Razorback Ridge Hog Hunting Preserve

MULE

Not sure how your planning on setting up your pen, but one suggestion I would have is have a smaller ROUND pen with shoots on the side to house your hogs. Only turn a few hogs in at a time into the 200 acres, or none at all. If you leave the hogs in the big area they'll eat all the vegetation up to chest high. That way you can still accommodate the hunters that want to stalk them. I'd try to figure out how to keep the area busy at all times.

I would also set it up to charge dog hunters to come train hog dogs too. I meet some good friends from Texas sometimes in Meridian MS at a hog dog pen. 200 acres is a great size to train pups and I know you would have some customers that way too. I could get you some prices on that if you would like. You would want to be able to swap around your hogs so you wouldn't waste good bred hogs on dog hunters, they wouldn't care when just trainning.

I would also look at field trials I'm sure Uncle Earl's rakes in the money. You will already have everything set up for it. I'm not necessary a fan of field trials, but a lot of folks are and they are fun to go watch. I do usually spend money on shirts, admission and food.

huntemwfo

From a business perspective...good luck. While I do not agree that animals should be fenced in then shot for sport I commend anyone willing to start a business in today's economy plus given the economic forcast for the next few years.

You will need about 14,000 feet of woven wire fence. Cost per foot for wire and installation was $1.51 back in '05. That was before fuel started going up but it will get you in the ballpark. So the cost for the fence will be about $21,000. Boar hogs will cost a min of $100 each plus transportation. You are going to need at least 100. Thats another $10,000 - $15,000. Now you have $30k - $40k into it BEFORE you sell the first hunt. Additional expense will be website design, advertising, insurance, guides, carrying cost, lic, ....

52 weeks per year but take out June - Aug as no one is going to want to hunt hogs in 90 degrees. Also Nov/Dec will be slow due to deer season and the holidays. So really 7 good months. How many hunts can you sell each month? I'm guessing you can clear maybe $150 per hunt. That means you will need to sell 266 hunts before you get your capital back. Oh and btw you haven't taken any money for yourself yet.

Given the fact that people can hunt them through GA for almost free and that there is SUBSTANTIAL competition.... I wish you luck.

I wish I had the resources to be able to sell free range hunts. I think I can make my hunts as challenging as they need to be according to the hunters abilities. My aim is to help disabled kids and hunters as well as kids and people with limited knowledge who want to get into the sport of hunting. With a fence I can have a little control to help these people. I think I can also make my hunts as challenging as needed also. My property is thick with varying terrain and can make for some tough hunting. Veteran hunters with limits on time and hunting property can come have a challenging but successful hunt. I am not expecting to get rich, just to be able to do what I love while helping people enjoy the outdoors. Also thanks for all the info. On the wire fencing where did you get the pricing through?

easbell

A couple of questions? How do you know how "challenging to make them" and how do you about that? Do you tie them to a tree vs brake a leg vs let them run wild? How is it hunting if you know you are going to kill something?

huntemwfo

A couple of questions? How do you know how "challenging to make them" and how do you about that? Do you tie them to a tree vs brake a leg vs let them run wild? How is it hunting if you know you are going to kill something?

No hog will be tied, trapped and released in front of the hunter, or disabled in any way on MY preserve. I notice you have a pointer as your avatar. Have you ever hunted birds that were bought and set out? Same thing that I will be doing. If you set out 40 birds on your property hunting will be easier than if you set out 2 birds on your property. If I have 2 hogs in a 200 acre pine thicket with creek bottoms and deep drainages, it will be challenging for a vetran hunter. If I have 40 hogs on 200 acres a disabled person or a youth hunter will be thrilled to harvest a hog from a blind looking over a food plot. My fence keeps me legal as I will be transporting hogs caught from farms and hunting lands where they are not wanted and released in my preserve to be harvested by someone. None of my hogs will be able to roam to other properties to do damage after they are placed on my property. Like I have stated in previous posts I welcome all opinoins and appreciate them all and will welcome all hunters of all kinds to hunt with me. Lets keep supporting all legal hunting and encourage all to try hunting in Georgia as well as other states. Our future hunting, depends on our future hunters. Hunt safe and God bless.

huntemwfo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quotes from your posts.
ZZ and I get birds from the same guy. His birds this year are unreal! The best I have ever seen. Most are my hunters are having a hard time hitting them. They are smaller than most birds and FAST. Consider yourself warned.

How is it hunting if you know you are going to kill something?
::ke: My mom always said something about rocks and glass houses:huh:

Pup Training

You may want to seriously consider the pup training idea. There would probably be a lot of people with dogs that may want to utilize that option. In a former life I raised and trained coondogs for people all over the eastern US. We went from Florida to Michigan hunting and handling hounds. A young dog would hit a point where they had finally done it on their own and had the meat up a tree. This time period after this event was crucial to the hounds development. I used to go to a 20 acre coon pen to hunt these young hounds after they reached this point. I wouldn't put them in there too often but maybe once a month. The guy charged rent in 4 hour blocks. We might have 3 or 4 young pups when we went. You could let one get under a coon, swap to another one, let one get treed and cut out another to make them hold their pressure on the tree or any thing else you wanted to try to get done. The great part about his place was that I could put a pup on a hot track quick and help it do something right rather than free casting where it could run off game maybe and get into trouble. Also in a fenced enviornment behaviorial problems and corrections to these items were easier because you could get to a dog in a hurry if needed. It might add a helpful number to your bottom line. Just a thought.

wheelin

Awesome man..If you get into the handicap hunts Ive got some info that will help with money..

huntemwfo

Handicap, special needs, and youth hunters are my primary goal. Got a pm from a guy telling me about Outdoors Without Limits. Gonna contact them when I get this thing rolling. I have been working with kids all my life but the handicap and disabled hunts are gonna be new to me. Maybe you can pm me with some ideas. I know there are gonna be some things I overlook or just dont think about.

easbell

Quail hunting is about watching dogs work (same with the coon hunters and some doggers) not about killing quail. In much the same light that deer hunting (to most) is about the hunt not the kill.

So on some hunts where you would release 40 hogs on 200 acres. Do they kill all the hogs? If not how do you get them back into the holding pens so that you can release 2 hogs for the next "vetran" hunter?

Also if the hogs do get out would you be financially responsible for any damage they do?

huntemwfo

How is it hunting if you know you are going to kill something? That was your question. When you set out birds you know you will kill. If you didnt kill nobody would come back to hunt with you. Eventually the end result from hunting is killing. Also by state law every hog released in my preserve has to be killed. I am helping the state of Georgia, farmers, Youth hunters, disabled hunters and hunters of all kinds. Like I said, lets support all legal hunting together.

Last edited:

wheelin

I think its awesome what your doing man. i can tell ya that if it wasn't for good people like you in this world then people with disabilities wouldnt get to have the chance to hunt in certain places. Thank you again. I have told some of my "GIMP" friends what your doing and they are very excited

huntemwfo

This has been my dream. Helping people and doing what I love while taking care of my family. What more could one want. Cant wait to see you and your friends kill a big'ole hawg!