!

I had the same expeience with Aaron on Oconee last year!

He caught a monster, about 12 pounds of "swimming pig" as he called it on a spinner bait!

When the fish lit it up Aaron kicked it high gear and started barking orders at me like he was Adm. John Paul Jones! :confused: He kept fighting the fish and saying "Man! This is the biggest largemouth I've ever caught!" while he ran from one end of the boat to the other!

The agony on his face and in his voice when that big slab of hybrid rolled to the surface was horrible!!! :cry:

Then, just as it happened with you, our thoughts turned to the question of a record! Though it was not to be.

That feller is a fishing machine and anyone that gets a chance should certainly jump on it. This time of year it can be hard to book with him but it is worth a try!

Glad to hear y'all had a great trip! :cheers:

TurkeyCreek

Man, sounds like a great day on the lake!!!

Yep, Aaron can put you on some fish for sure!

fredw

Retired Moderator
Aaron

I know you're a bass guy but you can't beat those big hybrids for a fight.....unless it's a bigger striper :bounce:

B

Beagle Boy

Jeff,

Aaron thought he had "the cover fish" yesterday.

"There he is, it's theeee mannnn." :hair:
"Get the net, I've got a PIG on here."

When he saw it was a hybrid he didn't get that disappointed, especially since Jackson isn't really known for big hybrids like that. But all day after that, he kept saying, "I thought I had the cover fish." :banginghe

Still a blast. I really thought he had the lake record for a few hours.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
You mean you ain't goin' to put them big ole "trash fish" on the cover of the mag! :bounce:

Aaron,

SURE YOU KNEW!!!! Good try! :rolleyes: :bounce:

Y'all have a good weekend!