Odd odor hot water heater

hiawassee1

Started a week or so ago noticed outside first but now strong inside only when hot water heater exhaust fan is running. Any ideas, not the normal propane burn off exhaust smell?

Thanks J.R.

NOYDB

BANNED
A hot water heater has a pressure relief valve. They can go bad and start to allow a very slow leak out the relief drain. Preventative maintenance is to release the pressure for a few seconds once a month. If you have a leaking relief valve, where it releases water can build up mildew and cause a smell. Your exhaust fan can be moving the odor to where you can smell it.

If it just started. Monitor it more often to isolate source. Then make indicated repairs.

sinclair1

I have no clue, but I suggest a carbon monoxide and gas detector asap if you plan on staying there tonight.:cheers:

Cmp1

BANNED
When the inducer motor is running, check your flame pattern,,,, the inducer motor only runs on a call for hot h2o,,,, could be the inducer motor going bad also,,,, the motor induces the exhaust gasses outside,,,,if the motor is going bad, you won't be getting proper combustion,,,, any noises from the motor?,,,, Can't smell carbon monoxide,,,, but you can smell incomplete combustion,,,,

Last edited:

jeardley

If its a sulfur smell you should get the odor from the hot and cold water when running. I'd check what cmp stated as all the water is in a closed system (unless you gotta leak).

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
This,,,, if you can get it out,,,,

takes a 1 1/8 socket and a cheater pipe on your wrench. use the anode rod opening and a funnel to add bleach. replace anode rod. drain the heater. refill it, run hot water in the tub a while to cycle rinse water through the tank. then bump the thermostats up higher. there's a temperature range that bacteria lives in. they say if you bump up the thermostat, give it a clean slate, the bacteria wont take hold.