Budget coyote hunting.

Boot

Coyote/Varmint hunting is entirely new to me, so bear with me if i sound like such a newbie. The myriad of calling equipment, lights, and latest/greatest gadgets for coyote hunting seems worse than deer hunting! I've been reading alot of post's lately, and it seems that there are quite a few experinced coyote slayers out there. So, here goes, if you didnt have a big budget, what would you consider a MUST HAVE for coyotes? If you could only have 2 calls, what would they be? Does anybody have any good results with the "budget" electronic callers for around 50 bucks at Bass Pro? What kind of light have you had the best results with? Super bright? Not so bright? Red filter or not? Do I really need a gazzilion watt Q-beam, or will an LED Streamlight-Stinger do the job? Do you set up in a deer stand, a pop-up blind, or just hang on the edge of a field? Homemade equipment doesn't scare me in the least, so if you've got something that you have built from scratch, or modified and improved, and dont mind sharing, please tell me about it. I appreciate any help or advice ya'll can send. If anybody wants to "school" another fellow on coyote hunting, I would be willing to tag along, and leave my rifle at home, and just see how its done, and listen to the correct way to call and set up to be effective. Thanks again for any info or advice.

smwright

I am new to the predator hunting sport myself. I recommend varmintal.com. He has some good tips on varmint hunting and there is a write up on making your own e-caller and decoy. I have made both of them with some modifications.

bnew17

Coyote/Varmint hunting is entirely new to me, so bear with me if i sound like such a newbie. The myriad of calling equipment, lights, and latest/greatest gadgets for coyote hunting seems worse than deer hunting! I've been reading alot of post's lately, and it seems that there are quite a few experinced coyote slayers out there. So, here goes, if you didnt have a big budget, what would you consider a MUST HAVE for coyotes? If you could only have 2 calls, what would they be? Does anybody have any good results with the "budget" electronic callers for around 50 bucks at Bass Pro? What kind of light have you had the best results with? Super bright? Not so bright? Red filter or not? Do I really need a gazzilion watt Q-beam, or will an LED Streamlight-Stinger do the job? Do you set up in a deer stand, a pop-up blind, or just hang on the edge of a field? Homemade equipment doesn't scare me in the least, so if you've got something that you have built from scratch, or modified and improved, and dont mind sharing, please tell me about it. I appreciate any help or advice ya'll can send. If anybody wants to "school" another fellow on coyote hunting, I would be willing to tag along, and leave my rifle at home, and just see how its done, and listen to the correct way to call and set up to be effective. Thanks again for any info or advice.

Get you a "Haydells cottontail distress" mouth call... They are less than 10 bucks. I got one about 8 years ago and still use the same one. As for a light. I use a rechargeable spotliglht or 4 D maglight. That along with good camo , you can kill varmints.

FishinMech

Ok boot get ready to read a lot of web sites.
For building one here is a start http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Next for building one this one, http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Again if you want to buy one get this one its a good price and i am thinking of getting one my self all my calls got lost in the move about 6 months ago. http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=467740 he is a member on here.

Next the mouth call i am going to get is going to be the ga peach from Raw Dog Game Calls on here. And then i couldnt tell you the other one i am going to get.
Also the calls at bps are ok but not the best i like the homemade ecalls.

You hunt from the ground man always try to put the sun to your back and the wind to your face or side. Set up in bushes or anything to hide yourself.

And last but not least listen to the radio shows i am going to post the web site lots of info to obtain from this show.
http://www.predatortalkcast.com/Home.html

Hope this helps man anything else ask.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7

I'm in the same boat. This will be my first year after coyotes. I'm going to use a cheap cassette deck and a distress call tape. We'll see what happens.

dukedog1

like bnew17 said, haydels or another call for less than 10 bucks. You are gonna need a good facemask and some gloves. I use my turkey hunting setup. #1 buck through a shotgun if you don't have a rifle. any rifle that you can hit with will work. My light is $15 mag with some red celophane and rubber band. don't worry about sounding correct. No two people talk the same so not all dying animals sound the same. how you sound is more important than what you sound like. put a lot of emotion in your calling. Remember you are just before dying, about to get eaten to death by something! preadators like a free meal.

rawdawg2034

Hey guys stay tuned we will have a coyote hunting seminar FEB 7 at Back Woods outdoors in ALBANY it is free to attend . you could win a fox pro fx3 ,hand calls and training videos it will be awesome.
The georgiapha.com will have a listing also.

JohnyBlaze999

I have one of them bright, much brighter than the version of laser genetics, and you can focus the beam to a small point. Supplied with the mounting option for 1 and 30 mm areas. Can be mounted on a Picatinny rail.

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
A hand call, cammo, and any gun you shoot well is about all the equipment you will need. Learn the habits of your target, hunt the wind, stay in the shadows, and use terrain your advantage. Don't get discouraged if you don't see a predator. For every one you will ever see there will be five or six you don't see. Don't be worried about hunting during the day, scout a lot, and have fun

DLH_Woodstock

Clearing a field today I had a female coyote stand there and watch me for for two minutes. Now I know where I need to set traps and try calling. I've never tried to call one in but it's coming.

Yotedawg

Clearing a field today I had a female coyote stand there and watch me for for two minutes. Now I know where I need to set traps and try calling. I've never tried to call one in but it's coming.

Could you tell if she had dropped her pups yet?