Barns TSX .224

BriarPatch99

Using the Miller formula(on JBM Calculations) ...

Even the 50 grain is in the yellow zone with a 1/12 barrel ...

At 3800 fps the # is 1.365, 3900 fps # is 1..377 ...

1.3 to 2.0 is the acceptable numbers ....

But many slow twist barrels really preform better twist wise than the calculations give ...

I guesstimate a .125" tip length

Last edited:

Permitchaser

that makes sense...the 53 needs 1:12 or faster in their loading manual under .22-250. Their site also list 55 as 1:12 twist required...but is isn't specific. I bet it would take 1:10 in a .22-250.

Have you checked your twist rate?

I looked online to see what a Rem 700, 22-250 twist rate was and all said 1:14. I have not checked my self yet

BriarPatch99

If someone has a 50 grain TTS X to measure the length of the "plastic" tip ... if they would ... I don't have one on hand to measure ...

If the rifle is a 1 in 14" twist . ... well that adds a little different "twist" to the stability factor...

Found out this helping a fellow GON member with a .244 Remington

Yes velocity will help ... don't know how much/if any faster the 50 grain can be pushed safely ...

Jester896

Senior Clown
.812 according to info on their site. the 50gr FB are .736. I was on the track of a little extra velocity with a 1:12...not sure he would get there with 1:14

BriarPatch99

Sorry I should have been more clear ...I need the measurement of just the tip ... Some Hornady VMax measure .125" . ..

BriarPatch99

The plastic tip moves the "weight" farther back in the bullet compared to a non tip bullet ... also a non tip bullet will be shorter in length of the same weight ...

Fairly sure the 1 in 14" would not be stable . ..but you never know

Jester896

Senior Clown
this got me a little fired up...I sized some .22-250 brass with the .308 and 6.5WSM I needed to do and dropped it in the tumbler

175rltw

BANNED
I talked to Barns yesterday and I can't use 55 grain because my Rem 70, 22-250 is 1-12 or1-14 twist. So now I ordered 50 grain that will work with 1-14
They said the 55 would wobble

ThTs what I’m saying. When I Tried 55 grain tsx flat bases in a 1-12” 223 I was getting oblong and keyhole shaped bulletholes and 100yards. Meaning they are wobbling or even hitting almost sideways at 100. I doubt you gonna make enough extra FPS in 22-250 to fix that. Maybe it’ll be ok at 100 but they will be unstable and tumbling by 200 yards. They also won’t be stable enough to perform properly on game even at 100. The 50’s are a good call.

Permitchaser

So I have a box of 50 gr. TSX. Loaded 4 of them .50 away from lands. Haven't shot them yet. Had to go to 50 cause my 22-250 is a 1-14 twist. After I shoot these I'll know if I need to seat them another .25

Jester896

Senior Clown
So I have a box of 50 gr. TSX. Loaded 4 of them .50 away from lands. Haven't shot them yet. Had to go to 50 cause my 22-250 is a 1-14 twist. After I shoot these I'll know if I need to seat them another .25

your talking about .050 and .025...right? go slow and look for pressure signs :)

Permitchaser

If someone has a 50 grain TTS X to measure the length of the "plastic" tip ... if they would ... I don't have one on hand to measure ...

If the rifle is a 1 in 14" twist . ... well that adds a little different "twist" to the stability factor...

Found out this helping a fellow GON member with a .244 Remington

Yes velocity will help ... don't know how much/if any faster the 50 grain can be pushed safely ...

Sorry this took so long I measured the case and 50 grain .50 off the lands and it was 2.77. If you just want the bullet let me know

Hit-n-Miss

One of many bucks my son has shot with .222 loaded with Barnes 53gr TSX.

Attachments

• CED4C047-1AA1-4C5F-A4F1-6A6A3EF97398.jpeg
    CED4C047-1AA1-4C5F-A4F1-6A6A3EF97398.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 77

BriarPatch99

Permitchaser..... What I need measured is the plastic tip of the individual bullet ... Nothing with the brass ...just the length of the tiny very top of the bullet .... just the plastic ... The Hornady V-Max 50 grain I have in hand is .125" long . .. the Orange tip..

They use that tip not only to protect the point shape ... it is also lighter than a lead/copper point ... It increases the ballistic coefficient also ... It also helps start expansion to start quicker...

But it does is also makes the bullet longer in length ...which comes into play with a slower twist rifling ... This is the reason you see Barnes says " For 1/9" ( or whatever twist they call for) twist or faster ...

I am using the Miller Stability calculator to see if the bullet in question will stabilise ...

Permitchaser

OK thanks for all your responses. Barns says since I have a 1-14 I need to shoot the 50 grain
I started with .050 off the lands. Shot in the wind at 100 yds and didn't like the results
So I went another .010 off the lands and with a small wind I shot at 50 yds and got a 3/4" group. That is not acceptable. 2 bullets touched to the left of center and the 3 rd touched the black. I think the wind stopped
I'm going to back out another .010 and wait for no wind
I have some 55 gr. TTSX balistc tip that I tried today and they key holed just as Barns said they would in my 1-14. I had to try

SC Hunter

Did Miles58 shoot the Encore An test lots Barnes on critters?

I remember a fella on here post 50gr TSX .223 on deer with some carnage post pictures. Bullet works well in my experience with the AR.

May be wrong but I know DaddyPaul shoots a encore.