Beautiful day in the swamp

Bream Pole

rode into the swamp yesterday. Nothing stirring. Saw one turtle and a great grey heron. Wanted to look at this lake and make sure could slide kayak or 10 foot jon boat into water. Can't see it from where I was at but lake opens up and in a few days I intend to fish it.

Attachments

• IMG_2381 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2381 (Small).JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 1,268
  • IMG_2382 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2382 (Small).JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,268

ThomasCobb123

Good plan to go ahead and fish it now.
When springtime comes and the leaves start getting on the trees, it looks like cottonmouth city to me.
No fishing is worth that to me...just don't have the nerves anymore.
I bet it's loaded with fish though.
Get 'em!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like there might be a warmouth or two in there as well.

Them cottonmouths ain`t gonna bother nobody. :D

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Looks like a good day to me. When I was a young man, me and a buddy used to hand line a creek and swamp botton that looks a lot like that! We kept what we caught and cooked them over a open fire.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fished creeks like that for many years in South Georgia, the Warrior, Bridge Creek, the Ochlocknee and many of them that did not even have a name. Back then we saw surprisingly few Cotton Mouths, but did see a banded water snake or tow bout every time. Back then we kept most everything over 4 inches long and they went into the frying pan.

Bream Pole

Do see a cotton mouth every now and then and I really watch where I step and look at tree limbs for them and also red wasp nests.

Now these swamp lakes are full of alligators, some of them 10' and over, and I would not put kayak in except when water is cold and they aren't stirring. I read where the gators feed very little after water drops to 65 degrees. That said I'll still use 10 ft jon. I have two Minn Kota transom mount electric motors. One a vintage 10 lb thrust and the other a 30 lb thrust. I have light (24lb) agm 12 volt 35 ah batteries for kayak and jon boat. Can go all day and then some in those swamp lakes. and if battery runs out of power can always paddle back. Will post pics I hope of fish when I go and if not fish at least some beautiful scenery. Targeting Jack (chain pickeral) and White Perch. (crappie)

Redbow

Bream Pole that's a great looking spot, my kinda place in the Swamp..I love those big cypress knees in there..I used to fish and hunt those kinds of places when I lived in SC for many years, wish I had stayed down there I was a fool for every leaving it.

Jack's and White Perch, yeah that's what we called the Chain Pickeral and Crappie White Perch growing up here in NC..Never heard a Crappie called a White Perch down in SC. There was a species of White Perch in the Santee Cooper lakes, they looked a lot like the White Bass. Good luck fishing that lake in the Swamp..

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Pretty spot, looks like it may hold a wood duck ..

ThomasCobb123

Do see a cotton mouth every now and then and I really watch where I step and look at tree limbs for them and also red wasp nests.
Now these swamp lakes are full of alligators, some of them 10' and over, and I would not put kayak in except when water is cold and they aren't stirring. I read where the gators feed very little after water drops to 65 degrees. That said I'll still use 10 ft jon. I have two Minn Kota transom mount electric motors. One a vintage 10 lb thrust and the other a 30 lb thrust. I have light (24lb) agm 12 volt 35 ah batteries for kayak and jon boat. Can go all day and then some in those swamp lakes. and if battery runs out of power can always paddle back. Will post pics I hope of fish when I go and if not fish at least some beautiful scenery. Targeting Jack (chain pickeral) and White Perch. (crappie)
One thing good about the gators is they keep that cottonmouth population under control.
Although I worry about them (the gators) at times too.
I had a relative down in Lumpkin, Ga. (Stewart County) who had a nice pond on his farm near Louvale and it got so thick with cottonmouths (not plain water snakes)and rattlesnakes that nobody hardly would come fish in it. He put a small gator in the pond and inside 6 months the snake population was down to almost nothing. I'm sure the gator didn't discriminate over which snake he ate though. Didn't affect the fishing.
One spring the gator disappeared and the guess was he went over the dam into the creek and wandered on down to the river. This was around the time they dammed it up down river and formed W.F. George.
A LONG time ago, obviously.
I like the looks of your spot...just making conversation here.
Have a good year.

Bream Pole

lots of wood ducks. Really pretty to run them up out of the willows as you move along and watch them head for another lake or the river. Wood ducks are my favorite. Tried to keep hatchery wood ducks on the little pond at the house but they cannot be domesticated.

61BelAir

Looks like a pretty place to me. Those are the kinda spots that are a blessing to fish whether they're biting or not. Bringing home some jackfish to eat would really top that day off.

61BelAir

Sounds like y'all concern yourself way more than necessary with Cottonmouths and Gators. Good luck on the fish though.

I agree. I'd rather go in the middle of summer when they're all stirring than be out there in this cold. I could do without those red wasps though.