Thermacell Question

alan

I recently bought a Thermacell and when I use it smokes alot! A friend of mine say his only puts out small puffs of smoke every now and then. Is it normall for one to smoke this much? (By the way I have not had even one mosquito buzz so it is working!):banana:

TDBone

With a new 'card' mine smoke pretty steadily at the beginning but that slows off after an hour or so.

If yours is smoking a ton, maybe see if something else is on the plate that might be burning.

Either way, I have been in a ground blind with that joker smoking full blast because of a new card and had game walk within 5 yards of me and not smell it.

You should be fine!

Aren't they awesome though? I have forgotten that the mosquitoes are even supposed to be out there, I haven't seen one in a LONG time.

alan

Yeah mine smokes from begining till the end, but a bonus is it helps me keep track of wind direction!

debo

Aren't they awesome though? I have forgotten that the mosquitoes are even supposed to be out there, I haven't seen one in a LONG time.[/QUOTE] I ve soaked my old cards in tink 69 and used during the rut and man it will put the odor out there.

alan

"I ve soaked my old cards in tink 69 and used during the rut and man it will put the odor out there."

Funny you say that my brother and I were wondering why they didn't have scent pads for them!

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Don't worry about it smoking, just means it is working. Anyone else have sticker shock at the price of the refills this year?

Hunter-Steve

TDBone

Don't worry about it smoking, just means it is working. Anyone else have sticker shock at the price of the refills this year?

A hunting guide I was with a month ago told me that he just buys refills from the womens hair section in places like Walmart...apparently they are used in some sort of women's appliance and are VASTLY cheaper than the ones sold for the Thermacell. I will find out what they were and post that.

Public Land Prowler

I just bought a new one,and it won't even make it smoke.It just won't get hot enough.First time I have had such a sorry one from them.Usually it takes a few months before they quit working.

T

Taximan

They do have unscented pads they sell and a unit they call Thermascent that is the same as the Thermacell unit but it has an extra little platform that snaps on to the grill of the thermacell over the heat element and holds the pad about an inch over the heat element. They say that scents poured on the scent pads dont need to get near as hot as the inpregnated mosquitoe pads do. The "blank" scent pads are about an 1 1/4" X 4" and almost 1/4" thick or so . I just recently purchased one of the Thermascents from the Thermacell homepage. Go to Thermacell.com and you can see them. I havnt used mine yet but I can imagine its gonna work well for a scent attractant... I cant wait to try it out this year.

Take care... Sam

Eyeluv2hunt

A hunting guide I was with a month ago told me that he just buys refills from the womens hair section in places like Walmart...apparently they are used in some sort of women's appliance and are VASTLY cheaper than the ones sold for the Thermacell. I will find out what they were and post that.

Not sure about Wal-Mart. But here is the link where you can buy the butane cartridges only. They have a 12 pack for 29.99

http://www.thermacell.net/haircare/bulk.asp

alan

Thanks for all the info, I will have to try one of those Thermascents!

Eyeluv2hunt

They do have unscented pads they sell and a unit they call Thermascent that is the same as the Thermacell unit but it has an extra little platform that snaps on to the grill of the thermacell over the heat element and holds the pad about an inch over the heat element. They say that scents poured on the scent pads dont need to get near as hot as the inpregnated mosquitoe pads do. The "blank" scent pads are about an 1 1/4" X 4" and almost 1/4" thick or so . I just recently purchased one of the Thermascents from the Thermacell homepage. Go to Thermacell.com and you can see them. I havnt used mine yet but I can imagine its gonna work well for a scent attractant... I cant wait to try it out this year.

Take care... Sam

Used one last year with Code Blue and had several small bucks come in on a string to it. Hopefully this year their dad will catch a whiff :shoot:

ClydeWigg3

If you buy the cartridges for curling irons, where do you get the pads themselves?

debo

yea tell us how. The used scent pads dont cost me anymore money I just put them in a zipp loc bag after bow season and soak till mid nov and they work just fine for me the last 2 years. They make the butane cartridges for curling irons and they are cheaper my sister turn me on to this.