Who all leaves the vest at home?

PappyHoel

I wear a big vest. Y'all are better hunters than me because you don't. If you have a vest with a couple of pockets your just a little bit better than me.

If you kill a mountain gobbler on a mountain wma without a turkey vest you've reached legendary status.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
At times I feel like paring down my gear, but I don't know if I can do it! Things in my vest that I don't want to do without:

One each box call, slate call, mouth call.
chalk and abrasive for call conditioning
crow call and owl call
2 strikers
2 extra shotgun shells
Thermocell
10 wet wipes in Quart ziplock folded flat
stocking cap (early season for cold morning)
Bottle of Water
Snack or Snack Bar
And of Course the cushion sewn into the vest seat.

Now how else am I gonna carry all that?!!
JT

Learn to owl and crow with your mouth.
Carry box call in a belt holder. (Ole Tom pants have pockets for box call and strikers. Ole Tom shirt has zippered pockets for pot call and strikers.)
shells in your pocket
small pot call in pants pocket; scrubbie and chalk in a small plastic call box--in a shirt pocket. My old jungle fatigue tops have 4 bellowed buttoned(flaps) pockets on chest and sides. Will hold a lot of gear.
Thermocell in cargo pocket of pants.
Wet wipes or TP in baggie in rear or side pants pocket.
Mouth call in pouch on a neck lanyard
Small closed cell pad on a carbiner hooked to belt.
Leave the water in the truck or have a GI canteen on a webgear belt. Ammo/bandage pouch on webgear belt can carry what you don't want to carry in pockets.

Last edited:

fountain

At times I feel like paring down my gear, but I don't know if I can do it! Things in my vest that I don't want to do without:

One each box call, slate call, mouth call.
chalk and abrasive for call conditioning
crow call and owl call
2 strikers
2 extra shotgun shells
Thermocell
10 wet wipes in Quart ziplock folded flat
stocking cap (early season for cold morning)
Bottle of Water
Snack or Snack Bar
And of Course the cushion sewn into the vest seat.

Now how else am I gonna carry all that?!!
JT

Every bit of that and more will fit I to the quick sack. I had my tatr2 vest full, and all of it is now in my quick sack.

Fuller

I went back to a fanny pack 2 years ago. It’s so much easier. I bought a folding cushion I throw over my shoulder and it’s just a much easier setup than the vest. I can move quicker and quieter. It’s cooler in the summer. The only place I see that I miss the vest is having the ability to pack a decoy but I found myself carrying a decoy all season to use it twice so I’m not really out anything there.

fullstrut

I haven't used a vest since mid 90s probably. I do strap a fanny pack which is maid for turkey hunting. It's so much lighter and cooler than a vest when the temp starts to climb.

blindhog

I wear a belt with my innertube seat and possibles pouch sack.
In the possibles sack is TP wipes, water, snacks.
I went back to a very light vest with 4 pockets and other hides in it, but don't use them all.
I found out it's way easier to carry a heavy Tom out with the vest pouch than over my shoulder.

bnew17

I carry a vest because i have a bunch of stuff in it that i could need. Also provides an extra layer of protection from mosquitos.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Love mine and wear it during small game too, sometimes, LOVE having a pad to sit on and not get my butt wet:fine:

The fanny pack works too and I like them........

jlt4800

Love my vest as well...usually Start the season with way too much stuff in it!, but will lighten the load as the season moves along.

Last edited:

Bob Wallace

This will be the first year for me using one. I can already say I like everything being very accessible with it.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm sticking with the vest. It's not a big heavy one with dozens of pockets or anything like that but it keeps my calls handy and dry, plus it has a good seat cushion.