The Nephilim

BANDERSNATCH

in the fiery furnace scene, the 4th person in the fire is described as the 'son of god'. the author had no idea about 'Jesus' at the time, or that God even had a son, and even if they thought He had a son they wouldn't know what he looked like. No doubt describing an angel in that passage.

newnature

I just did aGoogle search and indeed there were giants long ago, so I stand corrected there. But what proof is there that these giants were fathered by "sons of God"?

The Nephilim weren't fathered, they are a science project. Before the flood, these 'sons of God' were adding human DNA to animals. Some of those pictures show these Nephilim with a horn or other crazy looking things. After the flood, animal DNA was mixed with human DNA.

newnature

reread it. IMO, if the 'sons of god' are not angels, but men, then these men would have been presenting themselves before God on earth somewhere. not sure where that would have been, or why.... Passage begs lots of questions... If they are presenting themselves before God 'in heaven', that would mean that Satan has the ability to go there even though he was thrown down to earth. :huh: Just thinking out loud.

God was on the earth during Jobs days. He went back to heaven during the flood and after the flood he came back down to the earth. After God gave up on the nations, he went back to heaven. God came down again after Moses built that Ark.

Artfuldodger

Enoch 15:8

Now the giants, who have been born of spirit and of flesh,
shall be called upon the earth evil spirits,
and on earth shall be their habitation.
Evil spirits shall proceed from their flesh, because they were created from above: the holy Watchers was their beginning and primary foundation. Evil spirits shall they be upon the earth, and the spirits of the wicked shall they be called.
The habitation of the spirits of heaven shall be in heaven;
but upon earth shall be the habitation of terrestrial spirits, who are born on earth.

Holy watchers?

newnature

in the fiery furnace scene, the 4th person in the fire is described as the 'son of god'. the author had no idea about 'Jesus' at the time, or that God even had a son, and even if they thought He had a son they wouldn't know what he looked like. No doubt describing an angel in that passage.

That 4th person was an Angel.

BANDERSNATCH

God was on the earth during Jobs days. He went back to heaven during the flood and after the flood he came back down to the earth. After God gave up on the nations, he went back to heaven. God came down again after Moses built that Ark.

What is your source for this info? Are you referencing the Book of Enoch? I know Genesis says that God visited with Adam, but where do you get the other info?

welderguy

Ya'll ever heard the term "theophany"?
I believe it was a theophany of Jesus in the furnace and a theophany of Jesus that walked with Adam in the garden.Also who met Abraham in his tent door.
Reason is the verse that says "no man has seen God at any time..."

welderguy

I believe Heb.1:5 proves that "sons of God" in Gen.6 is definately not referring to angels.
Job 1&2 as well.

newnature

What is your source for this info? Are you referencing the Book of Enoch? I know Genesis says that God visited with Adam, but where do you get the other info?

He dwelt in the tents of Shem.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten

Ps. 139:
Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,”
Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day.
Darkness and light are alike to You.

Jer. 23:
“Am I a God who is near,” declares the Lord,
“And not a God far off?
“Can a man hide himself in hiding places
So I do not see him?” declares the Lord.
“Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?” declares the Lord.

Pr. 23:
The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Watching the evil and the good.

"Omnipresence"

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
This forum jumped the shark a loooonnnnnggg time ago.

The entire Spiritual Forum should be clearly labeled:

s-l1000.jpg

:cheers::cool::clap::cool::clap::cool::cheers:

About the Nephilim. The word Nephilim appears in the Bible 3 times. The first occurrence is in Noah’s day.

(Genesis 6:1-9 says, Now when men started to grow in number on the surface of the ground and daughters were born to them, 2the sons of the true God began to notice that the daughters of men were beautiful. So they began taking as wives all whom they chose. 3Then Jehovah said: “My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely, because he is only flesh. Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years.”

4The Nephʹi·lim were on the earth in those days and afterward. During that time the sons of the true God continued to have relations with the daughters of men, and these bore sons to them. They were the mighty ones of old times, the men of fame. 5Consequently, Jehovah saw that man’s wickedness was great on the earth and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time.

6Jehovah regretted that he had made men on the earth, and his heart was saddened. 7So Jehovah said: “I am going to wipe men whom I have created off the surface of the ground, man together with domestic animals, creeping animals, and flying creatures of the heavens, for I regret that I have made them.” 8But Noah found favor in the eyes of Jehovah. 9This is the history of Noah. . . .

