45-70 barnes

leroy

Bought some 45-70 250 grain to load, cant get the crimp to hold the bullet i am putting what should be a strong crimp, lee turret press, but you can still move bullet with pretty minimal pressure. I could see it moving pushing them in the magazine on a lever gun as i have. Have loaded some monoflex 250 grain no problems. Suggestions?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Bought some 45-70 250 grain to load, cant get the crimp to hold the bullet i am putting what should be a strong crimp, lee turret press, but you can still move bullet with pretty minimal pressure. I could see it moving pushing them in the magazine on a lever gun as i have. Have loaded some monoflex 250 grain no problems. Suggestions?
Make your expander button smaller or buy larger diameter bullets

bighonkinjeep

Which dies are you using?
Lee dies typically adjust differently than most others because of the way Lee presses do not cam over.

If uaing Lee dies re read the instruction sheet for each die youre using and Id bet youll find you have made a small adjustment error somewhere that can be easily corrected.

Its been quite a while since I reloaded 45/70 or any other straight wall stuff on my Lee. I didnt keep my 45/70 long because of its softball trajectory so I only loaded a couple hundred many years ago. I do seem to remember that if using different dies with the Lee press they had to be setup slightly differently than their instructions because the Lee press doesnt cam over.
I hope you get it figured out.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
are they #30629 TSX FB?

are you using Hornady cases from FTX bullets?
Good call on cautioning using factory loaded Hornady cases that had FTX bullets.
Those cases are shorter than standard.

leroy

Which dies are you using?
Lee dies typically adjust differently than most others because of the way Lee presses do not cam over.

If uaing Lee dies re read the instruction sheet for each die youre using and Id bet youll find you have made a small adjustment error somewhere that can be easily corrected.

Its been quite a while since I reloaded 45/70 or any other straight wall stuff on my Lee. I didnt keep my 45/70 long because of its softball trajectory so I only loaded a couple hundred many years ago. I do seem to remember that if using different dies with the Lee press they had to be setup slightly differently than their instructions because the Lee press doesnt cam over.
I hope you get it figured out.
Lee press and dies

bighonkinjeep

Lee press and dies
Yeah, double check the instructions in the die box for proper setup for each die youre using. Maybe a tip there for getting them right. Maybe set each one up again and see if it makes a difference
Sometimes the die body could turn a little when tightening the locking ring if youre not careful.
Sorry thats all I got and I wish you the best.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That answers one question lol
Unless you have some FTX bullets to put in them, I would suggest ordering different full length cases for the Barnes.

Jester896

Senior Clown
are they .458 diameter bullets?

Hornady FTX cases are about .060 or so shorter than standard. You are probably crashing into the shell holder and not applying any crimp on the case with a standard seater die. I had my buddy cut .070+ off of my seater so that I could load either and crimp

Last edited:

leroy

Hornady FTX cases are about .060 or so shorter than standard. You are probably crashing into the shell holder and not applying any crimp on the case with a standard seater die. I had my buddy cut .070+ off of my seater so that I could load either and crimp
Yes, .458

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224_080746_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_080746_Chrome.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
i can't get why you would be having an issue with the bullet being loose in the case and being able to move it with your fingers. It shouldn't matter on a straight wall case how far it went into the die. If you only ran the case halfway into the die it should have sized the case and have more than .002 tension on the bullet. I wouldn't think you could move that with just your fingers.

What am I missing?

Reactions: Dub

tcward

Same on the 350 Legend Hornady brass..shorter.

tcward

Are you using a crimp die or a bullet seating die to crimp?