The Future of Georgia Deer Hunting

Vaughn726

I wish someone would post hunting clubs in the Vidalia area that is accepting members. And if some one could post a WMA in this area that isn't packed out would be appreciated.
I've looked and talked to every one I can find with out much success.
Seems in this area things are pretty much booked up.

Major Wader

Hunting on WMA's is like trout fishing on public streams. If it's crowded, walk further in.

I've fished Snowbird Creek in NC. Where the road is, it gets pounded. Walk up the trail about 2 miles before you start, and you will probably be fishing by yourself.

bullgator

I don't mean to sound like a muckraker but do you ever stop and look at the prices of hunting dues and just think, man, one day deer hunting is gonna be a rich man's sport? I might be alone when I say this but does it not seem that every year it gets a little more expensive and a tiny bit harder to do? I don't think it will be too terribly long until WMAs will be bursting at the seems with people and the only people hunting private land are the ones with connections. Its a bleak look into the future, that I know but everything looks bleak these days. :huh:
I’ve thought that for twenty years......and the fact is, those worries have already become a reality for many blue collar guys.
I really feel for the working class guy with a couple of kids trying to find a decent place to hunt. What irks me is that a lot of those lease prices have skyrocketed due to big city professionals paying high $/ac. only to hunt it twice a year.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
IMO some who say they can’t afford to hunt are not budgeting properly for the expenses related to it.
I can remember 35-40 years ago putting $5 a week in a drawer to cover my deer hunting club dues and miscellaneous expenses. Truth is with a young family some weeks it was tough to find the $5 but I made it a priority.

These days I spend many times that much but the expenses are still a priority to me.

I suspect that some among us have other costly hobbies and habits that if ceased could easily fund a $2000 hunt club fee. If those activities are your priority then that is your decision not really the scenario/topic of this thread.

Timberman

IMO its not so much money as changing times. My son goes to a high school in the north Atlanta suburbs and I can count on one hand the kids at the school that hunt. Their parents aren't introducing them to it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
This thread reminds me of the Chicken Little story.

Hunting will die out about the same time mankind goes extinct. Hunting was once a necessity, then it became a vocation then an avocation. One day it may become a luxury.

Those who wish to hunt will find a way just like those who wish to complain.

Vaughn726

Different scenario here. No shortage of hunters at all. Seems like about half of the folks I talk to hunt and that's including their kids. It's hard to tell there is a decline in hunters as I'm of the thought there are less places to hunt. Around here we have plenty of people that hunt and a precious few that will involve people that are not in their close circle of freinds.
I'm not referring to where you might hunt but this is what I've found in this area.

mattuga

Banned
IMO some who say they can’t afford to hunt are not budgeting properly for the expenses related to it.
I can remember 35-40 years ago putting $5 a week in a drawer to cover my deer hunting club dues and miscellaneous expenses. Truth is with a young family some weeks it was tough to find the $5 but I made it a priority.

These days I spend many times that much but the expenses are still a priority to me.

I suspect that some among us have other costly hobbies and habits that if ceased could easily fund a $2000 hunt club fee. If those activities are your priority then that is your decision not really the scenario/topic of this thread.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

grady white

This thread reminds me of the Chicken Little story.

Hunting will die out about the same time mankind goes extinct. Hunting was once a necessity, then it became a vocation then an avocation. One day it may become a luxury.

Those who wish to hunt will find a way just like those who wish to complain.

^^^^^
this is spot on as well

Lilly001

Hunting is a different thing to different people.
To some it is a pleasant diversion to every day drudgery. To others it is a passion.
The desired results are also different.
Some are directed at trophy racks, while others pursue food for the table. Most of us are somewhere in between.
I remember my early days hunting with my dad.
While a nice deer was always the desired prize, we spent most of our time seeking lesser quarry. Many a squirrel or rabbit ended up in the pot. And I remember those days with greater fondness than much of the dedicated deer hunting days.
The small game hunting was much more engaging than the deer hunting. And we often were successful.
My point is that we seem to neglect the non deer hunting aspect in both opportunities and time. If you want to positively engage a young or new hunter hunt small game and leave the deer hunting for later.

175rltw

BANNED
The wma’s parking pullouts might be busting at the seems but it thins right out 400-800yards from the road. Like your alone. I like public land- I buy tags in other states and travel. Way way better than being in a club or on a lease. , though I do have a few places of private land I do chores in order to hunt a couple times a year and I have a little place of my own I can hunt- but those deer I already know what they’ll do- so I don’t usually mess with them as it’s kind of boring.

8pointduck

That’s pretty much the point the OP is making. Y’all, I think the man just wanted a discussion about it, not be told to sit on the couch and watch tv. The costs we all incur while chasing our passion is slowly weeding out people along income levels. Some say it’s whining, I say it’s being responsible, and having your priorities in check. Nic has a good point. Those who love to hunt, will find a way.

True, but it is beginning to get tougher in finding a way. If your in a club or whatever you have you better stick with it. And ,retirement/ disability makes it worse.

8pointduck

Not a problem for many. Just poach/steal from the evil, rich, out-of-town landowners

There is always someone who is going to post this and it is the biggest bunch of garbage. Some folks cannot just give up everything or may have other pressing issues that can cause for them not to be able to .

Latest posts