Who were the sons of God that fathered the Nephilim?
The expression “sons of the true God,” is a Bible expression used to describe angels which is also found at Job 1:6 and 2:1. If these “sons of the true God” were merely men, questions would arise. Why would their offspring be “men of fame” more than those of the wicked, or of faithful Noah? Also why mention their marriage to the daughters of men as something special? Marriage and childbearing had been taking place for more than 1,500 years.

The view that the “sons of the true god,” is referring to angels is supported by Peter, who speaking of Jesus at 1 Peter 3:18-20 says, . . .He [Jesus] was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. 19And in this state he went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20who had formerly been disobedient when God was patiently waiting in Noah’s day, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.

Peter adds at, 2 Peter 2:4, 5, Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tarʹta·rus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment. 5And he did not refrain from punishing an ancient world, but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a flood upon a world of ungodly people.

Also Jude speaking of Jehovah says at Jude 1:6, And the angels who did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place, he has reserved with eternal bonds in dense darkness for the judgment of the great day.

Angels have the power to materialize in human form, and some angels have did so to bring messages from God. (See Luke 1:11-13, 26-28) However we see the Bible states that the disobedient angels are now “spirits in prison,” awaiting judgment day.” This seems to indicate that they are greatly restricted, unable again to materialize as they did prior to the Flood.

The Nephilim, were unauthorized hybrids from the union of materialized angels with, as the Bible puts it, the daughters of men. Since the Bible shows only Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives, survived the flood, the Nephilim died along with everyone else. The angels of course cast off their materialized bodies and returned to the spirit realm.

The word Nephilim appears twice more in the Bible, both in Numbers 13:33.

The Nephilim in Moses day.
(Numbers 13:1,2) Jehovah now spoke to Moses, saying: 2“Send out men to spy out the land of Caʹnaan, which I am giving to the Israelites. You are to send out one man from each ancestral tribe, each one a chieftain among them.”

(Numbers 13:25-33) 25At the end of 40 days, they returned from spying out the land. 26So they came back to Moses and Aaron and all the assembly of the Israelites in the wilderness of Paʹran, at Kaʹdesh. They brought back a report to all the assembly and showed them the fruitage of the land. 27This is what they reported to Moses: “We entered the land into which you sent us, and it is indeed flowing with milk and honey, and this is its fruitage.”

28"Nevertheless, the people who dwell in the land are strong, and the fortified cities are very great. We also saw the Anʹa·kim there. 29The A·malʹek·ites are dwelling in the land of the Negʹeb, and the Hitʹtites, the Jebʹu·sites, and the Amʹor·ites are dwelling in the mountainous region, and the Caʹnaan·ites are dwelling by the sea and along the Jordan.” 30Then Caʹleb tried to calm the people as they stood before Moses by saying: “Let us go up immediately, and we are sure to take possession of it, because we can surely conquer it.”

31But the men who went up with him said: “We are not able to go up against the people, because they are stronger than we are.” 32And they kept on giving the Israelites a bad report about the land that they had spied out, saying: “The land that we passed through to spy out is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people whom we saw in it are men of extraordinary size. 33And there we saw the Nephʹi·lim, the sons of Aʹnak, who are from the Nephʹi·lim, and in comparison we seemed like grasshoppers, both to us and to them.”

Note that verse 32 says some of the spies gave the Israelites a bad report. Other Bible translations call this report, ‘a bad account,’ ‘an evil report,’ ‘a negative report, etc..’ The Good News translation calls this report a ‘false report.’ The Hebrew word being translated is ‘dibbah or dibbat.’ Strongs exhaustive concordance of the Bible defines it as, slander, defaming, evil. So we see the spies were exaggerating and lying about the situation because they were afraid. Now note what happens.

(Numbers 14:1-11) Then all the assembly raised their voice, and the people continued crying out and weeping all through that night. 2All the Israelites began to murmur against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly spoke against them, saying: “If only we had died in the land of Egypt, or if only we had died in this wilderness! 3Why is Jehovah bringing us to this land to fall by the sword? Our wives and children will become plunder. Is it not better for us to return to Egypt?” 4They were even saying to one another: “Let us appoint a leader and return to Egypt!” 5At this Moses and Aaron fell with their faces to the ground before the whole assembled congregation of the Israelites.

6Joshua the son of Nun and Caʹleb the son of Je·phunʹneh, who were among those who spied out the land, ripped their garments apart, 7and they said this to all the assembly of the Israelites: “The land that we passed through to spy out is a very, very good land. 8If Jehovah is pleased with us, he will certainly bring us into this land and give it to us, a land that is flowing with milk and honey. 9But you must not rebel against Jehovah, and you must not fear the people of the land, for we will devour them. Their protection has been removed from them, and Jehovah is with us. Do not fear them.”

