Scopes

joey1919

higher power scopes aren't harder to "keep still" they just let you see all the moving you are doing. it doesn't matter if the scope is on 2 or 22. If the crosshairs are moving on 22 power and you crank it down to get them steady you haven't accomplished anything except making your picture smaller.

To the op, I like big objectives. it gives you a bigger picture and a little more light than smaller ones(all other things being equal) The only downside to a larger obj like 50 or 56mm for a deer hunter is price. weight and distance from the bore come into play but I don't think that's much of a concern for your intended use

my favorite scope of all time was a 4-14x56

shdw633

higher power scopes aren't harder to "keep still" they just let you see all the moving you are doing.

What's the difference??? The point I'm trying to make is just because the deer looks bigger in the scope that's 20 power versus a 10 power doesn't make the shot easier, it just shows you that you aren't keeping still when your aiming at the target more than it does in a 10 or 12 power. I also stated it was on those targets that are farther out there, which to me is anything over 225/250+. And yes you can pull the magnification out to find your deer but trying to get it up to the higher magnification while trying to stay on a moving deer is difficult, as the OP pointed out he is hunting new clear cuts and generally the deer are usually moving though those areas and not stationary long enough to allow you to take your time moving up to the higher magnification. I have had scopes up to 18 power and got rid of it for those reasons and the fact that you can't hardly see through them at that magnification come early or late light and the scope was a 50AO scope. Better to spend the money on the best class you can buy up to 12 power and with a 50AO in my opinion, then to buy a scope for the same money that goes out to 18+ power but has lesser glass in it. JMO. :cheers:

1776Flintlock

I guess I should clarify, I'm not so much hung up on brand but more interested in size.

I guess I'm wondering are the 6x24x50 and the 6.5x20x50 too much scope. Would a 4x16x50 meet the needs, or should I step up to a bigger scope?

Depends where you hunt. Out West you would need magnification and a big objective.

Thick woods you need a wider Field of View (FOV). So maybe a variable that starts at 2 or 3 power and goes up to 9 or ten power. But the objective can be smaller for the FOV so something like a 2x7x42mm would fit the bill.

Check out each brand in the store. I am partial to Leupold for rifle scope glass and Swarovski for binos. Swaros are great for panning and scanning but Leupold scope is adequate enough for eastern woods hunting.

Good luck with your decision, post what you settled on!

Gumpbuck

All I own is Nikon. My deer rifle has an older Nikon Monarch in (I think) 5.5 x 15 X44. I've been extremely happy with it's performance and light gathering. I mostly hunt woods and rarely take a shot over 130 yards. But at the range, I have used that scope to shoot out to 550 yards with no problem.
There are plenty of good scopes out there. But I don't think you could go wrong with the Nikon Monarch you are thinking about.

Doolydawg03

If you buy good glass in a 3-12 I don't think you will go wrong with this power range I've hunted out west, eastern woods, southern woods I agree with people who have said to keep the low side at the 2-4x range and the high side 10-14x anything on that range will do any thing you need to do on that new cut over but still work in the thick woods. I own leupold 4-12x50 vx-r with the ballsitic Fire dot and love it also have a Meopta meostar 3-12x56 that is my favorite scope by far I own some other nikons and vortex scopes but the Meopta beats them all by far clarity, light gathering it is the best good luck with your choices.

Buckstop

I mostly use a 4.5 x 14 x 50 and a 6.5 x 20 x 50 leupolds. I don't hunt much tight cover so 4.5 goes low enough. Most shots from 100 to 350 yards are taken at 8 to 16 power. The added magnification on the top end is handy on occasion though. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it every shot. I'd recommend a 30mm tube too. It gives a little more brightness at low light.

JohnK

I wouldn't think you'll have much trouble guesstimating within 200 yards of where the deer will show up even with the clear cut.

1776Flintlock

You can reas up on what the eye can handle in the folloeing outline provided by Leupold:

https://www.leupold.com/resources/the-right-scope-for-you/

I patriculary have paid attention to this ratio:

" In most cases, a scope that delivers a 3.5-5mm exit pupil at a comfortable magnification will be more than adequate for most hunts."

