Striper fishing ?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
ANyone ever heard of using goldfish for bait and if so do you know whether or not it's legal?

I don't have a clue, though a buddy of mine who's computerless wants to know. He's planning on leaving out fishing first thing in the morning and would like to know tonight if possible.

TIA.... :type:

Jim Ammons

Don't know about goldfish. I have used baltimore minnows which were the same color as gold fish.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Jim, I guess he heard somewhere that they make good striper bait though is concerned as to whether or not their legal to use in Georgia lakes and rivers.

He's heading up to the Coosa River first thing in the morning with about 10 of them in his bait tank @ $00.25 ea. which is cheap if they work , though he doesn't want to get in trouble if their illegal.

Gizzard shad has a gold like color to them as well, so I would assume they would work also. He'll probably go ahead and use them unless he hears something from me before hand telling him not.

Last edited:

jay sullivent

i don't know for sure but i don't think it is legal. i don't thimk it would be good for striper antway. tomorrow should be an excellent day for striper. i can't wait!

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I heard earlier today that someone caught a striper on Lanier that would go around 37 lbs this week. Man, I'd love to hook into one like that... :D

treedawg

I don't think it's legal to use goldfish in any GA lake. You are possibly introducing a non-native fish in the waters which is a big no-no. I'm not a 100% sure if this is correct, but I wouldn't want to get caught dunking goldfish by the game warden.

TD

Jorge

Goldfish won't stay on a hook very well. They will get soggy and just fall off. However, bream love them. Just crumble them up and scatter the crumbs on the surface. You will have bream boiling on the surface in no time. :rofl: :rofl:

matthewsman

Jorge?

Cheddar or pizza flavored? :bounce:

striper commander

coossa

He ought to just go by brushy branch or the lock and get a bunch of gizzard shad. If he does not have a tank he could catch some on cut bait that is if he has a cast net. They are real easy to get in those too spots.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I think he has cheddar, though I'm not certain...:D

Jorge, that was to funny... :bounce:

300mag, He has a bait tank and a cast net and usually catches his own bait, I guess he was just wanting to try something different... :confused: :)