Englishter Food...With a Little Help From an Old Southern Cook

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always thought the British had their hearts in the right place with their fish and chips (bless their hearts.)
As far as their tater plan, I have no complaints. Except them ain't chips. Them are fries.
Their fish, though, could use some work:
A: They use fish with weird names like hake, haddock, and cod. Who wants to eat that mess? I think Clark's Hill flathead catfish belly chunks would be much more better. And, I know what it is.
B: They like bland stuff. I think some of my swamp dust Cajun/Creole seasoning would help that batter out. And a lot more black pepper and salt. Maybe some MSG.
C: I hear they don't like ketchup or bread with it. My response: Bless their hearts. :rofl:
D: Mushy peas? I putting any of that mess anywhere near my mouth, much less in it.

I give you redneck fish and giant French fries. Flathead belly meat fried in a highly seasoned crispy beer/club soda batter, English-style taters named the right thing, with some homemade tartar sauce and fried garlic toast. It were quite tasty. @Roebuck, feel free to castigate and educate me. :bounce:

fish-n-chips.jpg
arlo7.jpg

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've always thought the British had their hearts in the right place with their fish and chips (bless their hearts.)
As far as their tater plan, I have no complaints. Except them ain't chips. Them are fries.
A: They use fish with weird names like hake, haddock, and cod. Who wants to eat that mess? I think Clark's Hill flathead catfish belly chunks would be much more better. And, I know what it is.
B: They like bland stuff. I think some of my swamp dust Cajun/Creole seasoning would help that batter out. And a lot more black pepper and salt. Maybe some MSG.
C: I hear they don't like ketchup or bread with it. My response: Bless their hearts. :rofl:
D: Mushy peas? I putting any of that mess anywhere near my mouth, much less in it.

I give you redneck fish and giant French fries. Flathead belly meat fried in a highly seasoned crispy beer/club soda batter, English-style taters named the right thing, with some homemade tartar sauce and fried garlic toast. It were quite tasty. @Roebuck, feel free to castigate and educate me. :bounce:

View attachment 1293347
View attachment 1293348
Yeah buddy! That looks perfect. Them spuds look legit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah buddy! That looks perfect. Them spuds look legit.
They were very legit. Boiled for awhile until they get fuzzy when you shake them in a colander, then off into the fridge to rest awhile, and crisped up at 375*.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

View attachment 1293347
View attachment 1293348
Oh say can you see...

Looks great

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
That looks all kinds of good! While I’m skewed to flathead, crappie and such as well, some cod fries up mighty well too.
Smallies too

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What is your position on malt vinegar with the fish.
Undecided as of yet. Not a turn-off, but not anything that really grabs me. I prefer lemon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tarter Sauce Recipe? Please.
I just stirred stuff up in a bowl until it tasted like I wanted it. That's not standard classic tartar sauce. I think this had some Duke's, sour cream, chopped up pickles, garlic, black pepper, Lea & Perrin's, lemon juice, dill, dijon mustard, horseradish, and such. I like capers in there myself, but my wife has funky reactions to them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great. However, I still prefer a little ketchup with hot sauce instead of tartar sauce but that's just me.
I generally do too, if you add some horseradish in there.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I prefer malt vinegar with beer battered fried fish. Cocktail sauce with shrimp and the only time I use tarter sauce is with hushpuppies.

deermaster13

My grandmother was Welch. I spent some time over there. The food took some getting used to. Ketchup..forget it! Black pepper no sir, just white pepper. Lots of malt vinegar on the table though. I ate my weight in fish and chips over there and yes no Ketchup but I got by. One fried common dish was faggots. Yep I about had a melt down the first time gramma ordered them. Fried up like a meat ball but with a lot of pork heart, liver etc.. gramma said during the war in Wales nothing went to waste. Great thread hillbilly and thanks for the memories you brought up brother!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks great!!!