Lets talk waders

jigman29

I am in the market for a new pair of waders for early season fishing. I usually don't wear them in hot weather but may start if I can get some decent ones.
I currently have a pair of frog togs and they are ok except the ankle is tight on the stocking foot and it's tough to get off. I have back issues and after a day of fishing I really struggle. I have been researching and have decided to go with the best I can find because of warranties.
At this point I have narrowed it down to the Patagonia or the simms.Both are pricey as can be but seem to be built to last and I hope these will be the last ones I will buy for quite some time.
From what I have read the Patagonia have a lifetime warranty and the simms have a 1 year. But the Simms have a 65 dollar fee for anything after one year if its from abuse or from defects. Not sure if the Patagonia has this or just a Lifetime warranty for factory defect only. I wouldn't xpect the warranty to cover something I did but if I can get the Simms fixed for a flat rate of 65 it may be the better deal in the long run.
So if any of you guys have first hand experience with either of these brands or can recommend another that has been serving you well I would appreciate it.

whitetailfreak

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I have always had good luck with the $100 White River breathables, but it's about time for a new set. I've patched about all I can patch on my current set. Patagonia's liberal activism will keep me from going that route.

Jimmy Harris

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these brands. However, you may want to do more research in that "lifetime" warranty from Patagonia. Not sure if that exists. I have several Patagonia items and they are definitely long lasting (Like a shirt I've had for maybe 30 years and it's still in great shape). Just for more comparison information you may be interested to know that Patagonia waders are a knock-off of Gore Tex while Simms waders are made with genuine Gore Tex. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that one is and one ain't. The other thing about Simms Gore Tex waders is that they are all made in Bozeman, MT. All Patagonia waders are made overseas. I've owned, and worn out, a lot of waders in my life. Simms has always set the bar for quality. Having said that, there are some new waders on the market now (all imported) that are darn good for considerably less money. Orvis Silver Sonics and Redington Sonic Pros both have the sonic sealed seams that are a tremendous advancement in construction. They just do not leak like sewn waders may. Just some thoughts for you before making a big decision.

TheTroutWhisperer

Its a crap shoot when buying waders I think. Search around and look for the most bang for the buck. I have had a pair of Patagonia Rio Gallegos for a couple of years now and they are good so far but note these are pretty heavy thick waders mostly for colder water and climates. I spend a lot of hours in the river and they are holding up. Simms in my opinion are a little big for their britches I think... about 6 years ago I bought some G3 and they started leaking after 13 months at the calf seams. They wanted 60 bucks to repair them plus shipping costs.. that was it for Simms..might be a tough time to get a good deal on a pair of waders this time of the year. Good luck!

TheTroutWhisperer

Oh yeah, and I agree to with another post. I don't care for Patagonia's recent political views either. They've seen the last of my money.

jigman29

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these brands. However, you may want to do more research in that "lifetime" warranty from Patagonia. Not sure if that exists. I have several Patagonia items and they are definitely long lasting (Like a shirt I've had for maybe 30 years and it's still in great shape). Just for more comparison information you may be interested to know that Patagonia waders are a knock-off of Gore Tex while Simms waders are made with genuine Gore Tex. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that one is and one ain't. The other thing about Simms Gore Tex waders is that they are all made in Bozeman, MT. All Patagonia waders are made overseas. I've owned, and worn out, a lot of waders in my life. Simms has always set the bar for quality. Having said that, there are some new waders on the market now (all imported) that are darn good for considerably less money. Orvis Silver Sonics and Redington Sonic Pros both have the sonic sealed seams that are a tremendous advancement in construction. They just do not leak like sewn waders may. Just some thoughts for you before making a big decision.

The lifetime warranty is rarely that. Especially when it comes to normal wear and tear. I wouldn't expect that for the most part. I read on several of the forums of guys taking Patagonia waders to the store to have them shipped and them trading them on the spot for new ones. But I cant even find a place close that carries the waders so I will more than likely be looking at the simms over the rest. Especially considering they are made in the U.S.A. That goes a long way with me. Getting harder to find that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cabelas has the best waders for the buck that I've used.

BeefMaster

I have had a pair of White River waders for going on 5 years now and they have served me very well. I am surprised at how tough they actually have been as they have seen a fair amount of abuse. My wife found a pair of Gore Tex Simms waders 2 years ago during Cohutta Fishing Companies Black Friday sale for CHEAP and snagged em for me. They are very nice in fit and breath-ability but until I have a failure in the White Rivers I'll keep the Simms in the box and save them for later.

In accord with what NCHillbilly said, I have friends who have had good success with Cabelas' waders (I love their waterfowl waders). I don't think you could go wrong with any of these three.

jigman29

I like a lot of Cabelas stuff I have bought. But with the recent buyout by Bass Pro I am leery of anything from them now. I have never tried their waders but I bought a pair of their wading boots that I wouldn't give a plug nickel for. But other than that most have been positives

Michael F Sights

I bought a pair of Cabela's breathable w boots as a combo about 2 years ago. Cost $179 I think & boots have felt plus removable studs. I've had good luck with their waders but the boots are suspect, not because of quality, walking on dry land w/ them is horrible, not too bad in the water though.
Some of the prices for fly fishing gear are more than a decent rifle these days!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anything has changed with Cabelas so far. I've got a pair of Cabelas waders that are 15 years old and never leaked a drop. Also got some Cabelas wading boots that are on their third year, and I've walked hundreds of miles in them. I really like them.

The mtn man

Yes, I have a pair of cabelas waist waders. I've had them for a couple years and can't complain, I think they were in the $120 range.

Meriwether Mike

I love my Simms waders!

Get a pair of Simms waders and you never have to feel like you made the wrong choice. I have a pair of Freestones that have been replaced once under warranty after several years of use. I have the Freestones for my back up set. I liked Simms service so much I bought the G3 Guide Waders for my last set. Simms sets the dealer prices so you can buy them from anywhere and know you are getting them at the right price. You can get a discount sometimes at the end of the season or if a new model is coming out if you can wait. I would recommend you go over to Unicoi Outfitters and try a pair!

Scotsman

I have had good luck with the same Simms waders for the last 15 years or so. Good stuff.

jigman29

After reading online till my eyes are hurting I think the cocensus is leaning heavily towards the simms. I am goint o try them and the Patagonias on and see about the fit on a fat man and go from there.

jigman29

I decided to call Patagonia today and ask
Point blank about the warranty. The lady on the phone said all
Patagonia products have a life of product guarantee. And I feel I ship it to them they replace or repair and return it. I ask about non factory defects such as a rip from a stick. She said she has worked there ten years and has never seen a repair charge. She said the only thing I would be charged for is an alteration such as a boogie or inseam change to a different size. So that beats Simms $65.00 flat repair fee. All that's left is to try some on.

Meriwether Mike

I have had two pair of Simms waders replaced under warranty and I only paid the return shipping both times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had to have Cabelas waders replaced under warranty, just sayin.