Opinions...please

RipperIII

I primarily hunt a large timber lease in Butts co. Ga.
1240acres
It's been thinned and cut twice over the past 10 yrs, the last thinning having taken place 3 years ago.
The hardwoods are almost exclusively riparian areas along the creeks and seasonal ditches.
Lots of transitional areas, a few food plots and significant acorns/mast.
But we don't tend to have the size deer that you guys often post all those wonderful pictures that I see each year.
We have a 120" minimum...and I've taken 4 bucks in that range over 14 years.
6 bucks have been taken that range from 130-140" over that period, and several others that were a little less than 120".
We average about 6 does per season.
I've hunted private land with more big woods and some crop fields and have seen some big deer.
My questions are:
1) do you need crop land to produce the bigger bucks
2) do you find it more challenging to hunt timber leases than big woods or crop fields
I love seeing ya'lls pics of those big bucks.
I was wondering if the available nutrition on a timber lease was insufficient for the bigger bucks.
Just curious, thanks.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Anything over 130 in our part of the state is about the equivalent of a man over 6foot 8 inches tall. Just not in the genes to be an every other hunt occurrence. I've seen pleces in Ga with ag fields that had a bunch of dinks. I've seen old cutover wood lots on cattle farms that'll produce a 140 plus every yr. You really just have to temper your expectations for your bucks as to the area and the history it has of producing. If you want a good shot at a 140 or higher, head north and west

RipperIII

I'm far from an expert on this stuff but I do know that if you want big bucks down here two things you have to have is genetics and age.
Yep, I absolutely agree on both counts.
We seem to have 2 distinct gene lines...and I am only guessing on this.
We have a preponderance of either tall tined tight 8's or wide short tined 10's...with a little variance in between...and as far as age, mostly 3.5 and younger...we don't shoot many...but I'm sure that our neighbors probably do.
Not any Ag around us, at least not for a couple of miles so I was wondering if the bigger older bucks migrated toward food.

Sixes

IMO, you would be better off doing away with a minimum score and just target bucks of older age.

As mentioned earlier, genetics and age bring in the highest scoring bucks and in reality, you need both to accomplish your goal and maybe 1 in 5 bucks will have the combo.

I know what you are saying about some of the bucks posted, but it is a rare member on here that posts 130+ bucks every year. Most scores you see posted will be not only high, but bucks that the hunter only kills once every few years or their personal best.

B. White

Anything over 130 in our part of the state is about the equivalent of a man over 6foot 8 inches tall. Just not in the genes to be an every other hunt occurrence. I've seen pleces in Ga with ag fields that had a bunch of dinks. I've seen old cutover wood lots on cattle farms that'll produce a 140 plus every yr. You really just have to temper your expectations for your bucks as to the area and the history it has of producing. If you want a good shot at a 140 or higher, head north and west

Yep, I've hunted parts of Monroe county and several surrounding areas since '78 and will take one in the upper 130s all day long.

Philnlucky

Agree that it takes genetics and age/maturity, plus abundent food and cover, and good buck/doe ratio. Also low hunting pressure and cooperation from surrounding property owners.
Grandaddy can't resist this opportunity to post another picture of grandson's 5.5 yr old buck from this year that green scored 146. :D

Attachments

• 15147.jpeg
    15147.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

RipperIII

Agree that it takes genetics and age/maturity, plus abundent food and cover, and good buck/doe ratio. Also low hunting pressure and cooperation from surrounding property owners.
Grandaddy can't resist this opportunity to post another picture of grandson's 5.5 yr old buck from this year that green scored 146. :D
Dang that's a nice one!

WishboneW

Might try supplemental protein feed coupled with clover plots.

Even so it still takes genetics and age.

DNR has varying levels of management assistance. You may want to avail yourself of their expertise

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Gotta be age. I hunt and have been hunting in the middle of ag country in a QDM county for years. I have seen more bucks this year than I ever have and a large majority of them have been 2-3 years old. I’ve seen two approaching 120 and one 8 point that would go over 130. The 130” is at least 4 and likely 5 years old. Big bucks are killed here in Dooly every year, but they’re not behind every tree for sure.

leesmith

I primarily hunt a large timber lease in Butts co. Ga.
1240acres
It's been thinned and cut twice over the past 10 yrs, the last thinning having taken place 3 years ago.
The hardwoods are almost exclusively riparian areas along the creeks and seasonal ditches.
Lots of transitional areas, a few food plots and significant acorns/mast.
But we don't tend to have the size deer that you guys often post all those wonderful pictures that I see each year.
We have a 120" minimum...and I've taken 4 bucks in that range over 14 years.
6 bucks have been taken that range from 130-140" over that period, and several others that were a little less than 120".
We average about 6 does per season.
I've hunted private land with more big woods and some crop fields and have seen some big deer.
My questions are:
1) do you need crop land to produce the bigger bucks
2) do you find it more challenging to hunt timber leases than big woods or crop fields
I love seeing ya'lls pics of those big bucks.
I was wondering if the available nutrition on a timber lease was insufficient for the bigger bucks.
Just curious, thanks.
6 Bucks in the 130-140 range , several around 120 sounds pretty good to me for the area. That's is pretty decent deer hunting. Doubtful you gonna get many 155" + out of Butt co.
Not saying it's not possible, just few and farrrr between.

specialk

Yep, I absolutely agree on both counts.
We seem to have 2 distinct gene lines...and I am only guessing on this.
We have a preponderance of either tall tined tight 8's or wide short tined 10's...with a little variance in between...and as far as age, mostly 3.5 and younger...we don't shoot many...but I'm sure that our neighbors probably do.
Not any Ag around us, at least not for a couple of miles so I was wondering if the bigger older bucks migrated toward food.

exact word for word for us, not far from you...we dont have as many acres but no large clubs either....

Timberbeast

I do not disagree with genes or age at all. I also like to add in the “dirt”. More specifically, the composition of that dirt and nutritional availability. In some ways The fertility can be altered on small scales (foodplots-with fertilizer and ideal pH), but the small scale may not move the needle much in average deer size. On a large scale, this would be costly for just hunting purposes. Heavy agricultural areas are treating large areas, and the needle can be moved easier.
I believe often the dirt is as much the limiting factor as anything else (if the goal is antler size).
A similar example that comes to mind for those that have planted pine trees: I can go out and buy enhanced genetic pine trees, but if I do not address potential limiting factors such as fertilization or weed control, those enhanced genetics may not be realized.

Age and genetics certainly are very major factors as well.