Ducked the string

Kris87

Sorry to hear about your miss. All you can do is get back in the saddle and get it done next time. Confidence is the absolute, 100% most important attribute when bowhunting.

b5fish

At least you missed clean and did not hit guts. You still have a very good chance at getting him. Nothing is worse than a gut shot deer.. Get back out there and bag him

Quailbird

I do something sighting in that is 180 degrees from what many gun hunters do. I know many people who set their scopes up at "an inch high at 100 yards". I set my pin at 1" low at each yardage mark. The initial instinct of any spooked deer is to squat in order to set it's feet for flight.

I also think the adrenaline rushing through our bodies makes us sub-consciously aim for something big like dead center of the deer. If you are high in a tree, the downward angle can take away your room for error. I "try" to make myself take an extra second to relax, aim small, and release slow. In the end, it is bowhunting and let the failures drive you to keep after it. We've all missed and if you have bowhunted long enough, you have missed some head scratchers. Good luck!

XJfire75

Shot a doe lower third for 30 yards knowif she was nervous and at 38 yards and she still got under the arrow. It happens. Even when you plan for it they can surprise you. Keep at it and you’ll learn when to take certain shots at any distance

hambone76

Hate it that you missed. At least it was a clean Miss and you have another chance at him later on down the road. The speed of sound outruns an arrow by a wide margin.

2bbshot

Sorry to hear about your miss. All you can do is get back in the saddle and get it done next time. Confidence is the absolute, 100% most important attribute when bowhunting.

This times 1 million! Get out there and kill one with bow get you confidence back and go on. It’s everything if your not confident your done before you start. Have fun with the boom stick! They hurt my girly ears so I’ll keep rocking this hoyt.

Cole Henry

That's a pretty good distance. The last deer I killed last week was only 28 yards away and she had already spun half way around by the time the arrow got there. and my bow is pretty fast. Unfortunately it is part of bow hunting. I always aim a little low to anticipate the drop.

ACracing98

I try not to shoot at deer over 20 yards with a bow..... especially not a spooky deer.

ACracing98

Sorry for the double post...... wasn't sure if it posted because of weak cell signal.

Barebowyer

Even aiming at the lower 1/3 of the deer's vitals, especially with trad equipment, you will still have them duck your arrow occasionally! Fact! Many videos to prove it. If you haven't had it happen, you haven't shot at enough deer! LOL. Try telling yourself to actually aim below a deer at the ground to hit where you want, that's hard to do!!!!!!!!

oldfella1962

Even aiming at the lower 1/3 of the deer's vitals, especially with trad equipment, you will still have them duck your arrow occasionally! Fact! Many videos to prove it. If you haven't had it happen, you haven't shot at enough deer! LOL. Try telling yourself to actually aim below a deer at the ground to hit where you want, that's hard to do!!!!!!!!

Great attitude! Worst case, you shoot low with a clean miss. Best case you hit low in the lungs and you get a better blood trail versus high in the lungs. Deer can only dip down, they can't get higher without loading up their legs. Can you jump flat footed & with locked knees? So considering that they can only travel in one direction vertically from a standing position, logic would dictate shoot low.