10However, all the assembly talked of stoning them. But Jehovah’s glory appeared on the tent of meeting to all the people of Israel. 11Then Jehovah said to Moses: “How much longer will this people treat me without respect, and how much longer will they not put faith in me in spite of all the signs that I performed among them?”

Why the Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years.
(Numbers 14:26-38) 26Jehovah then said to Moses and Aaron: 27“How much longer will this evil assembly keep up this murmuring against me? I have heard what the Israelites are murmuring against me. 28Say to them, ‘“As surely as I live,” declares Jehovah, “I will do to you just what I have heard you speak! 29In this wilderness your corpses will fall, yes, the whole number of you from 20 years old and up who were registered, all of you who have murmured against me. 30None of you will enter into the land that I swore to have you reside in except Caʹleb the son of Je·phunʹneh and Joshua the son of Nun.

31“‘“And I will bring in your children, who you said would become plunder, and they will get to know the land that you have rejected. 32But your own corpses will fall in this wilderness. 33Now your sons will become shepherds in the wilderness 40 years, and they will have to answer for your acts of unfaithfulness until the last one of your corpses falls in the wilderness. 34According to the number of the days that you spied out the land, 40 days, a day for a year, a day for a year, you will answer for your errors 40 years, for you will know what it means to oppose me.

35“‘“I, Jehovah, have spoken. This is what I will do to all this evil assembly, those who have gathered together against me: In this wilderness they will come to their end, and here they will die. 36The men whom Moses sent to spy out the land and who caused the whole assembly to murmur against him when they returned with a bad report about the land, 37yes, the men who brought back the bad report about the land will be struck down and die before Jehovah. 38But Joshua the son of Nun and Caʹleb the son of Je·phunʹneh, who were among those who went to spy out the land, will certainly keep living.”’”

Note that the spies that gave the false report died because of their lying. There could be no second outbreak of Nephilim as Newnature referred to, because the sinful angels were prevented from materializing after the flood. There were no Nephilim in the land as the spies reported, they were just telling lies.

Note; There’s no doubt there were men of extraordinary size in Bible times, they just weren’t of the Nephlim.

welderguy

About the Nephilim.

Who were the sons of God that fathered the Nephilim?
The expression “sons of the true God,” is a Bible expression used to describe angels...

I would love to hear your explaination of how this aligns with Heb.1:5:

"For unto which of the angels said he at any time,Thou art my Son,this day have I begotten thee?And again,I will be to him a Father,and he shall be to me a Son?"

Sounds very contradictory to me.

newnature

"For unto which of the angels said he at any time,Thou art my Son,this day have I begotten thee?And again,I will be to him a Father,and he shall be to me a Son?"

I took out something that makes no since, some kind of superiority teaching that seems to be added to Hebrews?

Hebrews 1:1-3:15;
From of old, Yahweh spoke to the Israelites fathers by the prophets in every manner, and in all ways; but in these later days, Yahweh has conversed with us, by his son; whom Yahweh has constituted heir of all things, and when Yeshua made a purgation of sins, then Yeshua sat down on the right hand of Yahweh. Wherefore, my brethren, who are called with a calling that is from heaven, consider this high priest of our profession, Yeshua the Messiah; because Yahweh has said, “O, if you would but heed my charge this day; do not be stubborn as at Meribah, in the wilderness, when your fathers put me to the test, tried me, though they had seen my deeds.

Forty years I was provoked by that generation; I thought, they are a senseless people; they would not know my ways. Concerning them, I swore in anger, they shall never come to my resting-place!” Beware, therefore, my brethren, lest there be in any of us an evil heart that believes not, and we depart from the living Yahweh; but we need to examine ourselves all the days, during the day which is called today; and let none of us be hardened, through the deceitfulness of sin; for we have part with the Messiah, if we persevere in this firm confidence, from the beginning to the end; as it was said, “O, if you would but heed my charge this day.” Do not harden your hearts to anger Yahweh.

Hebrews 1:4-2:18; 3:2-6 is what was left out?

Not at all. Read Hebrews the 1st chapter in context.

welderguy

Not at all. Read Hebrews the 1st chapter in context.

The context is that Jesus Christ is greater than all.

The angels have not been made sons.They are ministering spirits.They know nothing of the experience of grace,but they earnestly desire to look into the things of grace.(1 Pet.1:12)

We,as adopted sons,unlike angels,are no longer called servants but are now called the friends of God.He never gave that status to angels.

John 15:15
" No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."

Hope this helps.God bless.

marketgunner

there is a problem, Nephilim is not used in Gen 3 in connection with the "sons of god"

how do you equate nephilim with giant?