45-70 barnes

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
So, did the .450dia and .458dia come out of the same box??

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Same bullet, bad caliper
Then the only thing that I can think of is that because the 45/70 is a slightly tapered case that the die must also be slightly tapered.
Since the Hornady Cases are shorter the die might be close to its limits of being able to get proper tension much below the case mouth.
If you have access to a full length 45/70 case I would load everything the same and see if the wiggle goes away. If so, then you may need to take the same amount of metal off of the bottom of the die to match it's internal dimensions to the Hornady case length IF you want to use those Hornady cases. You can just back the die out the needed amount to load standard length cases.

If you load the full length cases and still have the wiggle, then I would try another sizing die if you can borrow one.

And while I am thinking about it, you don't need much flare, just enough to get the bullet base to start in the mouth.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I didn't know there were special sizing dies for FTX cases...at least I don't know who makes them. Regular dies should size them just fine to use either bullet in I would think.

Through all of this though I did learn that there were issues with the Lee powder through dies sizing the shorter case properly. I have a few sets of their pistol dies but no rifle dies.

I have both types of cases but none of the Barnes bullets...all I have are Hornady 350gr FP. I have RCBS dies for .45-70 and wonder if the sizing die will work for either case...might need to cut .070 off my sizing die too (nope). Heck... Hornady only has one set of .45-70 dies.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I didn't know there were special sizing dies for FTX cases...at least I don't know who makes them. Regular dies should size them just fine to use either bullet in I would think.

Through all of this though I did learn that there were issues with the Lee powder through dies sizing the shorter case properly. I have a few sets of their pistol dies but no rifle dies.

I have both types of cases but none of the Barnes bullets...all I have are Hornady 350gr FP. I have RCBS dies for .45-70 and wonder if the sizing die will work for either case...might need to cut .070 off my sizing die too (nope). Heck... Hornady only has one set of .45-70 dies.
I don't know of any sizing dies made specifically for ftx cases. It seems like people who use a lot of the short cases will shorten a sizer die on their own.
I wonder if it is a Lee Die thing or something that all 45/70 dies vs short cases will experience...?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
How about shortening the height of the shell holder?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Lee press and dies
Researching this on a few different forums, the common problem with the Hornady Lever Evolution cases is that the Lee Crimp die doesn't have enough adjustment to properly crimp the cases.
I found this from Lee.

Jester896

Senior Clown
dudgum.... Lee makes a set of Pacesetter Leverevolution dies...best I can tell is the dies are the same but adds a FCD for about $20 more.

Jester896

Senior Clown
nutshell from there
The standard 45/70 Factory Crimp Die will not work for Hornady LEVERevolution brass. The Factory Crimp Die is case length specific and crimps on the last .040" of the case at the case mouth.
The Factory Crimp Die needs to be shortened in order to reload this brass. We can make the modification here at the factory for $15.00 plus any applicable taxes and Shipping/Handling.
We would need you to send in your Factory Crimp Die and a sample case or the difference in length from where the case contacts the shell holder between standard 45/70 brass and the Hornady LEVERevolution brass.