A 94 Winchester story

longrangedog

Over 50 years ago a friend and I stopped at a yard sale in Dahlonega. We were both students at North Georgia College and money was tight. My friend picked up a 94 Winchester 30-30 with a $40 price tag. After he examined it we talked. He was broke and all I had was $40. He asked me to buy the rifle for him and he would bring the money to pay me back when he could. I did and, true to his word, he came by later with the $40. We both graduated and lost touch over the years. His wife called recently with bad news involving a terminal cancer diagnosis my friend received a couple weeks ago which prompted me to contact a couple more former classmate friends and pass on the bad news. We decided to make the trip to visit our old buddy. At his house a couple days ago we visited and told stories from our college years and learned more about the difficult treatments ahead for our friend. After lunch we sat at the table while our friend distributed things that he had accumulated over the years. He had a fantastic collection of high end knives and encouraged each of us to select multiple pieces. After the knives he announced another gift but he apologized to the other two buddies because this last gift was for me. His wife walked into the room with the old 30-30 model 94 and handed it to me. I fought back tears as he related the story of the yard sale over 50 years ago.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I like it and the deceased. You too for that matter.

bullgator

Hopefully that Winchester doesn’t change hands again anytime soon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I hate to hear about your friend, but that's a powerful story.

Dub

Make sure to take that old Winchester out every now and then and fire off a few rounds to honor your friend.

I find guns like this make for some great 4th of July celebration pieces. A couple rounds into the back yard….in memory.

specialk

that gun needs to kill a deer this year...any ole deer will do....

longrangedog

My friend passed 11 days after our visit. When his wife called to tell me she said she was going to send me a picture of Ronnie taken the day of our visit. The picture was of him in his wheelchair looking thru the front storm door so he could see us coming. She said he was so excited. I told my wife that this isn't a story about a rifle as much as a story about love between friends. I'm going to his service tomorrow. Please pray for the Blalock family. Kathy was his wife.

snuffy

Sorry for your loss.
Lost my ridding partner two years ago to covid.

Know it is tough! Prayers to all!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Longrangedog,

There is nothing on this earth like having a true "best friend" and I think that the "two of you" may have won the highest award achievement for being such wonderful friends to each other throughout all of this time together.

This is one of the most heart warming threads that I have ever read here on GON..... as it shows just how important it really is to have "best friends" such Ronnie and Lagrangedog. I will admit that I had to wipe some "extra moisture" away to see how to type my comments.

My Thoughts and Prayers go out to the entire Blalock family and also to Longrangedog during this loss of a best friend as such.