Englishter Food...With a Little Help From an Old Southern Cook

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
I've always thought the British had their hearts in the right place with their fish and chips (bless their hearts.)
As far as their tater plan, I have no complaints. Except them ain't chips. Them are fries.
Their fish, though, could use some work:
A: They use fish with weird names like hake, haddock, and cod. Who wants to eat that mess? I think Clark's Hill flathead catfish belly chunks would be much more better. And, I know what it is.
B: They like bland stuff. I think some of my swamp dust Cajun/Creole seasoning would help that batter out. And a lot more black pepper and salt. Maybe some MSG.
C: I hear they don't like ketchup or bread with it. My response: Bless their hearts. :rofl:
D: Mushy peas? I putting any of that mess anywhere near my mouth, much less in it.

I give you redneck fish and giant French fries. Flathead belly meat fried in a highly seasoned crispy beer/club soda batter, English-style taters named the right thing, with some homemade tartar sauce and fried garlic toast. It were quite tasty. @Roebuck, feel free to castigate and educate me. :bounce:

View attachment 1293347
View attachment 1293348

So more examples of a people separated by a common language. Can’t remember who originally said it maybe George Bernard Shaw.

Any how.

Chips are fries
Crisps are chips
Prawns are shrimp

I reckon we have the best fish unless your counting your salmon, lobster tails, lobster, crab, catfish, tilapia, mahi mahi oh I reckon you could right.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So more examples of a people separated by a common language. Can’t remember who originally said it maybe George Bernard Shaw.

Any how.

Chips are fries
Crisps are chips
Prawns are shrimp

I reckon we have the best fish unless your counting your salmon, lobster tails, lobster, crab, catfish, tilapia, mahi mahi oh I reckon you could right.
Don't forget walleye and crappie. :)

And I was just ::ke: at ya. :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not tried walleye or crappie yet. Will look out for those on my next trip over.

:cheers:
The main difference here is that most good freshwater fish are designated as gamefish, so they can't be bought and sold, you have to catch them yourself. Catfish and farmed rainbow trout are about the only exceptions of good-eating fish that are sold commercially, but the one you catch in the wild are 10x better than the farm-raised ones.