Need a garage.

TCOmega

So I think I am going to have to finally bite the bullet, and build a detached garage. I am thinking of 26' x 36'. What do you think would be cheaper to build, metal or wood? With my back being jacked up, I will have to hire it built for me. Last I priced OSB plywood, it was over $16/sheet. I am in a subdivision, so either would need to look like a garage rather than a mere storage shed.

Anyone have recommendations on either type of builder, Douglas, Carroll, Coweta area?

My buddy had a nice metal garage built several years ago, about the same size I need, and he spent about $7,000, which included the concrete. If I can get it done for under $10,000, I would be very happy.

BeerThirty

Following. Considering one myself and live in Coweta. I am by no means in the building trade and I'm sure I will be humbled by my guess, but I have to believe you're looking to be at least north of $15k for something like that. Especially if you're considering a mostly finished garage.

rjcruiser

Building a house right now that is going to be a metal/red iron building structure.

Costs you'll have are going to be the following:

Grading - $125 per hour
Slab/Concrete - $5 per foot
Metal Building - $9-12 per foot depending on height and insulation
Erection - $5-6 per foot

At 1000 sq feet, I don't see how your buddy got one done for $7k. That's what you're going to spend just on grading and concrete. If you have it done by a reputable steel company, I don't see you getting a 1,000 sq ft garage for less than $20k erected.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
We are in the middle of a 24 x 35 2 car with upstairs storage plus a lean to with several of the wife's upgrades and spending mid 60's.
I was hoping to be around 40, but after talking to 5 local builders/contractors, it was not to be.

Last edited:

rospaw

Building a house right now that is going to be a metal/red iron building structure.

Costs you'll have are going to be the following:

Grading - $125 per hour
Slab/Concrete - $5 per foot
Metal Building - $9-12 per foot depending on height and insulation
Erection - $5-6 per foot

At 1000 sq feet, I don't see how your buddy got one done for $7k. That's what you're going to spend just on grading and concrete. If you have it done by a reputable steel company, I don't see you getting a 1,000 sq ft garage for less than $20k erected.

This^^^^
i say close to 30 and even more if you insulate and finish walls.

rayjay

If your back is screwed up are you going to get to use the garage like you hope to?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am in the process of building one. It is 20'X28' and I am in for right about 10K right now. Got one price of $40K and one of $36. and those were for exterior only.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 399

rjcruiser

This^^^^
i say close to 30 and even more if you insulate and finish walls.

Yup...i didn't think about doors and windows. Plus if you have a gc do it all instead of subbing it out yourself, add another $7-10 a foot. Dried in cost of $40-45 Is what your looking at for a no frills steel building.

1gr8bldr

The metal look nice enough..... they just don't match or compliment the typical home. This is why most HMO's don't allow them. I have seen some that looked really great when you use 2 tone colors on the trim pieces.

TCOmega

Thanks for the responses, looks like I have some research to do. Maybe I just need to sell off a whole bunch of stuff, so I won't even need one!

rjcruiser

Try a metal garage. you have the slab poured, then the company comes and installs the garage. Fully customizable including siding color and roof color, windows, doors, etc.

Here's a 3 car garage with a walk through door in your size range:
https://www.eversafebuildings.com/pricing/specials/3-car-garage-2/

Couple of things to look at and think about when buying a steel building. How much are you going to hang from the ceiling/beams? What height do you want? Any overhang/soffitts? Roof pitch...there are some counties that have requirements for a steeper pitch.

Also, I wouldn't just have anyone do the concrete. It has to be poured right and the anchor bolts have to be exact, or else you'll have issues with erection.

If you want some names/numbers of people that do this, let me know. I'm going through it right now with my house and have been pleased so far with the steel company I chose, the concrete guy that was supplied and the erector that is doing it. I'm about 3-4 months out from anticipated move in date....so, I'll know more then :D

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Will your HOA allow the prefab type buildings ? Some folks are making them big and nicer now.

TCOmega

Will your HOA allow the prefab type buildings ? Some folks are making them big and nicer now.

Our HOA has sort of fallen apart. We are now allowing the prebuilt storage sheds like Home Depot sells. In years past, they needed to look just like the house, i.e. vinyl siding, windows,etc. Metal shouldn't be an issue.

rospaw