Other scope mfgs. May also have a similar outline if you prefer one mgs. Comments over another:flag:

You can reas up on what the eye can handle in the folloeing outline provided by Leupold:

https://www.leupold.com/resources/the-right-scope-for-you/

I patriculary have paid attention to this ratio:

" In most cases, a scope that delivers a 3.5-5mm exit pupil at a comfortable magnification will be more than adequate for most hunts."

Other scope mfgs. May also have a similar outline if you prefer one mgs. Comments over another:flag:

That is very pertinent info, especially for those hunting deer within the 1/2 hr before SR to 1/2 hr after SS parameters. :cool:

To go along with this, my low light comparisons show me that many times I can still see the "target" through the scope well enough, BUT the crosshairs become lost on it (the target) in the very low light. Thus my personal preference for an illuminated reticle.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I shoot out to 1,000 yards with a Vortex PST FFP MOA 6-24 scope, but At anything past 100 yds I use a laser range finder to know what the exact range is. I also have Custom Turret Labels on the elevation turrets so I can dial in the yardage so I only have to hold and shoot using the shooting rail on my stand as a rest.

http://customturretsystems.com

Here are two targets:

One is at 400 yds. with a custom turret and the other is at 1,000 yds. The one at 1,000 yds has 15 shots that would hit in the boiler room of an antelope.

gt40

Attachments

• 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 1000 yd. target .JPG
    1000 yd. target .JPG
    239 KB · Views: 232

1776Flintlock

That is very pertinent info, especially for those hunting deer within the 1/2 hr before SR to 1/2 hr after SS parameters. :cool:

To go along with this, my low light comparisons show me that many times I can still see the "target" through the scope well enough, BUT the crosshairs become lost on it (the target) in the very low light. Thus my personal preference for an illuminated reticle.

You are welcome. Good hunting:yeah::cheers:

southernman13

I've got a Swarovski z6 30mm tube 1.5 x 12 or something like that. Very expensive and a very nice scope. On the low power it's unreal what you can see like in a bottom. On an open field I can't tell much if any difference between it and my sons Swarovski z3 and its half the money. Can't say I'd buy it again if I hadn't already. Mainly because I like hunting the fields in the evening. My eyes aren't what they used to be at over 60 hehe! Also have a Swarovski 3x10 x50 I think this is the best all around of the three for the money. I know they say your eye can only process so much light but I can tell you first hand because I own them the 50mm gathers better light at dark

lonewolf247

Meopta Meopro 4-12x50 with the German #4 or plex, depending on what you like. I have this scope and also a Meopro in 6-18x50, and find it hard to utilize much over 12x many times. This scope can easily be had in the $450 range or less.

My main scope is the Swarovski Habicht 4-12x50, which is the predecessor to the Z3, and both are great scopes, in the $1000 range, but to be honest, for the money, the Meopro doesn't give up much to them.

As far as that power range, I think 4-12x is the best all around, for a variety of hunting conditions. I made a 350 yard shot with that scope this past season, and several in the 200-300 range over the last several years.

I think the Meopta Meopro in 4-12x50 is the best value in the, "under $1000 range", for deer hunting today.

Jim Boyd

Good post, Lonewolf.....

southernman13

That swaro habicht is the one I have in addition to the other two swaro's. They are very good scopes. I hear good things about the meopta scopes as well. It's good to hear it from first hand experience.

ThatredneckguyJamie

For my money its hard to beat Vortex, I have a Vortex viper 4-16x50 on my 300 win mag and I think its perfect...I wanted something for those rare shot opportunities that push the 3-400 yard mark. Around here those are pretty rare but do happen. I'd put the Vortex optics up against some scopes double or even triple the price

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have hunted out west with shots out past 500 to 600 yards and I never needed any more than a 10 power scope

"Aim small, miss small.":cool:

Core Lokt

No matter how big of a scope you have, if you are not practicing at those different long ranges (and grouping well) it won't help any. But what do I know you may be a tack driver out to 1,000.

Knowing where the deer come and go in the cut and getting within 200 may be the answer. Good luck.