The "Spit Patch"

DaddyPaul

I headed out to the range this morning with one of my Encores in its 209x50 scoped configuration to sight it in. I got there about 7:30 before it got too hot (82 degrees). My first load was two 50 grain pellets of 777 with a 250 grain T/C Shockwave on top. After a few sighting shots I proceeded to fire a three shot group at 100 yards. They flew into an honest 1.25" group. After repeating this for a group that measured just under 1.50"s I stepped up to three 50 grain pellets with the same bullets. These impacted about 5 inches higher than the other load so I made a slight adjustment to the scope. I then proceeded to fire two back to back 1.50" groups. Needless to say I was pretty tickled to get this kind of accuracy with a muzzleloader. One thing that I wanted to pass along to some of you that may be starting out with muzzleloaders is to use a "spit patch" between every shot at the range. I shoot a round and then take a pre-soaked patch (T/C's No. 13 bore cleaner) and swab the barrel out. I follow this with a clean, dry patch and shoot again. I shot 23 times this morning and never once had to put any extra pressure on the ramrod. Every bullet seated just as easily as the first. If you have shot a muzzleloader much at the range without spit patching you probably noticed that the more you shoot the harder it is to seat the bullets. A lot of this is due to fouling in your barrel and a ring of crud that builds up right ahead of your breech plug. Spit patching is the only way that I can truly evaluate the grouping of my ML as the barrel is as close to the same every shot as you can get without completely cleaning between every shot. By using the spit patch not only will you get consistent barrel conditions which leads to better shooting your clean up time after you are done is reduced as well. I soaked my breech plug in some soapy water and ran two pre-soaked patches through the barrel and it was clean as a whistle. A little Bore Butter and she is ready for work again. Sorry for the long read but I figured it might help somebody out this season.

leoparddog

I agree DaddyPaul - When at the range I also use a spit patch. But mine is really wetted with spit. When I've shot at rondevous using my sidelock a spit patch is the best deal. I just hold 2-4 patches in my cheek like chewing tobacco and use them for between shot wiping and for patching the lead ball.

Works like a charm.

ufg8r93

"Spit patch"

How do you keep the patch from shoving all the crud back into your breech plug when you run the barrel thru with it?

DaddyPaul

I guess the solvent breaks it down and removes it? The spit patch comes out very, very black and the dry patch afterwards is a little cleaner. You can actually feel the "crud ring" when you hit it with the spit patch and sometimes it is hard to pull the ramrod back out of the barrel but once you bust it up you can continue to swab a few times and the next bullet will seat easily. Just try to do the same thing every shot to ensure that the condition of the bore is constant from shot to shot. On a side note when I pulled the breech plug after 23 shots it was no dirtier than usual and the barrel cleaning was a lot easier.

fishdog

This is important when target shooting. It is a good idea to invest in a patch worm. It is just a matter of time before you are going to loose one in the barrel.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
How often to do guys remove the breech plug and clean it?
When you push the patch down the barrel to clean it or you using the ramrod or a cleaning rod? Bought a CVA .50 this year and I'm new to the in-line guns.

SPITCAN

I have a CVA .50 also..I clean mine after every other hunt. It usually does'nt need it but I've got into the habit of it. It's a nice gun to be on the lower cost end. It appears to be better quality than some of the more expensive ones!

DaddyPaul

Southpaw,
I clean my breech plug after every range session along with the gun itself. I use my regualr ram rod with an extended jag on it for swabbing the barrel at the range.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Went and bought a jag and some spit patches yesterday, going down to the range to shoot it this weekend. Also traded out the 200 gr. T/C Shocks for the 250 gr. Hope to get a good grouping, I think I'll start off with 100 grains of triple 7 and see how it does.

raghorn

Daddypaul

Are you finding that the 777 burns cleaner than pyrodex? I've heard it does and that you get slightly higher velocities with 777 than an equal charge of pyrodex.

Last edited:

duckbill

raghorn said:
Are you finding that the 777 burns cleaner than pyrodex? I've heard it does and that you get slightly higher velosities with 777 than an equal charge of pyrodex.

MUCH cleaner :clap: . I believe the 777 is faster than Pyro, but my Chronograph bit the dust before I got a chance to prove it :mad: .

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
bumping this back to the top. good info DP. We shot last weekend and I was taking out the breech plug every time I ran a patch. So I sould run the patch from the end and not from the breech after every shot?

Flintrock

Using a "Spit Patch "as yall call it is a good idea.
It not only keeps the bore clean for consistant shooting and easier cleaning.IT also puts out any possible hot ambers in the barrel to prevent the next charge from going off when it is being loaded !!!!
No need to remove the breach every shot.Only swab it out.
Clean thouroughly when you feel it its needed. about every 5-10 shots.

The term "spit patch" should be in name only. We should not use spit because spit contains salt. Dont want to pour salt down the barrel do we ?

goindeep

daddy paul- are those the regular shockwaves, bonded, or the new ez glide? getting ready to shoot the new prohunter...thanks

01Foreman400

Staff member
I just bought my first Muzzleloader as well. Great information with some great questions.

Thanks for bring this back up to the top.

Darrell

DaddyPaul

goindeep,
I used the regular Shockwaves last year and smacked three bucks down here in Florida with them. The two that ran a little ways left a BUNCH of blood to mark their trail. Since I have some left over I will probably stick with them this season? How did the Pro Hunter shoot?

Sorry it took so long to respond!

RamblinWreck

Talk about timing! I was having fits today with elevation changes at 100 yards (at 25 or 50 yds the deer will be dead), but I was only swabbing the barrel after 5 shots, and by then massive crud had built up. This is just what I was about to post a question about! I will try again tomorrow using the wet patch between shots.

DP: is your first cold shot on call after cleaning? I don't want to leave the gun fouled for hunting - or should I? I have a CO2 unloader, so I don't shoot it unless its at a deer on hunting trips.

I clean my ML after every day I shoot it now. I always remove the breech plug and clean everything. This is easy to do on my T/C in-line with a 7/16" socket and extesion.

PS these old eyes love using a scope this year. :cool:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I agree DaddyPaul - When at the range I also use a spit patch. But mine is really wetted with spit. When I've shot at rondevous using my sidelock a spit patch is the best deal. I just hold 2-4 patches in my cheek like chewing tobacco and use them for between shot wiping and for patching the lead ball.

Works like a charm.

I do the same thing. When huntin`, I use a patch lubed with rendered bear oil, but for on the line shootin` soon as you load, I always spit patch.

Latest posts