Squirrel caliber - .17 Hmr vs 22 lr.??

tv_racin_fan

All depends on where the squirrels are. On the ground I can get em with a 22, in the tree I use a shotgun of some type. In the yard at the house is a good spot for a pellet gun.

devolve

head shot one with a 17 hmr at 137 yards once(range finder, thats how I know). fun times, but normally a 22 or a 410 is what I use. thinking about the mach II though...

awr72

a 17 does a lot of damage if your lookin for meat ,but if not go for it, if eatin the tree rats id go for a 22lr solid point or a air rifle and yes i bought me one of the new high power .177 caliber pellet guns and its awseome.all i have in my area is cat squirrels and they are a very challenging target to say the least i dont know bout a hundred yard shot?:flag:

Incawoodsman

Just wanted to update. Got a couple of squirrels with my Ruger hm2 and it certainly did not make a mess like the pictures above did. Shoots like a laser beam and puts a nice hole in them, but does not blow them to bits like shown above. I hit them both right behind the ear and it made a nice exit wound, you couldn't even see the entrance wound. Anyhow, the squirrels twitched for a couple of seconds and then fell. I know it was the nerves cause there was no brains left. But didn't blow its head off or anything.

rifleroom

i have a ruger 77/22 that I modified to 17 mach 2. Sighted in at 100 yards with the burris scope for 17 hmr on top. 1/4 inch group in the red. at 50 yards just under 1/2 inch high. Head shots only for squirrels though ( at least within 100 yards)

3d foam killer

i8t depends on wat ur goal is. if u want to just get rid of em or if u want to blow them up get a 17. if u to eat them or mount them or watev go with the 22.

Paddle

A 17 HMR will pop one like a prairie dog. I won't let my son hunt with his 22 he has to use his shotgun or pellet rifle.