Ducked the string

red neck richie

Had a buck at 40 yards and it ducked the string and I shot over its back. I am looking forward to gun season Saturday. How do yall handle this. I know it happens but it is frustrating.

stick_slinger

You kick yourself until you get enough redemption to make you forget about it.

ProAngler

Had a buck at 40 yards and it ducked the string and I shot over its back. I am looking forward to gun season Saturday. How do yall handle this. I know it happens but it is frustrating.

A lot of experienced hunters don't shoot that far because they know there is a good chance that can happen. Especially with traditional bows compared to faster crossbows. You will learn as you get more time in the woods.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Usually when one starts thinking a deer "ducked the string", One should realize one's self just didn't put it where it needed to be (in my opinion). No reaching for the rifle here, unless my 12 year old is reaching for it

red neck richie

Usually when one starts thinking a deer "ducked the string", One should realize one's self just didn't put it where it needed to be (in my opinion). No reaching for the rifle here, unless my 12 year old is reaching for it

I knew I could count on you for expert advice. I'm sure you never missed a deer. You know why trees in Georgia lean to the west? Because Mississippi is west?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You asked for an opinion, I gave it. No Need to get butt hurt. You missed, it happens, get over it and move on. I've missed...yep. But I didn't look into my bag of "it was the broad head, deer ducked the arrow, it was the gear's fault" tricks. I just didn't execute, and I admitted it to myself.

red neck richie

You asked for an opinion, I gave it. No Need to get butt hurt. You missed, it happens, get over it and move on. I've missed...yep. But I didn't look into my bag of "it was the broad head, deer ducked the arrow, it was the gear's fault" tricks. I just didn't execute, and I admitted it to myself.

That was my question? Deer duck the string is there anything you tell yourself you should do nextime?

red neck richie

By the way I will still take a frontal heart shot if I feel good about the shot.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Man, I obviously made quite the impression on you if you remember that. I'm assuming you were one of the ones to disagree? Well, good. To each his own. Opinions and all ya know....we all have em. No grudges here. Seems like maybe you are still toting one?

red neck richie

Man, I obviously made quite the impression on you if you remember that. I'm assuming you were one of the ones to disagree? Well, good. To each his own. Opinions and all ya know....we all have em. No grudges here. Seems like maybe you are still toting one?

No grudges just a disagreement. I have a yellow just like the one with the second place ribbon in your avatar.

Duff

Yes...I would tell myself to execute a lethal shot next time.

Yep. Either make the shot or don't take it next time would be my advice.

What do you want someone to say? Aim low if a deer is over 35.4 yds and acting semi nervous. If it extremely nervous aim at its elbow? :huh:

Clipper

Deer do "duck the string" or squat often times before the arrow gets there. There are enough videos on the web to prove this. I remember seeing one video where the deer did a duck and roll to avoid the arrow.
I've often wondered if they are reacting to the sound of the string, the sound of the arrow coming at them, or whether they see the arrow coming due to their wide peripheral vision. Read the post at the link below written by Robert Carter. Robert shoots only traditional bows and the post was written for traditional bow hunters, but it is also good advice for compound shooters too. If you shoot at the lowest vital organ on the deer and it ducks, you still should kill the deer. Hope this helps.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=570924

deast1988

It happens, the more you shoot the more you can read body behavior. Was this a bow or Crossbow? I've let deer at 15yds walk with my longbow if they act nervous. I've let deer at 30yds walk with my compound. All depends on situation. ImO you need to shoot a pile of deer with Archery and then you can start to decipher behavior. I've killed 35deer with stick and string 1 with a crossbow. My numbers most likely below a good many on this forum but I try to encourage folks to shoot animals if it's the right situation only then will you learn the dos and the Donts.

Ihunt

You can aim lower and if they duck then you should still hit high lung.

If they are jumpy it's best to wait but if one is stomping their foot you can shoot when they have their leg raised. They will want to put the let down before they take off and by that time the arrow will have found its mark.

The Fever

Always take a lower third shot at that range. If they don't jump you hit the heart. If they jump, you drill the lungs.

LipRip'r

I won't shoot 40 for that reason. I had a relaxed doe spin & duck at 32, arrow glanced off her shoulder. Stand down range behind a tree & have your buddy shoot a target & listen as the arrow comes towards you...you'll hear why they react.

goshenmountainman

I had a doe probably twenty years ago come up on me, I was sitting on the ground. She was looking at me from about 25 yds. when I drew my bow, put the pin behind her shoulderand released. She ducked and spun away from me, when her head came up from the duck and spin the arrow hit her square between the ears in the back of her head. Deer can move extremely fast and that taught me to never shoot at a animal looking at me. The bow was a Mountaineer Mountainman , not an extremely fast bow but was one of the fastest at the time. Deer are amazing animals and when you think you've seen it all they will show you different. By the way she never made a step after the arrow hit her.