A new journey

AllAmerican

Then Ethan and I went for a long walk looking for more arrow material. 200 yards into the woods we jumped a good sized deer, and we thought that was a good sign. We practiced our squirrel stalking a little bit too. It's funny how close you can get to them this time of year when they're off limits.:bounce:

Finding shoots the right size and shape for arrows is tough. Or maybe I need to look somewhere else. We did find a few sourwood shoots that look promising. I also found some of these leafy ones . I've seen this stuff all my life but don't know what it is. Anybody know?

That is called Privet, Ligustrum (ornamental used for green screening and hedges) is a bigger leafed variety of Privet. That one is an Invasive species of GA along with many others.

It grows everywhere and you will have an endless supply of arrows. It's an oval shaped leaf plant. You can completely remove it and it's roots will sprout a forest of them. Really hard to get rid of them and control them.

Todd Cook

That is called Privet, Ligustrum (ornamental used for green screening and hedges) is a bigger leafed variety of Privet. That one is an Invasive species of GA along with many others.

It grows everywhere and you will have an endless supply of arrows. It's an oval shaped leaf plant. You can completely remove it and it's roots will sprout a forest of them. Really hard to get rid of them and control them.

Interesting. I'm familiar with the privet hedge that has the smaller leaves. It's Chinese I think. Makes tough arrows though.

Todd Cook

I had another package when I got home today. An Avid Archer sent me some cane, some sinew and some hide glue. You folks are incredible. I've never been around such generous people. Thank you Seth.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 183

Todd Cook

He also sent me something else. I hope he doesn't mind me bragging on him, but these need to be seen. I don't know how to knapp(yet- I'm gonna talk him into teaching me at Appling I hope). But I've been around several folks that do. Many of them have been flint knapping longer than this young man has been alive. But I've never seen better work than these. They are as sharp as they are beautiful. A true gift.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 184

AnAvidArcher

Glad you got the package safely. I didnt want anything to arrive broken so I was sure to pack it tight, as I'm sure you saw when you opened it, lol.

I'll be more than happy to sit down with you Memorial Day Weekend, even though there are many that will be much more experienced than I. I hope see a picture later this year of a hog or deer with one of those points stickin in it. Best of luck on your journey, it is for sure something you will never forget.

longbowdave1

Todd, very nice bow that you made, and the Trade Points look great as well!

Todd Cook

Thanks everyone for all the comments and support. I'm having fun with this.

I made some more poplar arrows this week; I've got 5 finished. I tell you what, making them from scratch is a lot of work! Including point and feathers, I've got 3 between 655-670 grains, and 2 between 620-630. I'm not sure how I did that; they're from the same board. ?? I guess I'll have to make a dozen or so and see which ones shoot the same.

I also made a cane arrow with a ebony foreshaft . Point and all it weighs 620. It flies ok but hits lower than the poplar.??

I've got a ways to go with my shooting. The change in arrow speed and shooting style is coming around but will take work. I'm liking the split finger, but I'm not shooting as good as I would like. I'll shoot one in the middle and then throw one a little. I guess my deer range is about 12 yards right now. But I'll get there.

Barry Duggan

Remember what Adrian told Rocky, when he was getting the k-rap beat out of him...you can do it. He did, and you can too.:D

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
This is a great thread. Can wait to see how it all plays out in huntin season!

pine nut

Wishing you good luck and I'm positive you can do it. I will enjoy watching your progress. May you inspire us all!

Todd Cook

This arrow making thing has a learning curve to it! I've been shooting a good bit and just wasn't happy with it. I've been experimenting with different things and that's not the best way to shoot groups! A couple of the arrows seem to always fly better than the others, so I decided to find out why.

I know that arrow spine has more to do with it than anything, but I don't have a spine tester. I've always bought shafts and trusted whoever they came from to be right. Well, I've got one now!

All spine is is how much a shaft deflects. AMO standards says suspend a 2 pound weight from a shaft setting on pins 26" apart and measure the deflection. How hard could that be?

So I took a 3 foot board and made 2 marks 26" apart. I drilled 2 holes and installed 2 eye hooks.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 264

Todd Cook

Then I mounted a set of calipers with a dial indicator half way between.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 268

Todd Cook

Now I needed a exactly 2 pound weight. Well, I didn't have one. I knew I wanted something to hang from the shaft, so I took an old steel can with the top cut off and filled it with some of the lead roundballs I cast for my muzzleloader. I put the hook in with it and added lead till exactly 2 pounds. Then I used a torch to melt the hook into the lead.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 263

Todd Cook

I had to adjust the wood block and cut some off for clearance. Then I took a fir shaft that I knew was 65-70 pounds and used it for my test. I had already printed off a deflection chart from AMO. It read 65 pounds.:fine:

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 260

Todd Cook

The arrows I had made spined from 39 to 63 pounds. No wonder I've had grouping problems!

This is the one I'm trying to duplicate. 30&1/2" back of point, 43 pound spine, 525 grains. Flies like a dart.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 253

Clipper

You are welcome to borrow my DIY spine tester if you like. I can read it accurate to +-1 lb and won't be needing it until I build my next batch of wood arrows. I could bring it with me when I pick up my bow.

Attachments

• Spine Tester.jpg
    Spine Tester.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 241

Todd Cook

I'll try to have an update soon. All this makin a livin stuff gets in the way of my fun. I have a question though. Have any of you hunted much with a plains style quiver? I think that's what I want to make, just not sure how well they work.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
Very good job on the spine tester.

Last edited: