Back to Bethel-A DRCFA Tale

olcaptain

Back to Bethel

Returning to our roots from time to time is a refreshing and invigorating experience. God first revealed Himself to Jacob in a dream at Bethel. Later, Jacob returned to Bethel to be reminded once again that God had indeed kept (and still keeps) His promises.

It was only fitting for the Ol’ Captain to return to the roots of his childhood today. My guest was none other than the firstborn son of Alva D himself! Across the boat from the Ol' Captain today sat the ever popular, often imitated but never duplicated, Captain Dan LaFavor!

Captain Dan came all the way from Jacksonville, Florida to fish aboard the boat bearing that famous name. I have known Captain Dan for over 52 years. We have fished and made memories together now for over half a century. I have looked up to this guy all of my life because you see, Captain Dan is my big brother .

Even though he often picked on me as a child I knew he would be (and he has been) in my corner whenever and wherever I needed him.

As children, we spent a lot of time fishing with our Dad. Through the years we have shared a lot of simple fun on our many fishing adventures. Even though the river of life has ebbed and flowed and the tide has risen and fallen many times since our childhood, we still enjoy the opportunities to get together and fish and relive old times.

It somehow seemed only fitting for these two boys to return to Bethel today. It was only appropriate that we fish together aboard the ALVA D. My goal for today was to drift back in time and for two grown men who now have children and even grandchildren of their own, to be young boys fishing and playing on the river once again. Just being together and having a great time with not a care in the world. So how did it go today? Did we catch some Carp? Did the mighty Dog cough up a Top Cat? Did we bring whiskers and scales from the bottom to the boat? Did Captain Dan make a dent in the DRCFA Scoreboard? I thought you’d never ask……………..

Today's Tale

As a kid I would wake up several times during the night before a fishing trip. I guess some things never change. I tossed and turned a bit last night just anticipating the activities of this special day. I was so hoping that Danny and I would catch some Golden Ghosts and maybe even get him on the DRCFA scoreboard.

We started our morning with coffee and then a hearty breakfast at Cracker Barrel. By 8:30 we were chumming two places on Dog River. It was cold and over cast and things at the Dog were quite frankly, dead. By 11:00 or so I was ready for a change. Being determined to make the most of our day, I suggested we leave the Dog and go to the Hooch. We trailered the ALVA D and headed for the Hooch. The river was up and swift but we still got in and fished until about 1:30PM with absolutely no results! By then I was getting frustrated. I thought maybe it was time to quit fishing and go into another line of business. I thought if we can’t catch fish then what can we do? Did we need a career change? Perhaps we should go into the cattle business?

At last I thought of one more spot to try! What if we pulled the boat out of the Hooch and headed to Sweetwater Park? Maybe then we could at least get a Cat on the scoreboard! Was Captain Dan up to the task? Was he willing to tackle this trifecta of a day? You better believe he was! By 2:45 we were anchored in Sweetwater Park Lake. Shortly thereafter, Dan made history by catching the first eligible DRCFA Top Cat of 2005!

We all know that this 1 lb, 4 oz Cat will not go the distance. Captain Dan will only reign until a bigger fish comes along. I know that Dan may not always be the DRCFA Top Cat but (change of direction) he will always be Top Drawer in my book! Was it a great day even though only one fish was caught? Surely you don’t have to ask………

Until next time,

The Ol' Captain

"Be Ye fishers of men....You catch 'em and He will clean 'em."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current 2005 DRCFA Carp Standings as of 3/19/05

1. Lon “Butterbean” Wynn 11 lbs, 08 ozs 1/10/05

2. Jason Howard 8lbs, 03 ozs 2/17/05

3. Jerry Howard 8lbs, 02 ozs 2/17/05

Current "Top Cat" Category

1. Dan LaFavor 1lb 4 ozs 3/19/05