Jehovah's Witnesses

Huntinfool

Perhaps my post was not as dripping with sarcasm as I intended...

rjcruiser

I was pointing out the irony of men blasting another person's faith in the same manner their own is blasted.

No...the difference is that we both "believe" in the same religious book. Just like the Mormons.

How you can get some of their beliefs out of the Bible is beyond me.

I usually point to John 1...

JB0704

I Gots Goats
RJ, I have talked and talked with those folks. What they see is just as rock-solid to them as what you see is to you. I don't agree with how they see it, I just have a tough time mocking another man's beliefs.

Michael F. Gray

I choose not to participate in most of this discusion. Admitedly I am a fundamental, conservative, Free Will Baptist. I'll confine my comments to the conduct at the funeral slighting some present. There is no excuse for poor manors. The quickest method to quinch the Spirit, and ruin all chances of wittnessing to the unsaved would be such a demonstration of poor conduct. Those servants who know the Lord, should be more mature. God help us to have a testimony before the Lord's people, and before a lost and dying world.

BANDERSNATCH

I usually point to John 1...

John 1:1 wont do you any good with a JW. They have their own bible, and it doesn't say "and the Word was God". It says "the Word was A god". :)

The Watchtower organization hides the names of those responsible for translating their New World Translation. I can understand not wanting to brag on these guys, but TO HIDE IT FROM RESEARCHING THEIR CREDENTIALS AS QUALIFIED LEGITIMATE TRANSLATORS? I can tell you why.....because they weren't qualified.

rjcruiser

I just have a tough time mocking another man's beliefs.

As do I. I don't think you'll find me or most others mocking their religion....just showing them where they've been deceived with a Holy Book that they "believe" in.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
No doubt there, JB I've never met a JW that I thought was a bad person....they just do what they are told, and refuse to weigh out the evidence.

Sounds like a lot of other Christians I know and know of.
:huh:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Nope, the GON forum isn't the place to mock anothers beliefs.
Discuss, but not mock.

1gr8bldr

Most religions get misrepresented. So much of what you hear is contrived. But I would like to know about something that seems to be a JW belief. No blood transfusions. Can someone verify if this is for all JW's and on what they base this on.

jigman29

I was one for about 16 years and I personally saw a man who was going to let his daughter die rather than give a blood transfusion.Thankfully his wife stepped in and signed the consent saving her life.I remember when my great grandpa died his funeral service was held in a church so we were not allowed by the religion to go inside so we had to wait outside until it was over.I was also not allowed to participate in classroom parties for the holidays,if we had a christmas party I would have to wait out in the hall until it was over.Also we had to stand during the pledge of allegiance without participating.As far as marriages we had to be chapperoned on dates by one of our parents even if we were on up in our 20's.They also couldn't just go to a lawyer and get a divorce they had to go to the elders and have proof of the spouse cheating before they could be "spiritually" divorced.A lot of the religion is geared toward adults,they celebrate no birthdays or other holidays but they can do wedding aniversaries and some even participated in mother and fathers day.Funniest thing to me was when you see bible stories where they have drawing of jesus and the deciples they all have long hair and beards but we could have no facial hair other than mustaches and our hair had to be kept cut.We couldn't smoke or chew because it was damaging to our bodies but you could set around and drink a beer lol.

1gr8bldr

I was one for about 16 years and I personally saw a man who was going to let his daughter die rather than give a blood transfusion.Thankfully his wife stepped in and signed the consent saving her life.I remember when my great grandpa died his funeral service was held in a church so we were not allowed by the religion to go inside so we had to wait outside until it was over.I was also not allowed to participate in classroom parties for the holidays,if we had a christmas party I would have to wait out in the hall until it was over.Also we had to stand during the pledge of allegiance without participating.As far as marriages we had to be chapperoned on dates by one of our parents even if we were on up in our 20's.They also couldn't just go to a lawyer and get a divorce they had to go to the elders and have proof of the spouse cheating before they could be "spiritually" divorced.A lot of the religion is geared toward adults,they celebrate no birthdays or other holidays but they can do wedding aniversaries and some even participated in mother and fathers day.Funniest thing to me was when you see bible stories where they have drawing of jesus and the deciples they all have long hair and beards but we could have no facial hair other than mustaches and our hair had to be kept cut.We couldn't smoke or chew because it was damaging to our bodies but you could set around and drink a beer lol.
Interesting, wonder if this is the case for the majority or just a sect that you were involved in?

jigman29

Pretty much standard but I am sure the ones in the mountains like we were were probably a little more strict than the ones in the city.

DartonHunter101

I am a JW, and if it happened like told there would be no excuse for that conduct. Christians reach out to everyone and try to encourage them just as Jesus did.
Most Jehovah's Witness are really friendly and kind people, but like all religions some have a few screws loose. Look a Judas, he was chosen by Jesus and was a terrible example of a Christian, BUT it did not make Jesus teachings wrong.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I just wished they'd QUIT beating on my door when I've just gotten off the midnight shift....

Haven't seen any in a couple of years when I went to the door nekkid.