School me on suppressors

lonesome dove

I've shot a supressed .22. It was really quiet. I was wondering how quiet a .223 supressed is? How quiet would a .22 bolt be running it through the .223 supressor?

wareagle700

A 22lr, especially subsonics, are very quiet with just about any suppressor. A .223 or other centerfire round through a good suppressor is hearing safe but you will still hear the supersonic crack, which sounds about like a .22lr rifle. Not something you would want to shoot all day without hearing protection but not going to hurt anything in just a few shots.

You really don't want to shoot any significant volume of rimfire ammo through a centerfire can though. Most rimfire cans can be taken apart for cleaning whereas centerfire cans are usually sealed or at least the baffle stack is. The lead fouling builds up over time with 22's and needs to be cleaned out periodically for best results. Rimfire cans are relatively inexpensive so its a good idea to have a dedicated rimfire suppressor rather than searching for a do-it-all can from the start.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
My neighbor has a CVA break open single shot in .45 acp with a suppressor built around the whole length of the 22" barrel. It is so quiet that the only thing you hear standing next to it is the hammer going "CLICK" and the bullet hitting the ground. It is actually silent and very accurate.

gt40

Dub

I've very limited experience shooting suppressed guns and seen dramatically different results with them.

The ones that were most impressive were the low velocity stuff like 9mm & 45acp. A buddy has .22lr pistol that was impressive as well as a .300Blackout rifle.

There seems to be a wide range of performance from different brands of suppressors.

Likely you'll not be schooled enough in a thread like this. It's expensive and there is considerable wait time. I'd do some solid research and ensure I was getting what I wanted.

Good luck.

deast1988

Suppressors try to mask the sonic boom,

You asked if a .22lr would work in a .223 it would sand exit diameter is .22!

I haven't seen any manufacturer offer a can that's centerfire approved take rimfire.

Cans over time build up deposits of carbon unburnt powder. This deteriorates noise cancelling qualities.

Reason why most all .22lr cans break apart An allow for sonic cleaning.

If u want a Rimfire can it's in the you need a rim fire can. Suppressors are fairly expensive based on make An model, I wouldn't want to compromise a high dollar can running the cheapest .22 through it anyway.

I got as follows,

22lr can for rimfire rifles An pistols.
Dedicated 9mm can, rated to super sonic .300Blackout.
.45ACP handles most all centerfire pistols up to .45ACP
.30 can rated for .223-300win mag.

My .30cal can has an exit diameter of .30, when I fire .223 through it the .07 allows extra Air this intern means more noise.

The quietest cans are caliber specific, such as a 5.56can that strictly is limitied to 5.56.

I was told, speed influences the noise the most. Faster more sonic boom harder to quiet.

.45ACP even hot loads don't shoot super fast it's perhaps the funniest round to run on a pistol. IMO

Another example would be a 30/30 Suppressed running 2300fps vs a .300win Mag running 3400fps. The suppressor can handle both but the 30/30 will be much more pleasent on your ears.

scott stokes

I have loaded some friends ammo for suppressors.until then had no experience with them.i finally purchased one myself and man it’s addictive.
I went to chestatee firearms in Dahlonega and talked to them they build there own at good price.They will answer any questions you have.i having them build one specific for my single shot .44mag pistol (contender).14” barrel.
I also purchased a .300blackout bolt gun to hunt with under 200 yards and even with supersonic rounds it’s not too loud.

Kanook

I've shot a supressed .22. It was really quiet. I was wondering how quiet a .223 supressed is? How quiet would a .22 bolt be running it through the .223 supressor?
No mention of what type of .22, so I will answer Yes.
Here is why, A sub-sonic 22LR and a .223 sub-sonic are both a .22 bullet traveling under the speed of sound so there will be no sonic crack. Both will be shot from a bolt action so there is no moving parts, so it will be quite.

Kanook

Suppressors try to mask the sonic boom, Silencer contain the "muzzle blast" and can nothing for the sonic boom.

You asked if a .22lr would work in a .223 it would sand exit diameter is .22! The exit diameter of a .22 can is .280

I haven't seen any manufacturer offer a can that's centerfire approved take rimfire. Any centerfire that can be taken apart is safe for .22LR

Cans over time build up deposits of carbon unburnt powder. This deteriorates noise cancelling qualities. Some carbon build up is a good thing,
it helps disrupt the gasses contained in the silencer

Reason why most all .22lr cans break apart An allow for sonic cleaning. Do not sonic clean a Silencer until you find out it is built for it. Not all metals/finish's are sonic safe

If u want a Rimfire can it's in the you need a rim fire can. Suppressors are fairly expensive based on make An model, I wouldn't want to compromise a high dollar can running the cheapest .22 through it anyway. Again ,it depends on whether the silencer can be taken apart or not

I got as follows,

22lr can for rimfire rifles An pistols. Me too, although some can handle up to 5.7x28
Dedicated 9mm can, rated to super sonic .300Blackout. some can handle up to .300 winmag "Liberty Mystic X"
.45ACP handles most all centerfire pistols up to .45ACP That is my next purchase, although the one I'm looking at with handle the .454 also
.30 can rated for .223-300win mag. This is my only "sealed" silencer.
All my others can be taken apart for cleaning since I shoot mostly cast bullets

My .30cal can has an exit diameter of .30, when I fire .223 through it the .07 allows extra Air this intern means more noise. Your .30 cal silencer should have atleast an exit of .350 to allow the bullet to pass thru. There are silencers out there with end caps that can be changed, but most say the db changed is negligible

The quietest cans are caliber specific, such as a 5.56can that strictly is limitied to 5.56. Yes,
for optimum performance, use what the silencer whas built for, although since we all hear things different,
only You can decide what sounds best for You.

I was told, speed influences the noise the most. Faster more sonic boom harder to quiet. Speed, Surroundings, Temperature, Height above sea level, Bullet shape

.45ACP even hot loads don't shoot super fast it's perhaps the funniest round to run on a pistol. IMO Yup, sub-sonic .45 are a ton of fun

Another example would be a 30/30 Suppressed running 2300fps vs a .300win Mag running 3400fps. The suppressor can handle both but the 30/30 will be much more pleasent on your ears.
Hope this helps some. :cool:

As you know there is a huge learning curve when using silencers