Brook trout fishing?

How could you find your own brook trout creek? Most do say with a topo map but I want to know the specifics of finding them, like what to look for when searching with a map. And what baits should u use for these trout, with either fly or spinning rod?

The mtn man

Find a remote stream, mostly 3,000ft or above in elevation, with a series of waterfalls, go above falls and see what's there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What he said^. As for catching them, I don't see why you would use anything but a fly rod. Many of the creeks they live in could almost be soaked up with a good dry shamwow. :)

The mtn man

I have my Dad's mounted brookie from the 80's, around 5lbs, he caught it outta the upper Hooch below Helen.

State record? I think the nc record for a wild brook was around 13" for years.

Tentwing

A pic of that Brookie would be awesome. That is a monster Brook trout. If I remember right the Georgia state record is 5 lb and 10 oz.

The mtn man

Do they make a distinction for "wild" fish vs hatchery supported?

They use to. I'm not sure if the two are separated now. When I was about 15 years old, i was fishing with a buddy over my way, he caught one 13 1/2". At the time, i think it was maybe a fraction of an inch shorter than the record. I haven't looked at the records in several years, nc had two trout categories, the wild fish, and hatchery, i think the dough belly record was around 5 lbs.

The mtn man

I just looked it up, they do not differentiate anymore, it only says the record is 7lb 7oz. Now we all know that brook trout didn't come out of palmer creek. Haha

JonathanG2013

Just looked it up.

The Georgia brook trout record was caught in 1986 at 5 pounds 10 ounces. Caught in Waters Creek.

Wonder if the one your dad caught was bigger?

The mtn man

Just looked it up.

The Georgia brook trout record was caught in 1986 at 5 pounds 10 ounces. Caught in Waters Creek.

Wonder if the one your dad caught was bigger?

I remember when I was growing up, waters creek having some huge trout down by the first bridge, a guy that lived there fed them, we would throw rocks in the hole and those behemoth trout would snatched the rocks before they hit the bottom they were so hungry. I think he had a sign that said something to the effect that he would shoot anyone that fished there.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I remember when I was growing up, waters creek having some huge trout down by the first bridge, a guy that lived there fed them, we would throw rocks in the hole and those behemoth trout would snatched the rocks before they hit the bottom they were so hungry. I think he had a sign that said something to the effect that he would shoot anyone that fished there.

That's not Waters Creek, that's Dick's Creek, but yes there used too be some big fish in there and yes that guy would shoot a gun if he thought someone was in his creek. lol. For some reason a lot of people call that entire area Waters Creek. Waters Creek is a small stream that pours into Dick's just above the falls there. It is supposed to be the "premier" public trophy stream in the state. Back in the 80's and 90's there were some GIANTS in there now it is a shell of what it used to be. If the brook trout from above was caught below Helen it's not a true "brookie" as we call them. A great fish non the less, but not the same as a true native fish. Hillbilly I catch them all the time on a small 5ft spinning outfit, I like the flyrod, but prefer the spinning set up in those tight spots.

whitetailfreak

The Southern Appalachian Brook Trout south of the New River in VA are genetically different from their northern cousins. The planted Brookies that are stocked in local streams are of the northern variety and can't be compared to the pure southern strain Spec. It's apples to oranges.

Last edited:

whitetailfreak

With that being said, the stockers sure are fun to catch.:cheers:

Attachments

• _20170623_203521.jpg
    _20170623_203521.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 635

lampern

The state of GA quit stocking brook trout in the mid 1990s.

However the Feds do throw a few out on occasion and SC stocks them in the Chattooga.

I'm gonna say the GA brook trout record will be very hard to break if ever.

Buckman18

If GA kept ladies records, I'd say my wife would give it a good run for the money on a SABT with this 14 incher she caught in Dec 2014. She was 7.5 months pregnant btw crawling through those thickets... Obviously I put a piece of tape on the creek name...

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Now that's a big speck ^^^^^^^

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Southern Appalachian Brook Trout south of the New River in VA are genetically different from their northern cousins. The planted Brookies that are stocked in local streams are of the northern variety and can't be compared to the pure southern strain Spec. It's apples to oranges.

Yep, the stocked northern strain brooks are a totally different fish. I caught an 18"-er last weekend that probably weighed three pounds. I would rate it considerably below catching a 7" native speck. It did make a nice tasty tikin xic. :)

Attachments

• tikken-xic.jpg
    tikken-xic.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 588
  • tikken-xic2.jpg
    tikken-xic2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 583

glue bunny

My daddy caught a 3 1/2 lb. Brook trout on the hooche opening day of trout season back in the late 70's at Jones bridge. It was 16 inches long. He had to quit fishing that morning because so many folks wanted to see it. He caught it on the bank fishing with corn. It's hanging on the wall at my mama's.