7.62 Suppressor

B. White

I have a question I think I know the answer to, but would like opinions from folks who have, or are around others who shoot supressed supersonics. My only interest is to quiet it down for shooting at coyotes near the house after deer season. I have max of about 250 yd shots and it is fairly open, so noise travels well. I have a 22lr suppressor that works very well and I can use it, but I have another place I hunt that is 400+yds, so if I hunt both I would be swapping the NV scope back and forth between rifles.

Do you feel there was enough real noise reduction to be worth the money you spent? I would be using on 6.5grendel primarily, but have a few others that could get use as well. Not interested in subsonic. It is a lot of expense just to be a good neighbor for an occasional shot. When I bought the 22lr suppressor the owner of the place sells a lot and he sounded a little disappointed with his results on centerfires. There is one public range about 30 mins away, but I've not seen anyone shooting suppressed there.

SC Hunter

When shooting supersonic rounds even through a suppressor you still have the "crack" from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. It quiets it down up front but their not movie quiet unless you shoot subs out of it. I can't find a downside to owning a suppressor in centerfire and rimfire. I try to be a good neighbor but my neighbors know I like to shoot so we shoot together.

Offroadtek

I say it is a good purchase. The bullet crack is higher pitched than the boom of the barrel. The crack doesn't make it very far in the woods. And you probably won't hear it in a house. The boom however will travel miles and shake walls if your close enough to a house.

Suppressors are one of those things that you may get for one gun or spot, but you'll end up never shooting without it.

rosewood

One thing many don't know. The boom of the explosion is the burning/escaping gases breaking the sound barrier. The muffler slows it down to subsonic before the gas leaves the suppressor.

Rosewood

bullgator

I’m not sure I totally understand what you want. Are you trying to be neighbor friendly or are you hoping to be quiet enough that the other yotes don’t run off after the first shot. In neither case will you get that with supersonic ammo. If you just want to reduce to hearing safe, it will bring it down to the level of having foam earplugs in.

menhadenman

I have a Liberty Mystic X on a 6.5 Grendel that the kids and I hunt with using supersonic loads. It quiets it down quite a bit (maybe 22 LR sound) and also confuses the animals on where it's coming from. It also helps with the kids in not developing bad habits from muzzle blast. The LMX is a good entry level can and might be worth checking out.

FlipKing

.308 is around 165db. Most supressors will reduce that by 25-35 dB. It will reduce it to "close" to hearing safe. 1 shot? Probably okay. Range day? Probably still need hearing protection.

ditchdoc24

I bought a 7.62 suppressor for noise reduction while doing night time hog control near my mother-in-law's house. It works well and I can shoot hogs while standing 30 yards behind her house and it never wakes her up. I'm shooting .308 supers out of an AR-10. I still wear electronic hearing protection but it does a good job of not disturbing the neighbors.

B. White

I bought a 7.62 suppressor for noise reduction while doing night time hog control near my mother-in-law's house. It works well and I can shoot hogs while standing 30 yards behind her house and it never wakes her up. I'm shooting .308 supers out of an AR-10. I still wear electronic hearing protection but it does a good job of not disturbing the neighbors.

What your doing is about all I would be trying to accomplish. A crack is fine, as long as the echoing boom is gone to not shake windows a few hundred yards away, or have them worried about it bothering horses or other critters. I'm not worried about it being quite enough for ear protection.

So far I haven't seen any buyer's remorse posted from anyone, which is what I was curious about. I know it will be no where close to my Sparrow on the 22, but didn't know if anyone feels like it wasn't worth it.

longrangedog

The reason you don't see suppressors on public ranges is that others shooting not suppressed put you in the position of needing good hearing protection. I have a .22 suppressor and find it useful, especially with subsonic ammo. The loudest noise with my 10-22 is the noise made by the bolt cycling. My opinion on centerfire suppressors is that the minimal reduction in noise using standard velocity ammo isn't enough to justify the cost and aggravation of owning one.

Ajohnson0587

It's not going to quiet the round down enough that your neighbors won't notice. If you're wanting it for hunting coyotes, I would just buy or load some sub's and re-sight in the rifle. I strictly bow hunt in residential neighborhoods and 2yrs ago a neighborhood I hunt in Conyers was getting their large dogs attacked and several other small dogs and cats were killed by a pack of 6 coyotes. A neighbor that had denied me permission to hunt her property previously asked me if I would kill them because they killed 2 of her cats and attacked her Lab. She lived on the corner of the power line giving me line of sight down the entire power line where the coyotes had a den. One evening after killing 2 of the 6, I was loading up my truck and someone called the cop's. They were waiting for me at the truck, I explained what happened and that I had signed written permission to hunt the property's, after a 20min conversation they let me go on my way. The next week I loaded up some sub's re-sighted the rifle and killed the remaining coyotes over the next 2 weeks without anyone knowing I was there. There's a big misconception when it comes to suppressor's and hi-power center fire rifles ,especially when it comes to .30cal cartridges. If you want them QUIET shoot sub's if possible.

Last edited: