Deer Calls For Bow Season?

TommyA(GA)

Which deer calls are effective during bow season here in Georgia? I grew up hunting in Virginia where bow season didn't start until mid October and we used grunt calls or bleat calls that time of year, but what about for the month of September here in Georgia?

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
down here it is simple, just get a tin can and pour about a 1/4 cup of shelled corn in it, shake it every 30 min. or so!

oregonbowhunter

tommy walton grunt call i called in 4 on opening morning and 3 on the next day for georgia bow

satchmo

I think that the very early season is my best times that I have had any luck with calls. I use a primos, very small ajustable range call. I set it between young buck and doe bleat . I just think that once the bucks start to split up that they come running to this call to see if anyone is trying to lay claim to their spot. I am not sure,but it works for me sometimes. I have grunted them in a few time here in georgia,but it seems that alot of bucks are call shy by the rut.

KGauger

A hunting buddy had success with a fawn in distress call. He had 2 does come in close & spook. He called them back with the fawn in distress call. Arrowed one doe and they both ran off but not together. He then got the other doe started back with the call but she wouldn't come into bow range. We had to track the doe he hit but finally he got another arrow in her. My other hunting buddy & I didn't know that he had a fawn in distress call and couldn't figure out what was making that terrible noise.

00Beau

So it seems like lightly grunting is the way to go mixed with a little bleating.

That is what I do, if I can see the deer and it looks my way, I do not call any more. They usually come but it may take 10 minutes to an hour, last year three bleats and a couple grunts he looked my way and I never called again an hour later he was at 40 yards, then dead. He was only about 100 yards away at anytime, Saw him stand up out of bed.

dadsbuckshot

FAWN BLEAT/DISTRESS.....

I only use it during bow season - great for does, brings them in running - at least for me. If your looking for table meat it works well. May also bring in other critters like yotes for you to take pop shots at - happy hunting...