Took the 06

T.P.

Banned
I done the bowhunting only deal there for 6 years, with a stickbow. Killed a pile of deers, a bear, and a small wad of hogs. This year I toted a rifle during gun season. I had forgotten how fun hunting could be. I no longer worried myself sick with the wind, did I have enough cover for a animal to get within 10 yards and me still draw my bow. I didn't have to worry about all the hundreds of things a bowhunter has to worry about every time he picks up a stick and string.

I enjoyed sitting on a greenfield watching 15 does and littluns. I enjoyed sitting on the ground overlooking a big ol swamp bottom. I enjoyed putting the crosshairs on a small 8 and going pewpewpew in my mind and then watching him walk off. I hunted a couple dozen times and killed nothing, but I still enjoyed it.

Many times you forget how fun something is while trying to keep up with others and fit in.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Well said T, I love bow hunting, I carry it plenty during rifle season. However, I don't ever plenty to give up the gun, its just another way to hunt and as long as I get to spend time in the woods, I'm happy.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I done the bowhunting only deal there for 6 years, with a stickbow. Killed a pile of deers, a bear, and a small wad of hogs. This year I toted a rifle during gun season. I had forgotten how fun hunting could be. I no longer worried myself sick with the wind, did I have enough cover for a animal to get within 10 yards and me still draw my bow. I didn't have to worry about all the hundreds of things a bowhunter has to worry about every time he picks up a stick and string.

I enjoyed sitting on a greenfield watching 15 does and littluns. I enjoyed sitting on the ground overlooking a big ol swamp bottom. I enjoyed putting the crosshairs on a small 8 and going pewpewpew in my mind and then watching him walk off. I hunted a couple dozen times and killed nothing, but I still enjoyed it.

Many times you forget how fun something is while trying to keep up with others and fit in.

Great post T.P. :cool: I had lots of deer in bow range this year and saw several nice bucks with a bow in my hand but never released an arrow. I don't lower my standards while bow hunting just to keep up with everyone else. I also don't look down on others for the way they hunt.

Kris87

I certainly don't think die hard bowhunters hunt only with a bow to "fit in". I know I don't. Its hard for many to understand I guess, I get questioned about it year after year. If you don't understand it 100%, then you will never see it as your only weapon of choice. Its a lifestyle for me.

The Fever

Brothers with big foot?

Attachments

• TP.jpg
    TP.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 169

The Fever

I agree. We do get caught up some times. However, I have never been stressed out while deer hunting with the bow. Seems like if you are bow hunting and the fun is gone, you werent doing something right.

T.P.

Banned
I agree. We do get caught up some times. However, I have never been stressed out while deer hunting with the bow. Seems like if you are bow hunting and the fun is gone, you werent doing something right.

So.... if you are bow hunting and want to tote a rifle, you aren't doing something right?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
It's also why he isn't invited to go to grandma & grandpa's house for our annual kansas hunt. :)

What if I promise to shave before I go?

Finch

It is all hunting and it's all fun. I have hunted with bow only for several years except for a few times I carried my rifle but never shot anything. I went to traditional about 4 years ago and have only taken 1 deer but it was awesome. I have thought about going back to a compound but I can't do it. I am trying to get past that and not worry about what people think. I guess what I'm trying to say is bow hunters look at rifle hunting as cheating some trad hunters look at compound bow hunting as cheating. I am trying to get in the mind set of just hunt and don't worry about what other people think and don't criticize people for not doing it the way you do.

The Fever

So.... if you are bow hunting and want to tote a rifle, you aren't doing something right?

No man. To each his own and all hunters together is my thing. I am not bashing a gun hunter. I am just saying that if you were burned out on bow hunting, you weren't bow hunting right. It should remain fun and easy. It IS harder though and there are more things to be aware of, but it should not ever quit being fun. It shouldn't be mentally taxing.

The Fever

It is all hunting and it's all fun. I have hunted with bow only for several years except for a few times I carried my rifle but never shot anything. I went to traditional about 4 years ago and have only taken 1 deer but it was awesome. I have thought about going back to a compound but I can't do it. I am trying to get past that and not worry about what people think. I guess what I'm trying to say is bow hunters look at rifle hunting as cheating some trad hunters look at compound bow hunting as cheating. I am trying to get in the mind set of just hunt and don't worry about what other people think and don't criticize people for not doing it the way you do.

Well said. I use both a recurve and a compound.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Ahhhhhhhh. ...that's what the Facebook friend request was all about. Lol.

Sorry...one first impression and ya blew i .

what if I sleep in the van, your grandparents aint even gonna see me?

Ihunt

I bowhunt because using the gun isn't fun any more. If it ever gets that way with my compound I'll pick up a recurve. After that, the tv remote.

deast1988

You boys settle down. Theres no deer in Kansas. Just wind and cold! :huh:

Hang your head just right you might can spot atleast one out yonder. I seened one, once..... Bow gun we all hunt, I seen one tonight. You might see an apple I might not. I've been dabbling in this Trad thing lots more to account for that's a fact. I think ol T.P. Has quite some kills under his belt so hats off to you. But Fever don't be pushing your views on me. Are you Gator??? Or a Nole? Find the Osceolas and I'm sure you'll have some friends up here come see you down there!