South Chickamauga Creek

GA BASS ODYSSEY

South Chickamauga Creek. Anybody fished this creek near Graysville? Wondering if this area has Spotted Bass or any bass at all? What other fish people may be catching there?

gunnurse

I fish there frequently. You can put in at the Graysville Dam and paddle upstream for a long way. There are several species of bass in the creek. The biggest redeye that I've ever caught was behind Ingles in Ringgold.

GA BASS ODYSSEY

I fish there frequently. You can put in at the Graysville Dam and paddle upstream for a long way. There are several species of bass in the creek. The biggest redeye that I've ever caught was behind Ingles in Ringgold.

Just was wondering as I have a friend moving to that Area. He likes to fish the Lakes in the area but I love river, spring and creek fishing. That Red-eye intrigues me. Would be interesting to know what subspecies it is. I love catching those. Didn't expect to here of those in there. When I get up that way I will bring my jon boat as the area above Graysville Dam sounds okay.

ShoalBandit

South Chickamauga Creek. Anybody fished this creek near Graysville? Wondering if this area has Spotted Bass or any bass at all? What other fish people may be catching there?
I fished it back in December closer to Ringgold. I was after real Spotted Bass (Micropterus punctulatus) but caught several hybrid black bass unfortunately. That's because some individual(s) illegally introduced Redeye Bass (Micropterus coosae) from the Coosa River drainage at some point.

South Chickamauga Creek is part of the Tennessee drainage so only Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Spotted Bass are native. True Redeye Bass (Micropterus coosae) are native only to the Coosa River drainage along with Largemouth Bass and Alabama Bass (which most anglers still call 'spotted bass'). While hybridization between native Smallmouth and Spotted Bass does happen ('meanmouth') it's kind of rare compared to what happens when nonnative species are introduced. Not only is widespread hybridization common but the offspring are fertile so they can wipe out entire populations. That's because black bass can produce thousands of offspring when they spawn. Native species like Smallmouth and Spotted that spawn with these hybrids are only producing more hybrids so over time you end up with a stream full of hybrids. A few hybrids might superficially resemble species but someday there will be no real Smallmouth or Spotted Bass in this creek.

These fish resemble Spotted Bass but have white fin margins and a white-silver crescent around the back of the eye like Redeye Bass. Second dorsal, anal, and caudal fin color also more like Redeye Bass.
39749761662_e78174c5e4_b.jpg

39749760812_dcf903d23a_b.jpg

Here's another hybrid with white fin margins...
39749762892_8b7b49be09_b.jpg

And another one...
39749762142_47ff206820_b.jpg

Not sure about the ID of these fish...it would be a waste of time to guess but this could be the sad future we're headed for.
39749757992_d9cf8940c4_b.jpg

39749758482_3a97bf2e5e_b.jpg

39749758752_de1bba95e8_b.jpg

These could be a real Spotted Bass...genetic confirmation would be the only way to really know.
39749759812_8282fe0de4_b.jpg

39749757622_3c3b61f9a9_b.jpg

In case anyone is wondering how this happened (or continues to happen) check out the video below. Before the fishing tackle industry grew to what it is today fishing with live bait was far more common than it is today. Redeye Bass were illegally introduced (as bait or 'minners') to South Chickamauga Creek from a nearby Chattooga and/or Conasauga River tributary.

The same thing has happened to Town Creek near Geraldine, AL. Redeye Bass from Big Wills Creek (Coosa drainage) were illegally introduced to Town Creek (Tennessee drainage about 10 miles away) leading to widespread hybridization with native Smallmouth and Spotted Bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_Erl3j8Yc

Andy O

Shoal Bandit, I could read your posts almost endlessly. As my Dad used to say you've probably forgotten more about the subject than most will ever know!