Cheap crossbow vs used compound bow

DYI hunting

Money's tight this year and I'm trying to cut corners so I can try taking a deer with a bow. I'm not having any luck finding a cheaper left handed used bow. Walmart has a Barnett Jackel crossbow for $200. Cheapest I can find a left handed bow for is $300.

How bad are the cheap crossbows compared to an older compound?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
How many ft per second is it.
Most will kill a deer easy at 30 yards, crossbows that is. Farther also.
Shooting a bow takes practice but the reward of killing a deer with it is greater.

DYI hunting

I used a BlackOut Intrigue last year that was just over 310 fps but never got a deer in range. I sold it at the end of the season. I was hitting a dinner plate out to 60 yards consistently.

I think the Walmart crossbow is rated at 315 fps.

transfixer

Check Craigslist for crossbows , I've seen some complete setups for sale on there for around $250, left handed compounds will be hard to find I would imagine, also might check some of the pawn shops? I picked up a Barnett crossbow cheap last year from a local pawn shop.

The Fever

Hold off a year and keep saving.

transfixer

I just looked on CL and evidently there is a pawn shop in Flowery Branch that has a couple of Horton crossbow packages for right at $200 ? might be worth checking out ?

DYI hunting

I haven't been in a pawn shop in years. Guess I'll hit all the local ones. I would rather have a compound anyway.

Hillbilly stalker

I shot a "Jackal" last year. Three shots, three dead deer all within 30 yards. I sold it because a crossbow just ain't for me. It has a amphedextrious safety, so I don't know why it would matter left or right handed. Came with a red dot scope.

DYI hunting

Are deer more likely to jump the string with a crossbow? They seem awful loud on youtube compared to a compound.

transfixer

This will be my first year hunting with a crossbow, and I asked that same question of a few friends that have been hunting and killed deer with their crossbow, in every case the answer was the arrow is moving so fast it would be virtually impossible for the deer to move fast enough.
Mine is makes more noise than I would like, but its extremely fast, so I don't think it will be an issue.

DYI hunting

Thanks for the offer feathersnantlers but my wife bought me an early birthday present last night. I got this